Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Can Everyone please re-read the post I made earlier. You'll know which bit I want you to read I think.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Well, I must congratulate the Consul on his wonderful victory against the Carthaginian scoundrels. Forward, to Lilibeo!

As for senator Falco. I must admit it is a sad loss. We must make advances to search for his disappearance. At the same time, our trade rights with the Greeks and Macedonians must still be established. I am willing to go in senator Falco's stead if the Senate so wishes.

OOC: Xavier, there's been some confusion. We need to not mention Falco until Winter tells us what's going on
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

OOC: Well... Wode just announced it....

OOC:I know, but we're not sure what's going on

Well, Senator Balbus, it is iindeed past the time we might have expected Falco to reply, but he deserves more of a chance. If we are, in the future, however, forced to declare him missing, I would be happy to lead the investigation.

I don't care who is sent so long as he is sent as soon as possible. We musn't delay any longer, it is vital to our economic health that we initiate trade with the Epirotes and Makedonians.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

The midday sun broke through into the senate as the doors to the sacred hall were opened. Glaring off the tiles all that could be seen was a shadow in the doorway. A shadow of a once renowned figure in the curia, now just a memory of years gone by. As their eyes adjusted they could see who it was.
    Was it true?
    Has he returned?
    Has he returned to Rome?

Now well past his prime, his skin ruined with age, still limping from old victories in the south, a reminder of lost friends and new enemies. The toga was a sad state compared to the those seated around the senate. Not even white, more grey with a faded purple stripe. It smelled of urine, definately lacking in a final rinsing before it was hung to dry.

All eyes fell on him, watching his every move as he walked around to the top row at the back. Some even shuffled and made way so as not to have the stench to close to them. Now in a secluded spot he sat and listened. Nodding that they may continue... he looked only forward with a glaze in his eyes to hear what was happening...
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

OoC: ***K YES!!!!! WOHOOOOOOO WOHOOOOOOO WOOOOOOH WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP!!!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Scipio smiled to see the old man return. Perhaps this will compensate for the sudden disappearance of Falco.

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus looked at the old man fondly.

Welcome back, dear Claudius. The House has indeed missed you.

Not knowing whether the jesture is meant in kind or just to annoy the old man. He turns toward Marcus and nods his acceptance. Focusing again in front of him he stares at the speaker of the house to here what is happening...
    What road has Rome followed and what war do they now fight.
    As this is all Rome knows, a warring nation out of greed.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Ave, Senator Claudius. You will not know me, as I was not active in the senate when you were. But I have heard much about you. May I express on behalf of the Senate our joy to see you return to it's halls.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Senators, a dear friend has returned to our halls, but he has not come to listen to our greetings! He is here to hear what happens in Rome! And Rome is at War! War, Gnaeus Claudius, war! The greatest she has been in yet. War against Carthage. The invasion of the island of Sicilia has begun, under the command of our great consul, Marcus Atilius Balbus.
    Also, there have been reports about farms being pillaged in Northern Italy, by some kind of tribes. South has fallen in to war, and something stirs in the North, too. The disappearance of Senator Falco during his mission in the North is also distressing.
    Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; November 23, 2008 at 06:00 AM.

For now, my own stance will be to hope for the best with Consul Balbus' affairs in the South. I presume the duty of every Roman with the Mos Maiorum is the same.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Nodding as they muttered away Claudius thought to himself:

So Marcus Atilius is consul. No wonder...
    War, war, war.
    Thats all it ever is with these men. Most of them no little of the peoples suffering throughout the republic yet all they do is wage more war.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Celsus looked sourly at the old man, and asked:

"Now that you know what has happened and what is happening, what say you about Rome's situation, Senator Claudius?"
    Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; November 23, 2008 at 06:45 AM.

Startled by the question Claudius rose to answer...

You asking me?
    I have just arrived... why not look to those who know what is happening.
    I am only here to listen and when I feel I have something to offer you young pups then I will share it.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Scipio chuckled to himself. How "surprised" would Claudius be to discover we had granted Balbus Imperium over the south. Shaking his head Scipio downed his wine in a single gulp.

Celsus sighs. You're past your prime, he thought. You stink. You are just an old fool, who came along to watch the show and throw needless criticism at us. We are fine without it! Leave Rome to the young, Claudius, leave it to us!

"Then I shall look to those who know what is happening.
    How are things going on in Sicily? Have we got any reports from our consul?
    Also, how is Italy faring with the higher taxes?
    Has Senator Crassus gone to investigate the north?"