View Poll Results: Would you like a über spartan?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

5 41.67%
  • No!

7 58.33%
  • Yes, with some editing on your earlier writing though ...

0 0%

Thread: Would you like a über spartan?

Default Would you like a über spartan?

Would you like a über spartan that takes 5-10 turns to recruit and let it have higher stats than any infantry unit.
    With an high cost to, but the upkeep as normal because of the spartan skill to survive.
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Would you like a über spartan?

I voted for "YES" although I am not so sure how strong he must be. I quite liked the Spartans in vanilla XGM. And they were indeed powerful.
    But those took 30 turns to train (ridiculous, I always changed it back to like 5 or 10 turns and 8000 money).
    The 2 hitpoints in vanilla XGM made them extra strong. I actually quite liked it.

The IGCS should really have Spartans in the game since their lands are actually scattered over the world. And Sparta usually gets taken quickly by the Achaeans, Epirots or Makedonians.

I'm also in favor that every Greek faction should be able to recruit Spartans. So that counts for Epirus, Makedonia, IGCS and the Achaeans.
    If you play as a non-Greekish faction, and the IGCS get wiped out early at Sparta, then you still will be able encounter them in battle.....and have an actual chance of trying to beat them.

Admittedly, this could be fun, but Spartan bodyguards attached to Spartan generals is a very neat solution. I see no reason to change that or give Spartans better stats. ME

I do find it a neat solution too because those generals are really unique.
    But, if the Spartan generals die out, you get the original generals with horses.
    So its bit of a shame that you cannot recruit those Spartans as a loose unit.

A suggestion (I mentioned this in the suggestion thread aswell) is to use another Spartan model as the King's bodyguard.....and have the original vanilla XGM Spartans back as recruitable unit.

Or have it both ways if there's no suitable second Spartan unit. So the Royal Guard as general bodyguard and as recruitable unit.
    *I'm off now, have some battling to do against Romans *

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

I figure the best solution would be this: Keeping the Spartan bodyguards on the generals - this gives a chance for the player to have a really strong infantry unit that regenerates itself and gains experience along the way. The reason they seem a bit weak at first, is to balance the stats when they reach the third silver chevron.. They are a really awesome unit and I don't plan to change that bit.
    I also included the Spartiate hoplites, available in Sparta, which is a good, better than average spartan hoplite unit, though, they're not the Royal guards in any way..
    I guess adding a Spartan unit with a 6 turn recruitment time would be good, BUT, you would be able to spam them to no end, so I'm kinda skeptical about this whole issue. What I hate to see is a full stack of Spartans and they never really were an "uber" unit, just very good infantry, so I'll see how it goes.
    And no, you guys won't mostly have any say on this anyways, so you better like it - if you have some very good ideas, I'll probably take them into consideration
    ... It's all about balance - but I guess the Spartans do get roundhouse kicked out of Achaia awfully fast..

Im playing FATW atm and they have managed to create recruitable generals that have diffrent bodyguards.

You get the standard general bodyguards with most family members. (non-recruitable)

An improved cav bodyguard (only aviable in one city)

And a archer/swordman hybrid with a larger unit size. (only aviable in one city)

Was wondering if this may help with the issue?

You would be unable to spam them too much as they would die of old age.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

That's pretty much what xgmD... did you even read the topic or play the mod?

On the side note, I tweaked some stats and settings on the units and their recruitment:
    Spartiate Hoplites - much better and more expensive than standard Hoplites 100 men, 2 turns
    Spartan Royal Guard unit - a rather strong Hoplite unit with an expensive pricetag - 2hp, 60 men, 6 turns
    Spartan general guards - the same as Royal Guards with 1hp. The experience they gain makes them a powerful unit - 8 turns, very expensive

I think it will work just fine.
    Last edited by RedFox; November 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM.

Is this what you've changed?
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

If so, it sounds like sweet music to my ears!