Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: HundredYearsWar 0.99 - General Discussion

Default Re: HundredYearsWar 0.7 - open Beta

Quote Originally Posted by on a mountain View Post
    We may introduce stone forts in a future issue.

As I was working on about 2 dozen identified map micro-bugs and balance issues I took the suggestions of some of you to heart and gave the British Isles a complete workover, enhancing the overall topography in order to make it look hillier, and pouring over historic maps to introduce the large forest areas which were missing in the first issue.

The reason for this is that I worked mostly from satellite data, and unfortunately nowadays Britain has got almost none of the vast forests left that once dominated the landscape. Who hasn't heard of Sherwood Forest, or even the Wychwood forest of fairytales..., and who actually HAS heard of the Lincoln and Yorkshire Forests that once covered large areas?

Here is a couple of goodies:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have also increased the total number of regions by seven to a total of 121.

Meanwhile stig and vas have been very busy creating new factions and an astonishing number of mercenary units...
    wonderful btw why not use burek skins?

btw why not use burek skins?
    We make everything ourselves
    I personally hate most mods that are nothing different than 20 small mods put together, in a bad way. Things that don't look alike, things that look .
    Now we might not be able to make models ourselves, but that atleast means everything looks good. Or atleast, we think so.

I'm a strange creature really, I hate most RTW mods for the simple fact that all units are brown, I love faction colours, the brighter the better.

Heh, I actually critized OAM for his use of native languages, if I could mod some things I'd just put everything in in English.

Nice mod guys may I suggest in a future release including one of the irish kingdoms?

Heh, Ireland is not really a main priority, afterall, it's hardly on the map
    Next release will get Flanders (skins more or less done, coding is easy as we're using Scotland (same amount of letters makes it easier to mod) and for some units we only need to change the names) and mostlikely Wales
    After that we might see Brittany and Navarre, but it will take a long time before we get there

Quote Originally Posted by theStig View Post
    We make everything ourselves
    I personally hate most mods that are nothing different than 20 small mods put together, in a bad way. Things that don't look alike, things that look .
    Now we might not be able to make models ourselves, but that atleast means everything looks good. Or atleast, we think so.

I'm a strange creature really, I hate most RTW mods for the simple fact that all units are brown, I love faction colours, the brighter the better.

Heh, I actually critized OAM for his use of native languages, if I could mod some things I'd just put everything in in English.
    btw all units in the mod are reskinned?

Most have small changes yes

Testing has been slow, due to real life work and the work I've been doing on a mod of my own for RTW (where the units aren't all brown).

You said something about looking into removing the other factions from custom game setup. I haven't unpacked the M2TW files, but for RTW you do that in data\descr_sm_factions.txt - it's trivial, just changing a 'yes' value to a 'no' one for all the factions you want left out. It may be the same in M2TW, or at least similar.

I've played some more, and I'm currently only two provinces away from a Burgundian short victory. Some observations:

I had two citadels and several large cities by the first 50 turns. With the current building times and population growth rates, most construction should peak at around that time, with not much left to do later. I'll make a more clear assessment once I've finished the game, this is just a heads up in case you're thinking of tinkering with these parameters.

Spain took Provence, but was kicked out by a rebel uprising, and the English had some success against the French, expanding from their initial holdings in south-west France towards the center of the country. Once again, I'll have a clearer assessment of AI behaviour and balance once I finish my game.

It would be nice to have (at some point) faction overview maps in the faction tab. For Burgundy it shows the standard M2TW map with Milan and the Byzantines as targets.

A very knit-picky point, but the army/city/agents buttons do not behave uniformly. The city and agents ones light up when selected, while the army one not only lights up, but its surrounding becomes a little darker and appears to be "pushed in".

Beautiful mod! I can't wait to try Flanders!

the next version include flanders , and castilla-leon?
    and navarra?

You said something about looking into removing the other factions from custom game setup. I haven't unpacked the M2TW files, but for RTW you do that in data\descr_sm_factions.txt - it's trivial, just changing a 'yes' value to a 'no' one for all the factions you want left out. It may be the same in M2TW, or at least similar.
    Thanks
    I had two citadels and several large cities by the first 50 turns. With the current building times and population growth rates, most construction should peak at around that time, with not much left to do later. I'll make a more clear assessment once I've finished the game, this is just a heads up in case you're thinking of tinkering with these parameters.
    We are already doing so
    I myself propose a pop growth of 1%, not 4% as most settlements have now.
    Spain took Provence, but was kicked out by a rebel uprising, and the English had some success against the French, expanding from their initial holdings in south-west France towards the center of the country. Once again, I'll have a clearer assessment of AI behaviour and balance once I finish my game.
    OAM more or less unscripted the AI. And it's dangerous now, even without the mercenaries.
    This is about 90 turns (only 45 of the 100 years), Vas played as Savoy, but did not really do anything, he was a spectator

It would be nice to have (at some point) faction overview maps in the faction tab. For Burgundy it shows the standard M2TW map with Milan and the Byzantines as targets.
    Strange, I believe Vas actually made those
    A very knit-picky point, but the army/city/agents buttons do not behave uniformly. The city and agents ones light up when selected, while the army one not only lights up, but its surrounding becomes a little darker and appears to be "pushed in".
    Something for Vas to fix

As for Flanders:
    Angomen (actually just Billmen, with changed stats)

Flemish Heavy Pikemen

Flemish Light Pikemen

the next version include flanders , and castilla-leon?
    and navarra?
    Flanders will be in it, and possibly Wales
    After that there will be Britanny and Navarra

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post

Yes we are aware of this as Stig said. We will definitely change some factors such as the population growth.

Hm... I'm pretty sure I had them changed. Anyway, they are meant to change till next release. So no worries. Thanx for the point-out!

This is something we know from the very first days of development of the mod. Since it is something small, we maybe let it be as it is. But there is a possibility I will change it. In fact, I like the fact that the buttons give an impression of "hand-made" ui panel. Dunno, we'll see

Beautiful mod! I can't wait to try Flanders!
    If we continue to work at the rate we do now, you will be able to play with Flanders and enjoy several other fixes/changes sooner than you hope

Cheers for the feedback!
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

Albath's Avatar Civis

Even though this is a very capable and extremely impressive mod I'll wait until the next version to download. It seems that the next version with Flanders and all that other goodies will be released soon and I will report first thing when I fire up my game.
    Unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem! - Proof that I can count from 1-10 in Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Albath View Post
    Even though this is a very capable and extremely impressive mod I'll wait until the next version to download. It seems that the next version with Flanders and all that other goodies will be released soon and I will report first thing when I fire up my game.
    Soon is about a month from now mate ... I personally am busy enough with reallife to not be able to do much stuff

Albath's Avatar Civis

Oh well, it will be a great Christmas present.
    Unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem! - Proof that I can count from 1-10 in Latin.

great job keep up the great work

Quote Originally Posted by Albath View Post
    Oh well, it will be a great Christmas present.
    Yeah, that's the way to see it

Maybe it makes sense to limit the number of spies and assassins? As with merchants and priests.
    Also possibly be spies and assassins slightly increase their price and content ...
    Last edited by Russian NORMAN; November 23, 2008 at 02:28 AM.

yes, we are definitely trying to lower the amount of secondary characters. They clogg up the map, and drain too much income from the AI.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

nevermind works fine ^-^

3 questions
    1)mercenaries are coming in the actual release aren't they

2)please make that faction based on Poland available in the campgain

3)has England had new shield skins or something similar, as they look different but i'm not sure why

great mod ^-^
    Last edited by gaunty14; November 24, 2008 at 03:56 PM.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    1)mercenaries are coming in the actual release aren't they
    If we find enough spare time from our busy real-lives, you will be able to test mercenaries in the next beta release
    2)please make that faction based on Poland available in the campgain
    Hm...not very sure what you mean here. If you are talking about the Savoians, they are already a playable faction!
    3)has England had new shield skins or something similar, as they look different but i'm not sure why
    They enjoy some small improvements in their appearance. The shields the units are holding are same as in the vanilla though.
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

yeah I meant the savoians, my mistake

and thanks for the info ^-^

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep