Thread: Fallout 3 - sneaking?

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Fallout 3 - sneaking?

As the title says. I seem to be unable to use this (properly).
    So, i make a character with high sneak skill. Then i go search some loot and fight some goons. However, all enemies magically spot me from 100 meters away with their eagle eyes. I use a light weapon (pistol) and light armor (leather), not much baggage (around 50-70). The only way i can get a sneak attack on someone is when i strip naked and hide behind a corner waiting for someone to walk past. But i could also do this with my old character who had no points in sneak.

So what am i missing? Or do i just need 100 points in sneak to get a drop on some mole rat in the dark? :hmmm:
    My pony jumps ever so high

Default Re: Fallout 3 - sneaking?

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    As the title says. I seem to be unable to use this (properly).
    So, i make a character with high sneak skill. Then i go search some loot and fight some goons. However, all enemies magically spot me from 100 meters away with their eagle eyes. I use a light weapon (pistol) and light armor (leather), not much baggage (around 50-70). The only way i can get a sneak attack on someone is when i strip naked and hide behind a corner waiting for someone to walk past. But i could also do this with my old character who had no points in sneak.

So what am i missing? Or do i just need 100 points in sneak to get a drop on some mole rat in the dark? :hmmm:
    I believe that NPC's perception level also counts against your stealth( maybe to much though). Also weapon sun glare, if you are on open terrain , crouch running , day, night etc..

Looking from Oblivion perspective, i think stealth points are only giving you increased % chance on not being detected,in addition to AGI and LUCK attributes.

Only Stealthboy gives you 100% invisibility.

I was able to sneak inside the places ,without having maxed out sneak points.

99% chance that you just need the perk "silent running"
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Ducenarius

Sneaking is affected by number of factors such as weight you carry, light (you must be in shadows), agility, whether your pipboy light is turned on, whether you run or walk, facing of the enemy (you must approach them from back) etc. Stealthboy adds +100 sneaking skill and + 75 invisibility cloak (?). I never had too much trouble with sneaking (with skill bigger than 50) and it is really cool skill since first hit is always critical. Most enemies are killed with single hit from the back (shishkebab).

Quote Originally Posted by zligor View Post
    Sneaking is affected by number of factors such as weight you carry, light (you must be in shadows), agility, whether your pipboy light is turned on, whether you run or walk, facing of the enemy (you must approach them from back) etc. Stealthboy adds +100 sneaking skill and + 75 invisibility cloak (?). I never had too much trouble with sneaking (with skill bigger than 50) and it is really cool skill since first hit is always critical. Most enemies are killed with single hit from the back (shishkebab).
    how DO you turn your pipboy off anyways? i could never figure out how. PC btw
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

how DO you turn your pipboy off anyways? i could never figure out how. PC btw
    HOLD tab.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    HOLD tab.
    so turning it off is the same as not having it active? that's weeeeiiiiirrrd
    they should've made that more clear
    anywho, i use sneak mainly for sneak attack criticals, not getting by people (i play as a gunslinger pretty much)
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

You don't turn out the PipBoy as such, only it's light! (And that has to be switched on beforehand, of course. )
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by mlp071 View Post
    Only Stealthboy gives you 100% invisibility.
    Nope. Was detected by a Super Mutant before the Museum of History with it activated. Very strange. Also once by a Mirelurk, but that one stood just before me. :hmmm:

When I select the Stealth boy and look at it's effects it says something like "+100 sneak and 75% stealth field."

I assume this is the equivalent of 75% invisibility in the Oblivion system, so I would think you're just really hard to see, but not completely invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm317 View Post
    but not completely invisible.
    Absolutely not, otherwise I couldn't have seen the scientist in that one Vault who used one.

Still, the Super Mutant sight was strange, there were quite some metres between us, and it's not like they had the greatest perception.

Quote Originally Posted by zligor View Post
    Oh well. Doesn't really seem worth the effort, a skill slot, not carrying loot, only going out at night, crappy/no armor, waiting around for enemies, etc. I think i'll just shoot them 2 more times and be done with it

Seriously though, stealth in this type of games rarely makes any sense, IMO it requires a specialized game to do properly :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    Seriously though, stealth in this type of games rarely makes any sense, IMO it requires a specialized game to do properly :hmmm:
    It's really good for scattering mines near enemies though. Afterwards you just make noise and get some cheap kills. You'll find enough mines anyway, I've got about 40 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmotes View Post
    It's really good for scattering mines near enemies though. Afterwards you just make noise and get some cheap kills. You'll find enough mines anyway, I've got about 40 now.
    Well you can just put down mines in a safe area and then lure the enemies there, without sneak skill. Or, for mirelurks and other melee lovers, i just throw the mines at them while they're charging at me

Sneak isnt worth it unless your playing for the heck of it. Its just one of those skills thats hellishly overpowered once you hit level 20, But before that its all meh.

Stealth works so long as you really devote your character to it. It isn't so touchy as some people have said, you just have to make sure you have at least 7 perception and know how to not run while sneaking until you get that perk, and then you are a post-apocolyptic Sam Fisher afterwords. Not mentioning the other perks that make it very powerful.

Or yes, you could run around like Master Chief with a chinaman's assault rifle, queing up a bunch of head shots on normal difficulty with enclave power armour, and 1 charisma.

You can be gamey, make it easy, but then you'd just be ignoring the whole 'roleplaying' aspect of the game.
    Last edited by Kennylz; November 14, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Ducenarius

Sneak is single most useful skill. I love to sneak around enemy lay mines than attack `em with dart gun and keep shooting them with something more powerful while they walk slowly towards me... over the mines. Or sneak and hit mutant with same dart gun (best gun), then hide and wait for poison to do its work.

I managed to take out the entire Evergreen Mills by sniper and stealth and my character only got 35 in Sneak

Shot the behemoth cage open? Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennylz View Post
    Shot the behemoth cage open? Heh.
    It took a whole lot of running for that one.