Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 1: Creating the Mod Folder

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Lesson 1: Creating the Mod Folder

Hello and welcome.
    Some of you already have mod folders that you downloaded, such as my barebones mod folder for Kingdoms. For this class I would prefer that you create the new ModBasics folder

and use it for your assignments. This will make it much easier to troubleshoot if I have you upload files. If you are running a custom mod folder that I do not have, I will not

be able to run your files on my machine.

Unpack the game files
    Inside your M2TW folder is a folder called tools/unpacker. Run unpack_all.bat. It will ask you a couple of times to type Y to confirm. If you have already unpacked, running this

again will not hurt anything. It takes about 10 minutes to run the unpacker, depending on how fast your machine is.

Create a mod folder
    If you have Kingdoms installed you already have a folder inside your M2TW folder named mods. If you do not have Kingdoms, then create a folder and name it mods. Inside that

folder create a folder named ModBasics. This will be the folder we are working from for this course.

Create other folders
    Inside your ModBasics folder create a folder named data

Inside the data folder make 3 folders: sounds, text, and world.

Inside the world folder make a folder called maps.

Inside the maps folder make two folders: base and campaign

Inside the campaign folder make a folder called imperial_campaign.

Copy original files

Go to the original data\sounds folder and copy the following files to your ModBasics\data\sounds folder. The size of this folder should be 6.45MB
    audio.dat
    audio.idx
    events.dat
    events.idx

Copy all the files from M2TW\data\world\maps\base to ModBasics\data\world\maps\base

Copy all the files from M2TW\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign to ModBasics\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign.

Create batch and config files
    Open Notepad and type in the following: medieval2.exe @ModBasics.cfg Note that there is a space between the 2 and the @. Click File then Save As.. and name it ModBasics.bat

Create a copy of medieval2.preference.cfg and rename it ModBasics.cfg Open the file with Notepad and add the following lines:
    [features]
    mod = mods/ModBasics ;this is the path to your mod folder

[log]
    to=logs/ModBasics.system.log.txt ;this is the path where your logfile will be stored at
    level=*script* trace

[io]
    file_first = true ;this tells the game engine to use your files first, then the original files

[video]
    windowed = true ;this runs the game in windowed mode so that when it crashes it doesnt crash your entire machine

Delete timestamped files
    If you have just unpacked for the first time then you will need to delete two files from the original M2TW\data folder or the game will crash when you enter the battle map:
    descr_geography_new.txt
    descr_geography_new.db

Run the game
    Double click ModBasics.bat to run the game. The first time you run the game it will recreate the files you deleted and also create some folders in your ModBasics\data folder for

saved games and stuff like that.

The size of your mod folder should be 33.8 MB.

If you have any problems getting the game to run, go through the list again and make sure you did everything. If you still cannot get the game to run, then post details.
    Last edited by GrnEyedDvl; November 16, 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Re: Lesson 1: Creating the Mod Folder

i see no audio.dat or audio.idx files in my sound folder. did u mean music? even so, i did everything and ran it and it looks good.

another thing tho, the packs, saved games, and preferences folders dont appear in the ModBasics folder, they appear in a seperate folder called ModBasic. i've gone through and checked everything but there's no typo anywhere that i can find. but in anycase, it worked, i've just never seen that before.
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; November 14, 2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I think they may build when you run the game once or I may be thinking of something else? I don't see them either.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

on the audio files? oh yeah, i checked that after i ran the game and they never appeared, i only have the events files in sounds ,but it doesn't seem to cause a problem cuz of file first i guess.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    i see no audio.dat or audio.idx files in my sound folder. did u mean music? even so, i did everything and ran it and it looks good.
    Hmm they should be there. You are using the latest patch?

another thing tho, the packs, saved games, and preferences folders dont appear in the ModBasics folder, they appear in a seperate folder called ModBasic. i've gone through and checked everything but there's no typo anywhere that i can find. but in anycase, it worked, i've just never seen that before.
    If the folder is missing the (s) then you probably have a typo someplace. Strange that it even runs.

i am not using a downloaded mod folder.
    i have set up the mod folder for vacuus lux lucis and been patching it up as the work is progressing. also i made the sweden add-on in my signature bellow. i suppose i am rather familiar with the working of these files and folders by now.
    am i good for this section of the class?
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Hmm they should be there. You are using the latest patch?
    i have kingdoms installed so its patched to 1.03

If the folder is missing the (s) then you probably have a typo someplace. Strange that it even runs.
    ok i found where it was in the .cfg file it said
    Code:
    [features]
    mod = mods/ModBasic
    so i changed that now and it should work fine.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    i am not using a downloaded mod folder.
    i have set up the mod folder for vacuus lux lucis and been patching it up as the work is progressing. also i made the sweden add-on in my signature bellow. i suppose i am rather familiar with the working of these files and folders by now.
    am i good for this section of the class?
    If you have a working mod folder then yes. But as I said above, if I need you to upload files because of a problem I wont be able to run them as I do not have your mod folder.

I don't see the audio.dat, and audio.idx files in the original sounds folder either. Other then that everything is working fine.

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Quote Originally Posted by atraps View Post
    I don't see the audio.dat, and audio.idx files in the original sounds folder either. Other then that everything is working fine.
    same here I have kingdoms installed and patched :hmmm: Those 2 files are nowhere on my HD.. not even in my other mod folders...

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

nice, i hope it's ok when i use a modfolder that I already set up for a new mod of mine.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by atraps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Suboutai View Post
    same here I have kingdoms installed and patched :hmmm: Those 2 files are nowhere on my HD.. not even in my other mod folders...
    My folders don't have these files either, but all modfolders do, so I have a feeling they might be generated or otherwise obtained. Try running the game without them and see if they are generated for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    nice, i hope it's ok when i use a modfolder that I already set up for a new mod of mine.
    That should be fine, you could do all of this from any mod folder, it is just recommended that it be done from a separate one so that there is zero likelihood of other things impacting the changes you make for the class or vice-versa.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

My folders don't have these files either, but all modfolders do, so I have a feeling they might be generated or otherwise obtained. Try running the game without them and see if they are generated for you.
    You are right!

Anyway, GED, everything works fine for me!
    Last edited by Hobbes; November 15, 2008 at 08:13 AM.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

GED, I got time now - got rid of my workload in one weekend, ie non stop working!

Anyway I have done lesson 1. I had one slight problem tho. But I sorted it out - it was due to the .bat file, I just changed the entry to get it working.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

The 2 audio files are not in my folders either, and were not generated when I ran the game. Anyway, they don't seem to affect the game in any way, so I guess I'm fine. Other than that, I succesfully created my mod folder, and here is the "proof":

Here.

And here.
    Last edited by Soulghast; November 15, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

I couldn't find those 2 files either, but I was successful in running the mod.
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Sounds files are generating by the game for me. It seems that we don't have the same game

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    You're right, they appeared after I ran the game.

So I have set up the ModBasics folder, and everything runs perfectly.
    Though there is something: my ModBasics folder is 32,7 MB in size, and you say that it should be 33,8 MB. Is this a problem?
    Last edited by burningsoul; November 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: editing
    Peace and prosperity to you noble sadiq

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Well, after 2 times of running the game from the Mod folder, my sounds folder looks like this, no audio.dat or idx files anywhere. The game runs fine without them though.

Also, the Mod Folder's size is 32,3 MB, and while I understand this definitely has something to do with the lack of the audio files on my folder, the fact that burningsoul posted that his folder's size is 32,7 MB is weird.
    Last edited by Soulghast; November 15, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast