Thread: Map modding

Mor's Avatar Laetus

Default Map modding

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this, but i only found RTW and M2TW modding subforums.

How can i edit the campaign map? Can i save the map file as a .bmp and then edit it in paintshop? Will it work if i do it this way?

Also, can i create land provinces out of sea provinces?
    Only modding i've done before was changing province owners. If i make land prov. out of sea prov. what files do i have to edit?

Thanks.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Map modding

Quote Originally Posted by Mor View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this, but i only found RTW and M2TW modding subforums.

How can i edit the campaign map? Can i save the map file as a .bmp and then edit it in paintshop? Will it work if i do it this way?

Also, can i create land provinces out of sea provinces?
    Only modding i've done before was changing province owners. If i make land prov. out of sea prov. what files do i have to edit?

Thanks.

Hi there Mor,

As for the pure GFX side of it, as long as you have a functional 24bit tga-file (with the right proportions) when you finally want to use it in the game it should not matter what ever program you have used prior to that point. And yes technically you could save the MTW-strat map texture to bmp-format if you want to. Personally I would suggest that you use Photoshop for this instead, it is easier and you can directly open and save in 24bit tga-format.

Technically yes, you can create additional land areas out of sea areas (there is a maximum to the total areas allowed in the game, I dont remember what it is, but it should be roughly about a 100 areas). Finally, I am no expert on these matters but there are guides on this subject available over at the Org. Perhaps you should go there and have a look. All this are of course in the MTW-section of that place. Hopefully some of this will help you with your plans....

- Cheers

Mor's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    As for the pure GFX side of it, as long as you have a functional 24bit tga-file (with the right proportions) when you finally want to use it in the game it should not matter what ever program you have used prior to that point. And yes technically you could save the MTW-strat map texture to bmp-format if you want to. Personally I would suggest that you use Photoshop for this instead, it is easier and you can directly open and save in 24bit tga-format.
    tga? hmm...I thought the map file that i have to edit is that lukupmap.iff (or something similar) file.
    I planned to save it as bmp, edit it, and then save it as iff again.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Technically yes, you can create additional land areas out of sea areas (there is a maximum to the total areas allowed in the game, I dont remember what it is, but it should be roughly about a 100 areas). Finally, I am no expert on these matters but there are guides on this subject available over at the Org. Perhaps you should go there and have a look. All this are of course in the MTW-section of that place. Hopefully some of this will help you with your plans....
    I know there's a limit, and that it's reached (in the XL mod). That's why i plan to create land out of sea provs.
    XL added some but i'm still not satisfied. And some sea provs (areas) like the Malta channel are a real annoyance (i always find myself short of one single ship when i'm playing with the Sicilians and want to invade something immeadiately).

Org? twcenter.org?
    How about a link?

Thanks

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi again Mor,

It seems that I misunderstood you somewhat; I thought you meant the map texture but apparently you didn’t. You have to change the map texture eventually anyhow if you plan to make changes to the map. When that becomes relevant, all the stuff I stated earlier on tga’s will become valid for you at that point.

Anyway, the Org is a separate place that has little to do with the TWC. Here is a link for you (and it goes straight to the MTW-section):

-----------------------------------------------------------
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=83
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Over there you’ll find the guides and info you seek, I believe it's all found in
    the "Repository" (not sure thou) but it's probably the best place to start.
    Good luck.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; November 24, 2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: an urge....