Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Empires/Pics here!

Default Re: Post your empires/ kingdoms here!

Ya i was really attached to good ol flavius. He had done so much. He conquered even though i had no money to reinforce his army. It was also sad when i lost the one of the emperors sons while in britian. I would hate to have been the one to tell him that he lost 1 whole legion and his son in britian.

Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    Ya i was really attached to good ol flavius. He had done so much. He conquered even though i had no money to reinforce his army. It was also sad when i lost the one of the emperors sons while in britian. I would hate to have been the one to tell him that he lost 1 whole legion and his son in britian.
    Who gave you the tough fight in Britain? was it the Anglo/Saxons?

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

ya it was them. They had conquered all of britian and ireland when i invaded. They had 10 full stacks against my two. Though reinforcents really helped, and it was my imperial army from italy who had the best equipment and were well experienced from their days with flavius that did the most damage under the emperors oldest som placus. Who is now my best general under placus the kind which is weird because of the butchering he did in britian.

edit:o and i was wandering if your suppose to get traits or something for building triump buildings. because i built the franks, vandals, visigoth, and ostrogothic buildings and got none.
    Last edited by charles the hammer; May 25, 2009 at 06:02 PM.

ya it was them. They had conquered all of britian and ireland when i invaded. They had 10 full stacks against my two. Though reinforcents really helped, and it was my imperial army from italy who had the best equipment and were well experienced from their days with flavius that did the most damage under the emperors oldest som placus. Who is now my best general under placus the kind which is weird because of the butchering he did in britian.

edit:o and i was wandering if your suppose to get traits or something for building triump buildings. because i built the franks, vandals, visigoth, and ostrogothic buildings and got none.
    Yes I'm going to have to figure why those ancillaries aren't triggering

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Yes I'm going to have to figure why those ancillaries aren't triggering
    May have figgured it out testing something..I repeated a line for some reason

Trigger trigger_triumph4
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition FactionType empire_east, empire_west
    and EndedInSettlement
    and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= triumphostrogoth
    and Attribute Command >= 1
    and IsGeneral
    and IsFactionLeader
    and RemainingMPPercentage = 100

AcquireAncillary triumph4 chance 100

Well due to a persistant ctd i am stuck at where i am here:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I came so close to a whole roman empire but it looks like ill get no closer because i get a ctd right when i hit the end turn button. O and this picture is because i never complete a campaign to winning conditions.

Well due to a persistant ctd i am stuck at where i am here:

send me the saved game ok
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM.

im not sure how to do that

im not sure how to do that
    Open ur rio folder, click saves folder then copy the saves file within it to your desk top. Then upload it so I can download it and see if I can figure out the ctd

Im not sure how to upload it.

Im not sure how to upload it.
    Just email it(SAV File) to me..it will be sent as an attached file
    riothamous@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 28, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Few days ago downloaded this mod. First impressions seems very nice to me, made around 10 turns, so far had only one random crash, so results are pretty nice. Thanx a lot Riothamus for working on this mod. First choice was of course to play western roman empire. Difficulty level as usually VH/VH for ultimate challenge and huge units for ultimate fun.
    So... WRE is in dire situation.. or isnt it? The economy is a total disaster exept the capital Ravenna, which is makeing half or empire's income. The army... well.. I can barely have one full army, which is composed of not the best troops, only 1/4 of the first legion is reliable heavy infantry. This means my offensive operations are limited to one theatre of war, rest directions will be on defensive.
    The main task is improve economy, and do that very fast. This means every city must build something every turn. The second task is to defend the cities I have, since there are units that can be recruited in 0 turns (means that army can be raised anywhere at a very short time), it is quite easily done task with quite low expenses if you can afford to have a good network of spies and blocking forts on the main paths of enemy army. The third task is increase number of cities without expanding the war theatre, since I can have only one average legion.
    Where to send this one legion? Obviously not to the north - any posessions I will acquire there will be difficult to defend. Also I do not want to get into turmoil of nations in the north - roman army is too weak to deal with it. So north will be defensive. Invasion into the greece would be nice, but it is also potential turmoil of nations, spain - very tempting direction which is easy to defend, but then I will have to be on defensive versus vandals too, and for some reason I believe they will not be peacefull with me and sooner or later strike me in my homeland when I will be fighting in spain, so the wisest decision seems to me fighting vandals. This means invasion into corsica, then sardinia, or then again I can invade sicily. Then - naval assault on africa. I hope the coast of africa is rich
    After some spying I chose to invade Corsica only later Sicily. There were 3 vandal cities there, means they can build up good army quite fast on that direction and I did not want that. And vandals have only one city in Sicily, so it is unlikely they will get big army there.
    So... my First legion which was actually made of forces which were acquired by stripping all the garrisons from the middle cities of italy, commanded by the best general invaded corsica. The quality of troops meant that I will not risk to assault the cities, instead I chose to starve them out one by one. It is VH after all. And vandal garrisons seem quite strong - usually at least 6 units. Means I will loose around 1000-2000 men in frontal assault of total 3200, including the best heavy infantry which would be time consuming to reinforce. And I do not want that.
    Corsica was taken quite easily, after all starved out garrison was not a match for my first legion, and relieve army did not come at all.
    Before invding Sardinia, I noticed that vandals had a general with half of stack of good troops there, I reinforced it with one unit of mercenary cavalry in order to get the punching power versus enemy heavy infantry. Hammer and anvil tactics never failed me before. Still I had one full legion so invasion proceeded as planned. The first major land battle was fought near the nothern city of sardinia. I was sieging it, vandals came to relieve. It was around the same amount of troops with slight advantage in numers on my side - 3200 versus 2800, they had better quality units, but they were divided into 2 armies. So the battle was easy, lost only 600 men, majority of them foederati infantry and instantly took the city. Takeing the last southern city of Sardinia was easy task. A long siege and the city surrendered without a fight.
    The gradual increase of economy and gains in corsica and sardinia allowed me to train 2nd legion (only 4 lanciarii are elite troops there, rest limitanei and exculatores and even some militia) which was responsible for pacifying sicily. Rebel held town surrendered very fast after relief force came to them. And the vandal city in sicilia became besieged.
    Now I am scouting africa. Carthage is a tempting target. But it is well defended, allmost full barbarian horde sitting there plus one more is coming to it. Other cities are much less defendend. I believe I should go for them. And for some time it will be impossible to get decent reinforcements, exept the mercenaries in northern africa. I cannot afford loosing a battle. Loosing a battle means time, so far it is peaceful in the north, but I believe it is the silence before storm. I will have to fight on multiple fronts some day.

Quote Originally Posted by zero911 View Post
    Few days ago downloaded this mod. First impressions seems very nice to me, made around 10 turns, so far had only one random crash, so results are pretty nice. Thanx a lot Riothamus for working on this mod. First choice was of course to play western roman empire. Difficulty level as usually VH/VH for ultimate challenge and huge units for ultimate fun.
    So... WRE is in dire situation.. or isnt it? The economy is a total disaster exept the capital Ravenna, which is makeing half or empire's income. The army... well.. I can barely have one full army, which is composed of not the best troops, only 1/4 of the first legion is reliable heavy infantry. This means my offensive operations are limited to one theatre of war, rest directions will be on defensive.
    The main task is improve economy, and do that very fast. This means every city must build something every turn. The second task is to defend the cities I have, since there are units that can be recruited in 0 turns (means that army can be raised anywhere at a very short time), it is quite easily done task with quite low expenses if you can afford to have a good network of spies and blocking forts on the main paths of enemy army. The third task is increase number of cities without expanding the war theatre, since I can have only one average legion.
    Where to send this one legion? Obviously not to the north - any posessions I will acquire there will be difficult to defend. Also I do not want to get into turmoil of nations in the north - roman army is too weak to deal with it. So north will be defensive. Invasion into the greece would be nice, but it is also potential turmoil of nations, spain - very tempting direction which is easy to defend, but then I will have to be on defensive versus vandals too, and for some reason I believe they will not be peacefull with me and sooner or later strike me in my homeland when I will be fighting in spain, so the wisest decision seems to me fighting vandals. This means invasion into corsica, then sardinia, or then again I can invade sicily. Then - naval assault on africa. I hope the coast of africa is rich
    After some spying I chose to invade Corsica only later Sicily. There were 3 vandal cities there, means they can build up good army quite fast on that direction and I did not want that. And vandals have only one city in Sicily, so it is unlikely they will get big army there.
    So... my First legion which was actually made of forces which were acquired by stripping all the garrisons from the middle cities of italy, commanded by the best general invaded corsica. The quality of troops meant that I will not risk to assault the cities, instead I chose to starve them out one by one. It is VH after all. And vandal garrisons seem quite strong - usually at least 6 units. Means I will loose around 1000-2000 men in frontal assault of total 3200, including the best heavy infantry which would be time consuming to reinforce. And I do not want that.
    Corsica was taken quite easily, after all starved out garrison was not a match for my first legion, and relieve army did not come at all.
    Before invding Sardinia, I noticed that vandals had a general with half of stack of good troops there, I reinforced it with one unit of mercenary cavalry in order to get the punching power versus enemy heavy infantry. Hammer and anvil tactics never failed me before. Still I had one full legion so invasion proceeded as planned. The first major land battle was fought near the nothern city of sardinia. I was sieging it, vandals came to relieve. It was around the same amount of troops with slight advantage in numers on my side - 3200 versus 2800, they had better quality units, but they were divided into 2 armies. So the battle was easy, lost only 600 men, majority of them foederati infantry and instantly took the city. Takeing the last southern city of Sardinia was easy task. A long siege and the city surrendered without a fight.
    The gradual increase of economy and gains in corsica and sardinia allowed me to train 2nd legion (only 4 lanciarii are elite troops there, rest limitanei and exculatores and even some militia) which was responsible for pacifying sicily. Rebel held town surrendered very fast after relief force came to them. And the vandal city in sicilia became besieged.
    Now I am scouting africa. Carthage is a tempting target. But it is well defended, allmost full barbarian horde sitting there plus one more is coming to it. Other cities are much less defendend. I believe I should go for them. And for some time it will be impossible to get decent reinforcements, exept the mercenaries in northern africa. I cannot afford loosing a battle. Loosing a battle means time, so far it is peaceful in the north, but I believe it is the silence before storm. I will have to fight on multiple fronts some day.
    Thanks zero911 and welcome to the forums.

VH/VH will be a very serious challenge for you at least I think so. The game can sometimes progress differently than you might expect in that expanding your empire will create certain obstacles that in previous centuries the Romans did not have to face before.

The 434AD and especially the 463AD campaigns I've tried portray the WRE in some dire straights. Barbarian factions are within the old Roman boarders and their armies are now comparable in armour and tactics to the Romans.The economic situation has also deteriorated thus a major economic renewal is needed, especially in once Roman held hands that you may want to recapture. This is vital in creating powerful Roman units beyond the foederati that early in the campaigns you may find yourself relying on.

I totally agree with you early objectives and would continue to eye the African lands held by the Vandals. Once in your hands it can certainly fund your larger and stronger armies against the other growing barbarian factions around you and not worry as much about invasions for their strategic location.

Looking foward to seeing that rebuilt empire gl

Thanx Riothamus for warnings on VH levels, the game exelently shows the dire situation of WRE, lack of money most of all and then lack of troops also, and lack of troops means lost territory and inability to reform economy. How to break this ring - it is a nice challenge.

So the rebuilding of Roman empire goes on... as it was planned previuosly two legions - one after capturing the corsica and sardinia, the other after capturing sicily, assaulted the norther shore of Africa. Firstly aimed cities were Chullu and Carthage. Chullu garrison was understrenght - few units of not the best quality it fell pretty fast, while there was a half of valndal army near Carthage, plus half of stack inside. I chose not to siege the city, but to attack the army outside with the hope to lure charthage's garrison into the battle. The plan was succesful, however in order to get punching power had to hire mercenary cavalry and camel units. The plan worked well, vandals armies came on battlefield in two parts, however battle was not an easy one. Out of 3200 only around 1000 romans enjoyed the victory. I must notice that heavy vandal troops are quite difficult to rout and they have tremendous staying power even being charged from behind. Luckily there were not many elite troops on vandal side. The main aim - carthage and it's vast income was acquired. And Romans are able to build lots of good quality limitanei in the carthage. It is very easy to swarm enemy with fast built limitanei.
    Around 468 AD the map looked like this:

In the next four years - not much to mention - vandal armies are scattered - I noticed that they actually fight with berbers. And both are bleeding badly. So conquest of africa was easy. Romans were so sure of their strong position in africa, that even attacked berbers. To make sure the africa will be totally safe for all the times. There were no big battles, not mentioning probably berber capital Dimmidi and later - Lambaesis. But they did not impress me. Fighting berber cavalry in cities was a pleasure - they were unable to maneuver and charge. Vandals left with one city, that is Tingi. I chose not to destroy them totally - I do not want a wandering horde in africa. Instead I went for Cordoba with naval assault, wich as scouts reported was noones land.
    So the map around 472AD looked like this:

Next two years were trouble times for Rome. Romans realized that conquering Africa was much easier than keeping it. The militia in all african towns had to be constantly increased to avoid the revolts. And militia in africa consumed the budget of the empire. I could not strenghted defences at north of Italy, I could not build buildings at cities. That is not enough - vandals decided to start war with me. They wanted Arelate. But they probalby did not notice that Romans have one army in their homeland. I hoped to make a quick conquest of visighots as I did vs vandals which now were reduced to 1 province. While visighots tried to penetrate the Arelate defences, I managed to take Carthago Nova and Valencia. And that is it. No money to continue. The situation in Africa is getting only worse, more militia needed. The only good news is I wiped out berbers. In this dire situation I thought what can I do? From time to time the message was appearing that Easter roman empire is the wealthiest.. Were should I seek the money? I started civil war not from the hatred of fellow romans, but beacause I was in deep need of money. Half of legion, one laciarii and rest limitanei, under command of one general was my last hope. Scouts showed there are no ERE legions in greece, only small garrisons - 2, mostly 3 units. I have some time, I realized I will be unable to defend Arelate for longer time. But it will buy the time for empire. Also the Carthago Nova and Valencia should divert some of Visigoth armies. I realized I have some 1-2 years to conquer the greece and improve economic situation of the empire. So I acted according that plan.
    The map around 474 AD looked like this:

Two next years were marked with lots of battles. For my surprise the greece fell pretty fast. However also I started to loose the lands to visigoths. They recaptured Valencia. They finally swarmed Arelate. To my worst nightmare I noticed that limitanei are totally inadequate vs Visigoths. In one battle near Arelate 7200 romans met 2300 Visigoths. I won. But what a price... 3700 dead. I am unable to have more good units, they cost too much. In desperate battles near Arelate I lost all three generals of three different nothern Italian armies. After the loss of Arelate I had to strip the defences from Augusta Vindelicorum and Acuileia. The only hope that ostrogoths will not start the war with me. The situation in africa is desperate. Some uprisings started but I managed to subdue them. Generals with great influence, even the emperor himself had to be placed at most revolting cities. Burgunds started war with me - their target is mediolanum. The good news is I managed to capture the greece. With little blood. Alliance was made with suebi and Sassanids. Finally I can build city improvements again. But - still not much money for army. The africa which I hoped to be safe haven and money forgery actually allmost became a hugest burdain which allmost drowned empire.

The situation in 476 AD looked like this:

In next three years there were some positive changes. The money from east helped to build improvements which calmed down a populiation in africa. Militia garrisons started to be sacked there. Conquest of the estern roman empire had to be stopped however. After the loss of Arelate in the plains next to Mediolanum appeared 2 armies of burgundii and 2 of visigoths. All the money were diverted into recruiting lots of limitanei + mercenaries. I relied only on tactics of anvil and hammer. The limitanei were anvil - they are able to hold the line for some time, and the mercenary cavalry was hammering the expirienced visigoth troops from behind I was able to restore the northern limits, build some forts again. I even was able to recapture Arelate. And also decided to harass the eastern coastline of visigoth kingdom. Naval landfall was made at Tarraco, I suspect it will be unsuccesful, but main aim is to divert visigoths into defence of their own lands.
    The Carthago Nova is sieged almost every turn by visigoths. Heavy war goes on there.
    At the east is calm - in greece ERE makes no attempts to recapture towns I occupied. I have allmost no armies there - one legion is guarding those lands.

The situation around 479AD looks like this:

In general I can say that VH/VH is playable and highly enjoyable, however very challenging. So far I am using not the best units, because I simply have no money for them. And the empire is constantly on the edge of destruction. If I loose the italy - I will loose over 60 percent of income, and this means death. This mod is REALLY one of the best who like challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by zero911 View Post
    In general I can say that VH/VH is playable and highly enjoyable, however very challenging. So far I am using not the best units, because I simply have no money for them. And the empire is constantly on the edge of destruction. If I loose the italy - I will loose over 60 percent of income, and this means death. This mod is REALLY one of the best who like challenges.
    Thats quite the campaign you got going. I'm gad your finding it not only challenging but also fun. Keep us updated please..am enjoying it

Also smart move in the taking ERE provinces... they are wealthy, Roman and have no added - penalties

Year 484 AD... It will be written with golden letters in all books of history - the Roman empire is finally united again. The world shakes in the sight of such tremendous power being reborn from ashes.

What happened during that period:

In Iberia - Carthago Nova was lost in very 479 AD. It simply was strangled without reinforcements. Once garrison's commander, a very expirienced general who was participating in beating vandals died of an old age (67), his young son was unable to hold the city. Also the legion which was brought by navy to Tarraco and was trying to siege it was totally destroyed by more expirienced and better armored barbarian horde. Due to evens on other fronts I was unable to continue operations in Iberia so I had to retreat from there.. at least for now. No, retreat is a bad word. I was annihilated there. Noone retreated.

North of Italy - The defense... Arelate was defended from Burgundii siege. But then unexpected thing happened. Two more barbarian nations declared war on me. Mighty Frankish warlords seek something to add to their kingdom, plus ostrgoths with whom I have the longest and least defended border declared war on western roman empire.
    An attemt to hastly establish nothern border with for system by the river to hold franks from nothern italy was foiled by lack of generals and armies and the funds in general. The defence was mobile there - it means the legions hide in the mountains until the franks siege Augusta Vindelicorum, which had full legion of limitanei as garrison inside. Then I simply counter attack and with numerior superiority drive away sieging Frankish horde. The border in such condition is kept until 484 AD, that is five years of constant clashes of armies. Both sides are bleeding, but both are unable to hurt each other in any way exept the destruction of some army which is quickly rebuild. I cannot capture frank town, I can see at least 8 hordes near the northern border and totally unable to advance with 4 legions of bad or average quality. The best legion which's aim is to harrass enemy forces there is made of 1/4 horse archers, 1/4 cavalry and rest - average infantry. I am impressed by frankish heavy infantry. Only by constant maneuvering I am able to beat them in the field sometimes.
    Ostrgoths... made a huge mistake by declaring war on Rome. Yes, I am unable to fight all enemies at once. But with the help of the money coming from the east I am able to advance on one front. Since the border with ostrgoth was longest and the most difficult to defend - I started offensive on them. It was a bloodbath. Literally. They had 6-8 hordes of quite good quality, only the ability to rebuild armies very quickly allowed me to overcome ostrgoths. In the destrucion of ostroghts participated legions from italy and also two legions from the east - hastly assembled in greece. In 2 years ostrgoth armies were annihilated by Roman legions with heavy losses on both sides and most of their towns exept the capital Vindobona and Campus Herules were conquered by Romans. Then the last of their generals - which was also the last king died in the batle near Vindobona. That's it, ostrgoths ceased to exist, so I captured rest of their towns plus neutral Salona, which appeared to be good source of money. And Vindobona - a good source of high quality troops as most of military upgrades are built there, and also good source of money. The intensity and frequency of the battles with ostrgoths can be illustrated by the fact that during few years their whole royal family perished in the battles. I never use assasins. Romans are too proud for that. But I always seek enemy general in the battlefield.

Visigoths... and Burgundii.... and poor town of Arelate. The hastly created fort system did manage to hold for a year enemy hordes. But the defences were penetraded. No troops in Arelate could be raised - town is devastated. And due to heavy wars on all sides I am unable to reinforce it properly nor send any help. Visigoths captured the town again, but this gave me preciuos time to beat ostrgoths. After Arelate Visigoths and Burgundii literraly flooded the lands of Aemilia et Liguria (with town of Mediolanus). Up to 8 full hordes were roaming there and sieging the town, trying to cross the rivers and move towards genoa and maybe Ravenna itself. On in one moment the situation was so desperate, that I started even of thinking that with the gains in the east I actually can afford the loss of Mediolanum. The worst is the fact that enemy had exelent quality veteran troops with silver armor mark. They were beating limitanei based legions with an ease. However the gains in the east allowed me to build military buildins in north of italy instead of economic ones. After few years it allowed me to field the same quality troops. The battles became more or less equal. However until 483 AD I was still unable to drive the hordes away and Mediolanum usually was under siege/relieved many times.

East.... After some battles with eastern roman empire I realized that they are plagued with the same thing as western roman empire - army upkeep is too high. They are unable to field many troops. Great news - so I simply pressed more effort into conquering east - greece, asia minor, eastern africa, finally I came to my easter ally - sassanids. All the best ERE generals and an army, if those straggler forces of 300-500 men can be called an army were concentrated in the east fighting sassanids. I was surprised by how much revenue can the Constantinople make - 100 000 per one season. Far east is not that rich, maybe because it is still undeveloped. After five years ERE ceased to exist. I was impressed by their general's cavalry charges. But they did not impress me in any other way, well exept maybe the richeness of their lands

Again northern Italy... Advance on visigoths this time. The recent gains of eastern territories allowed me to come to iberia again. The aim was to cut the flow of best enemy troops into northern italy. Two naval forces carried two legions, which were made of high tier limitanei. One of them landed near the cost of Tarraco and went for old Visigoth capital - Tolosa. The other, which landed later, went for Tarraco and besieged it. Tolosa was tried to be relieved by 2 visigoth armies of not to best quality - their quantity was bigger, but the quality was not the best. They ceased to exist, however my legion suffered around 60 percent casualties. Tolosa fell. This legion was reinforced by troops from Tolosa and went for Budrigala, captured it too, this time no relieve forces of Visigoths came. Remember - allmost whole army of theirs is trying to capture mediolanum. So I went to siege next visigoth city - Lemonum. In norhtern italy near the mediolanum visigoths desperately tried to cross the rivers - lost lots of warriors there. Some legions of mine were annihilated too. It all happened very quickly. I can say in half of year (2 turns) - around half of visigoth best armies were destroyed. Basically despite their territory looks big - they are close to destruction. It will take me 2-3 years to get total control of iberia. I exercise on them the same tactics as I did with ostroghts - as many engagements as possible in as short as possible period of time. They are unable to reinforce quick enough despite they have lots of money and towns.

The plans are after the destrucion of visigoths to clean out africa from vandals. Then beat the burgundii, and finally I will be able to hit the fankish kingdom in their most vulnerable spot - the undefended capital while they have fun at northern italy.

That's it... and the map with gloriuos words is below:

By the way - ability to hire units in very short time, including in just occupied towns allows a real blitzkrieg and no desperate need of reinfrocements from homeland. But what I really loved is the intense pressure which is made by barbarian factions on romans. I had over 210 battles, 150 of them won, over 60 lost. I had to think what to do most of times, fist alone is not enough there to solve the problems, amazing game. Now finally I can enjoy the power and bash those nasty barbarian factions one by one

margio's Avatar Biarchus

GREAT CAMPAIGN zero911!

Indefinitely Banned

Nice story zero911, it could be AAR even.

My Roman Britain Campaign at 527 AD. The WRE, and DOS have been wiped out by various barbarian factions. TH ERE was on the verge of extiction also until I intervened with military and economic aid. The coffers are full and I have recruited many barbarain generals to my reborn Roman Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioneljoe View Post
    My Roman Britain Campaign at 527 AD. The WRE, and DOS have been wiped out by various barbarian factions. TH ERE was on the verge of extiction also until I intervened with military and economic aid. The coffers are full and I have recruited many barbarain generals to my reborn Roman Empire.
    Impressive Lioneljoe