Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Research Results: Characters, Buildings, etc.

Default Research Results: Characters, Buildings, etc.

I'll post the results of my research here as I work on it.

This first post will be for characters and family trees, so I will update it periodically.

Historical Characters, c. A.D. 865

WESSEX:

King Æthelberht (d. 865): Should have chivalrous traits, since he was a noble, fair-minded king. Should also have the trait “Wessex Family Ailment” to cause his early death (age 30). Has a wife (her name has not survived) and two underage sons – Aldhelm and Æthelward. Succeeded by younger brother Æthelred.

Ætheling (Prince) Æthelred (r. 865-871): Should have some command traits (such as “Good Infantry Commander”), was a military king. Married to Wulfrida, also has two underage sons – Æthelwald and Æthelhelm. Killed in battle, succeeded by younger brother Ælfred (the Great).

Ætheling Ælfred (r. 871-899): Has superb traits all around, including any or all of the following: intellectual, educated, literate, wise, legal reformer, several command bonuses, pious/religious. Married to Ealhswith (in 868). The historic "Alfred the Great," he should definitely be the all-around best leader in the mod.

Deceased Members (for Family Tree purposes):

King Æthelwulf (d. 858): Should be the already deceased patriarch of the family. Æthelwulf was the son and heir of King Ecgberht, the legendary re-founder of the Wessex dynasty of the House of Cerdic. Had pious traits. Was married to Osburga (who might still be alive in 865). Had five sons (Æthelstan, Æthelbald, Æthelberht, Æthelred, and Ælfred) and a daughter (Æthelswith).

Ætheling Æthelstan (d. before 858): Oldest son of Æthelwulf, predeceased his father and brothers.

King Æthelbald (d. 860): Traits include dishonest, rebellious, dubious, headstrong, arbitrary, popular. Married the Frankish princess Judith (who was also his father’s second widow, Æthelwulf having married her while his first wife still lived). Marriage annulled on grounds of consanguinity. He should also have "Wessex Family Ailment" as the cause of his early death (age 35).

MERCIA:

King Burgred: Married to Princess Æthelswith of Wessex. Does not appear to be directly related to his predecessors on the Mercian throne. Should have poor military traits, but good financial traits. May have deposed his predecessor Beorhtwulf, after the latter was defeated by the Vikings. He was later defeated by Vikings and exiled to Rome with his queen, whereupon the Danes set up the Ealdorman Ceolwulf as a puppet king.

Queen Æthelswith: The daughter of King Æthelwulf of Wessex, the fair Princess Æthelswith married King Burgred of Mercia for the purpose of securing friendship between Wessex and Burgred's new Mercian dynasty (shortlived though it was).

NORTHUMBRIA:

King Ælla: Traits include: cruel, tyrant, torturer, usurper, murderer. Became King of Northumbria after his brother Osberht was deposed by the people. According to legend, his murder of Danish warlord Ragnar Loðbrók instigated the invasion of the "Great Danish Army," which was led by Ragnar's sons, who ravaged and conquered Northumbria and tortured Ælla to death.

Osberht: Ælla's deposed brother. He was a known murderer and rapist. Apparently he stayed in Northumbria and still had supporters during his brother's reign. He may have been Ælla's rival, but they were forced to join forced against the Danes, who ultimately killed both of them. Traits include rebellious, disloyal, brutal, unpopular. The father of Ælla and Osberht is unknown, so for purposes of the family tree, they can be displayed as sons of the previous king, Æthelred of Northumbria.

EAST ANGLIA:

King Eadmund (d. 869): Traits include pious, honest, just, kind, resistant to flattery. Son of Alcmund, adopted by King Æthelweard of East Anglia, who made him his heir. Defeated in battle by the Danes Ivar the Boneless, Halfdan and Ubba. According to legend, Ivar demanded Eadmund renounce Christianity, which the pious Eadmund absolutely refused to do. He was then martyred by the vicious Vikings, though multiple stories about the manner of his death have survived. He is posthumously known as St. Eadmund the Martyr.

DENMARK:

(Note: the accounts of 9th century legendary Danish kingship are confusing and contradictory.)

King Ragnar Loðbrók (d. c. 865): Semi-legendary Viking raider-king. Traits could include things like "larger-than-life" to represent his over-the-top reputation. Should have military and raiding bonuses, as well as lots and lots of dread, and probably prolific/fertile. Had at least two wives who were legendary in their own right as Viking shieldmaidens: Lathgertha and Kraka/Aslaug. Also had a whole slew of famous sons, some of whom may have been adopted. His nickname Loðbrók means "Hairy Breeches." According to legend, he was murdered by Ælla of Northumbria by being thrown into a pit of snakes/wolves/dangerous beasts.

Sigurd Snake-Eye:
    Ragnar's heir. Ultimately marries Blaeja/Heluna, daughter of Ælla of Northumbria. His Viking nickname presumably referred to the fact that when he was born, there was an image of a serpent/dragon biting its own tail, encircling the pupil of his left eye, likely some kind of defect in his iris.

Ivar the Boneless: Another son of Ragnar. Traits include berserker, crippled (his nickname "Boneless" probably referred to a lame leg), physically strong, killer instinct, intelligent. Subjected Ælla of Northumbria to the "blood eagle" a very long, torturous Viking death. Also slew King Eadmund of East Anglia, though accounts differ as to whether it was by blood eagle, beheading, or by arrows.

Halfdan Ragnarsson: Invaded Northumbria with Ivar and Ubba. Became the first King of Jórvík (Norse-occupied York). Probably the same as Hvitsärk, as sources mention either one or the other. Moreover, Hvitsärk is yet another Viking nickname, meaning "White Shirt."

Ubba Ragnarsson:
    Invaded Northumbria with his brothers Ivar and Halfdan with the "Great Danish Army."

Björn Ironside: Another son of Ragnar. Invaded Friesland and East Francia on multiple occasions with his brother Hastein, in addition to supporting his brothers' invasion of Britain. According to legend, he took over kingship of Sweden later in life. Potentially an adopted son.

Hastein Ragnarsson: With his brother Björn, he ravaged the European mainland as well as Britain. Described as "cruel, harsh, destructive, troublesome, wild, ferocious, lustful, lawless, death-dealing, arrogant, ungodly and much else besides." Along with Björn, Hastein was possibly adopted by Ragnar.

HORDALAND:

King Eirik:
    Reigned over the petty kingdom of Hordaland in the late 9th Century. Harald, King of Vestfold, sought to marry Eirik's daughter Gyda, who scornfully refused to marry him until he was "King Over All Norway." In response, Harald launched a campaign to conquer all the other petty kingdoms, ultimately killing Eirik and defeating his allies at the Battle of Hafrsfjord.

Princess Gyda: The daughter of King Eirik, who spurned young Harald of Vestfold. After Harald's many victories, she married him and gave birth to several of his children.

VESTFOLD:

King Harald Fairhair: Recently succeeded to the throne of Vestfold. Traits include pragmatic, fertile, lustful, ruthless, brilliant warrior. As mentioned above, in c. A.D. 862, King Harald sought to marry sought to marry Gyda, daughter of Eirik of Hordaland, who refused until he was King of all Norway. The ambitious Harald then proceeded to conquer or subdue all the other petty kingdoms, killed Eirik at Hafrsfjord and married Gyda. According to legend, Harald vowed not to cut or comb his hair until he was King of all Norway, and soon became known as Harald Tanglehair. Upon uniting Norway and becoming its King in 872, Harald finally tidied up his hair, and became known as Harald Fairhair ever after. He had at least seven wives/concubines, as was the custom in pagan Scandinavia, and had around 25 children.

Erik Bloodaxe: King Harald's favorite and most notorious son. He was Harald's successor as King of Norway until exiled by his brother Hákon, whereupon he went to England and eventually became King of Jórvik. He was killed in battle with the Saxons in 952. Since he died in 952, he most probably was not yet born in 865.

ALBA:

King Causantín mac Cináeda: The elder son of Kenneth MacAlpin, who according to legend conquered the Picts and was the first King of Scots. Causantín (or Constantine) succeeded in 862, at the death of his uncle King Domnall MacAlpin. His reign was marked by vastly increased Viking activity (namely the Great Danish Army) and King Causantín died fighting them in 877.

Prince Áed mac Cináeda: The younger brother of King Causantín, and his eventual successor. His nickname was White Flowers or Whitefoot. After reigning just one year, he was killed by the usurper Giric mac Dúngail.

Prince Domnall mac Causantín:
    The son of King Causantín, Domnall (Donald) became king in 889 when the usurper Giric was himself overthrown and killed. One source gives him the nickname "the Madman." In 900, Domnall was killed in battle with the Vikings, possibly at the hands of Harald Fairhair, King of Norway.

Deceased Members (for Family Tree purposes):

King Kenneth MacAlpin (d. 858): The great conqueror/unifier of the Picts and the Dál Riata Scots, and the legendary founder of the Kingdom of Alba. His nickname is "An Ferbasach," which translates "the Conqueror." Traits include legendary, conquering hero, and famous victor. He was succeeded by his brother Domnall, who died a few years later. Kenneth had at least two sons, Causantín and Áed mac Cináeda.

GWYNEDD:

King Rhodri Mawr (r. 844-878): His nickname "Mawr" means "the Great." He inherited Gwynedd in 844 on his father Merfyn Frych's death. In 855, he also inherited Powys when his uncle Cyngen ap Cadell died. When Gwygon, ruler of Seisyllwg drowned in 872, Rhodri gained his lands also by virtue of his marriage to Gwygon's sister, Angharad. As ruler of most of Wales, Rhodri faced increased pressure from both the Saxons and the Danes. One of his traits could be "Good Defender." He was killed in 878, possibly in battle with the Saxons, and his lands were divided between his surviving sons.

Queen Angharad: Sister of Gwygon of Seisyllwg and wife of Rhodri Mawr.

Prince Anarawd ap Rhodri (d. 916): Presumably eldest son of Rhodri, he inherited Gwynedd at his father's death. He was a great warrior; allied with his brother-kings, he achieved vengeance for his father in battle against the Saxons at the River Conwy in 881. Unable to form an alliance with the troublesome Danes, Anarawd recognized the supremacy of Alfred the Great in exchange for an anti-Danish alliance. Anarawd was a great military leader.

Prince Cadell ap Rhodri
    (d. 909): Another son of Rhodri, he inherited Seisyllwg at his father's death. He and his own son, Hywel Dda, conquered the region of Dyfed in 905. Hywel merged the two realms after Cadell's death to form the Kingdom of Deheubarth. Cadell should be a good administrator.

Prince Merfyn ap Rhodri
    (d. 900): A third son of Rhodri Mawr, he inherited Powys when Rhodri died.

Prince Gwriad ap Rhodri
    (d. 878): Yet another son of Rhodri, he was killed alongside his father in battle with the Saxons in 878.

CONNACHT:

King Conchobar mac Taidg Mór
    (d. 882): Conchobar was the grandson of a previous king of Connacht. His father Taidg Mórhad died in the infighting between minor tribes in Connacht. For a generation, the rulership of Connacht had rested in the hands of other families, but in about 855, Conchobar restored his grandfather's hereditary kingship. Conchobar was a loyal supporter of Ireland's High King, Máel Sechnaill mac Máele Ruanaid, from the southern Uí Néill dynasty, and fought by his side against the northern Uí Néill. Conchobar also fought off a large-scale Viking invasion in 868, and gained a reputation for great valour. He is especially remakable among his contemporaries in that he died of old age.

Queen Ailbe: Ailbe was the daughter of the High King, Máel Sechnaill mac Máele Ruanaid. Conchobar's marriage to her secured his allegiance to the High King of Ireland. She bore him at least three sons, all of whom became Kings of Connacht in their own right.

Prince Áed mac Conchobair (d. 888): Áed's reign was full of conflict with the invading Vikings. He led a slaughter of the Vikings in 887, but was himself slain in battle with the Vikings the next year.

Prince Tadg mac Conchobair (d. 900): Tadg succeeded his brother Áed, was subject to the High King and fought Vikings throughout his reign. He died after a prolonged illness in 900.

Prince Cathal mac Conchobair (d. 925): Cathal also swore fealty to the High King, and fought alongside him against the Kingdom of Munster and shared in several victories. However, subsequent High Kings did not look favorably on Connacht and invaded on multiple occasions during Cathal's reign. Ultimately connacht was subdued and Cathal was brough back into the fold as a penitent.

Prince Máel Cluiche mac Conchobair (d. 913): Another son of Conchobar, he was slain in 913 during a battle between his brother Cathal's forces and the High King.

MUNSTER:

King Cenn Fáelad hua Mugthigirn (d. 872): King Cenn Fáelad was crowned in 861, restoring the monarchy of Munster after a two-year interregnum. In 859, the previous king had been stoned to death by ravaging Vikings, so Cenn Fáelad's resotration reflects the desire of the people of Munster for strong leadership in dangerous times. Cenn Fáelad was also the Abbot of Emly, an important monastery officially patronized by the Kings of Munster. He should thus get a pious trait to refelct that. His uncle and grandfather were also abbots, so it seems to be a hereditary matter. Cenn Fáelad's reign was plagues with attacks by Vikings and other Irish factions.

Prince Eógan mac Cinn Fáelad (d. 890): Did not succeed his father as King of Munster, but as Abbot of Emly. The throne of Munster was taken instead by a man named Dúnchad mac Duib-dá-Bairenn.

THE NORMANS:

Chieftain Sigfred: Sigfred was a Norse warlord who rampaged across northern West Francia, in the late 800s.

Hrólf (c. 846-932): Hrólf, known more popularly as Rollo, was according to legend the son of a Viking nobleman (possibly named Rognvald Eysteinsson) who became an enemy of the King (either Harald Fairhair or possibly Ragnar Loðbrók, history is uncertain). When Rollo's father died, Rollo was banished and his brother Gurim was killed. Also according to legend, Rollo became known as Hrólf the Ganger, meaning the Walker or Wanderer. At some point Hrólf allied himself with the raider-warlord Sigfred, and helped lead the Viking Siege of Paris in 885-6. He was a key leader in the Norse settlement of the area which would become known as Normandy, and soon became chief of the early Normans.

In 911, following a defeat at the Battle of Chartres at the hands of the West Franks, King Charles the Simple offered Rollo a bargain. Rollo's followers could keep all the northern lands that they had occupied, in return for an oath of fealty to the King and to defend West Francia from other Vikings. According to legend, when required to kiss the foot of King Charles as a condition of the treaty, Rollo refused to perform so great a humiliation. When Charles extended his foot to Rollo, Rollo ordered one of his warriors to do so in his place. His warrior then lifted Charles' foot up to his mouth causing him to fall to the ground. Thus Rollo became the first Duke of Normandy, and established his capital at Rouen.

Poppa de Bayeux: Rollo's Frankish wife.

William Longsword
    (c. 893-942): Rollo's firstborn son and heir. Being half-Frankish and a Christian, he swiftly led the Normans into cultural integration with the Franks.

Still to come: EAST FRANCIA, and ???...
    Last edited by AlexanderPrimus; November 21, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Research Results: Characters, Buildings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderPrimus View Post
    I'll post the results of my research here as I work on it.

This first post will be for characters and family trees, so I will update it periodically.

Historical Characters, c. A.D. 865

WESSEX:

King Æthelberht

I couldnt help but notice the King had the letter Æ in his name. Was this name from Scandinavia? Cause the English doesnt use this letter. ( I think)
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen
    I couldn't help but notice the King had the letter Æ in his name. Was this name from Scandinavia? Cause the English doesn't use this letter. ( I think)
    Anglo-Saxon English does.

Cool...

Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE

AlexanderPrimus, excellent work on the research! I'm sure Danova really appreciates having someone with your credentials and talents on board for research. I'm a PoliSci/ Law major, but I'm taking a fair mix of Western history courses, but nothing from this time period exactly even though I find it fasinating as well...so many courses, so little time.

I remeber at my parent's place when I was a kid, we had a book called "Chronicles of the British Royal Family". This book was maybe at least a 1000 pages and weighed a solid 20 pounds and had pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about the Royal Family. Obviously you know Britian's nobles are linked extremely closely with the various other European royal dynasties, and so this book also had tons of good information about Denmark, Germany, France, etc. I'd definitely recommend it as a resource. When I'm down for Christmas, I'm for sure going to dust it off and take it back up with me!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse." - J.S. Mill

Very nice work, keep it up!

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

AlexanderPrimus!
    It is very good thank you. I’m glad to have your historical knowledge now.

I sent PM!

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    AlexanderPrimus!
    It is very good thank you. I’m glad to have your historical knowledge now.

I sent PM!
    Thanks! It's my pleasure.

Update: I've added the Kings of Vestfold and Alba to my research in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northern Marches View Post
    AlexanderPrimus, excellent work on the research! I'm sure Danova really appreciates having someone with your credentials and talents on board for research. I'm a PoliSci/ Law major, but I'm taking a fair mix of Western history courses, but nothing from this time period exactly even though I find it fasinating as well...so many courses, so little time.

I remeber at my parent's place when I was a kid, we had a book called "Chronicles of the British Royal Family". This book was maybe at least a 1000 pages and weighed a solid 20 pounds and had pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about the Royal Family. Obviously you know Britian's nobles are linked extremely closely with the various other European royal dynasties, and so this book also had tons of good information about Denmark, Germany, France, etc. I'd definitely recommend it as a resource. When I'm down for Christmas, I'm for sure going to dust it off and take it back up with me!
    Ah, it's always good to meet a kindred spirit!

Your book sounds interesting. I've practically got a library of books on the subject, but I've never encountered that one before. I'm always interested in new sources.

great work . it looks good to me .

------------click on the picture to go to the WotD-forum---------------

....german-speaking blog about critical thinking (click on the sig)....

Subjected Ælla of Northumbria to the "blood eagle" a very long, torturous Viking death.
    This peaked my curiosity. What exactly is the "blood eagle". Whatever it is, I'm sure it was gruesome and painful in true Viking style!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse." - J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by The Northern Marches View Post
    This peaked my curiosity. What exactly is the "blood eagle". Whatever it is, I'm sure it was gruesome and painful in true Viking style!
    When all else fails, there's always wikipedia! But trust me, you really don't want to know... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle

Well...that's definitely not the way I'd want to go.

That sounded awfull! Ahhh! That did not sound nice... No, not nice at all...

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    That sounded awfull! Ahhh! That did not sound nice... No, not nice at all...
    Yes, definitely not a nice thing to read shortly after waking up. Suddenly lost my appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Yes, definitely not a nice thing to read shortly after waking up. Suddenly lost my appetite.
    Same thing just happened to me.

"I have only two regrets: I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun."- Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Just ate a muffin...Didnt loose my appetite.

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Ouch...

But I digress. How can you mantain the victim concious, and preventing the shock long enough in order to have time to spray some salt on his lungs?

If someone cut my ribs, my body would cut transmissions and go offline pretty fast...

That must be one of the only times it must be nice to go offline...

Pretty gruesome stuff, I was trying to think of a way to use this in a mod, but I haven't come up with anything except maybe a trait that labels a character as someone who has used it on someone or someone who prefers it as a means of torture over something else?

You have to give it to the Vikings though, pretty creative way maim

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast