Thread: Best Guides and Tutorials

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Default Best Guides and Tutorials

From strategy guides to Artful AARs, the Scriptorium is home to many helpful articles that are sure to inspire. Not sure how to conquer a faction? Or are you just bored of your current campaign (Happens to the best of us!)? Drop by the Scriptorium today to look for in depth analysis of almost every faction.

Don't forget, the Scriptorium is not just for reading, we want your AAR or strategy guide! PM any librarian with your work and we shall decide if it is to be included for storage in the Scriptorium.

Click here to view fascinating articles about the TW game series.
    Last edited by jimkatalanos; November 14, 2008 at 04:43 AM.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Default Re: Best Guides and Tutorials

Yes I know mine is their, Power Wizard added it a week ago. here is the link
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202505
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

two of mine are there now with another two on the way.

King_Arthur's Avatar Libertus

Nice job guys these have helped me a lot.

Lord Sherwin's Avatar Foederatus

hello to all... I am new here though I am playing M2TW for ages. Not being funny but I am not aware of patches and mod's and to be honest I really love and addicted in this game

Can somebody guide me please on updating my games M2TW? from getting patches and mod. please! please! please!

I've completed the Grand Campaign several times with just the original cd v1.0
    I want to try now using patches and mod.

GOD send somebody to help me please....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sherwin View Post
    hello to all... I am new here though I am playing M2TW for ages. Not being funny but I am not aware of patches and mod's and to be honest I really love and addicted in this game

Can somebody guide me please on updating my games M2TW? from getting patches and mod. please! please! please!

I've completed the Grand Campaign several times with just the original cd v1.0
    I want to try now using patches and mod.

GOD send somebody to help me please....

For the patches here is the Link and here is where you need to look for Mods after you have installed all of the patches.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Icon5 Re: Best Guides and Tutorials

Some questions on install issues or possible patch updates.

Purchased the MII TW Gold Edition last week and I have been totally edicted to it since. Fantastic game!!!

Anyway - I need help. I had probelms installing the Gold Edition, first disc easily installed and when asked for second disc to be put into drive, the first disc would not eject out. Tried numerous times - half a day nearly. Disc would not eject. Have to restart computer each time. Eventually after numerous tries, I put the second disc in my second drive E/ and ran. The game installed OK and I have actually just finished the first Short Campaign as England. But every time I eject the game disc the screen turns blue - error screen - only when I eject the disc.

After Victory taking Scotland & France, I opted to continue and have just started to move south into Spain & Portugal, now the Danes are on the march and look very strong (full flags evrywhere) and as usual the Pope has asked for no transgressions.

Q 1. Does the Gold Edition require any update patches?
    Q 2. Does the continuation of this campaign lead to the longer campaign (45) territories? or am I wasting my time and just start the actual long campaign
    Q 4. How do I get better Merchants finance or experience, nearly all of mine are being robbed or acquired by others? apart from placing them in a fort but on other territories.

Any help appreciated! :hmmm:
    Last edited by AlzerKhan; January 26, 2009 at 07:05 AM.

1. Gold edition can upgrade to the latest kingdoms patch I believe. Either 1.4 or 1.5 I am not sure.
    2. Once you have won the short campaign you can either quit or continue, if you continue the only way to end the game is to quit before the end or conquer every province. My advice is to just start a long campaign if you want to conquer the 45 territories.
    3. Build lots of merchants and trade buildings to be offered the merchants guild, producing merchants in a city with this guild yields better trained merchants fresh from merchant school. Other ways to increase finance are to acquire a lower merchants assests, stand your merchant on a resource for a period of time and they will automatically get better finance, also group up your merchants in an area to control all the resources there and gain 'monopoly' trait, which increases finance.

Hope I helped.

Fire-dweller's Avatar Civis

Could anyone create guild guides for the Crusades, Teutonic, and Britannia campaigns?
    Nothing is an absolute reality, everything is permitted. La shay' haqiqah, koulo shay' moumkin.

I have a newbie question. I recently bought the vanilla MTW II, without the "Kingdoms" expansion. I wasn't interested in the new scenarios. I have updated through the 3 first patches. I see that Kingoms incorporates patches 4 and 5. My question is, even if I don't want to play the Kingdoms, should I buy it because it fixes further errors in the original game??

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Help with M2TW custom battles

In m2tw custom battles when you create 5 or 6 of one unit (usually the late game units) the unit card is shown in red and when I mouse over the unit card it says something like 'too many of this unit'. Can someone please please why custom battle do this?
    Last edited by ✠Ikaroqx✠; December 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Refrasing question

Default Re: Help with M2TW custom battles

Quote Originally Posted by IX Varangian Cohort View Post
    In m2tw custom battles when you create 5 or 6 of one unit (usually the late game units) the unit card is shown in red and when I mouse over the unit card it says something like 'too many of this unit'. Can someone please please why custom battle do this?
    I expect that this is because the custom battle armies conform to the "army list" concept of miniatures wargaming - the army is supposed to represent a typical army from that nation so, for instance, an English army probably has a lower number of knight units allowed than a French army. You might try also increasing the amount of money you can spend on the custom army (I think that is on the first screen of the custom battle setup - the default is 10,000 although you can increase it vastly you should find 13,000 is enough unless you want to upgrade every unit with experience or have an army of only the most expensive types etc

Every unit is limited to 4 units max in custom battles before the cost increases.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

That is to avoid fielding an army from 1 overpowered unit. For example 20 units of mongol infantry.

I have posted version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements and Sieges Guide http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...5&d=1346411810

43 Pages of information about settlements and how to besiege or defend them, plus tips on using artillery and fighting field battles. It is fully illustrated and includes maps of every type of settlement/fortress, indicating where to attack and the best route to the plaza. It tells you what artillery to use, how many gates each type of settlement has, and includes lots of tips on attacking and defending both single and multi-walled settlements.

I'm thinking of doing a Hungary guide I just need to get to the very end a couple of times

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by lgoodin101 View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a Hungary guide I just need to get to the very end a couple of times
    Hungary is not hard, they have magyar cavalry, which will rule the battlefield for 50-60 turns if you can handle them well enough.
    Also, Bran is the second best castle in the game (after Palermo), and the best in the region: you will have dismounted feudal knights earlier then anyone.