Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

That is good news indeed. If those Carthaginian dogs are already cowering from the strength of one Roman legion, imagine what it will be like for them when our economy has more power to fund more legions. They will be crushed!

We should begin debating the invasion of Sicily, do we have any credible intelligence on the state of their military force on the island?
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 19, 2008 at 06:03 AM.

I believe that matter is in the hands of Consul Balbus. If he has the authority to recruit soldiers it is certainly within his power to train spies if they are needed.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post
    We should begin debating the invasion of Italy, do we have any credible intellignece on the state of their military force on the island?
    The invasion of Italy? I think you must mean the invasion of Sicily, dear Praetor.

Censor Lepidus has confirmed that intelligence networks are active in Sicily. The Consul can use these to obtain any and all information neccesary.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

OOC: Haha, I misspelled intelligence and wanted to invade Italy all in one post! I had just read TFT Carthage before I made that post and all the excitement about the invasion of Italy.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I believe the motion passed earlier gave the consul Imperium over all of Sicily, so he may invade at his discretion. He should however know that the Senate will not take kindly to being uninformed about his plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Turnus, having entered the Curia, stands

Senators, I am sorry for my long time of absence from these sacred halls, but I had certain important matters to attend to. My mother has been afflicted with the gravest illness and I was needed at her side all these long months. And although it pains me to have to leave her side, I believe the Republic's call overcedes that of my own family. After all, Brutus executed his sons to save the Republic. I can only offer my most sincere apology for not serving Rome during her time of need. So now I humbly ask of an update to our current predicament. Are we still at war with Carthage? How are the legions doing? And have we heard back yet from Senator Falco?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Welcome back Senator Turnus. I admire your strength and offer your mother my best wishes.

As of this moment, Balbus is driving the Carthaginians southwards and hopefully out of Italia entirely, Falco is heading by land through Illyria to Greece, Scipio is approaching the rebels on the Adriatic coast, and a tax increase has been passed to assist in keeping our treasury full in the stead of income formerly derived from trade with our new enemies the Carthaginians. I hope this helps.

Concerning the invasion of Sicily, I think it would be in everyone's best interest if, once Balbus defeats the Carthaginians in the south, he, using our spies and other intelligence in the island, prepares a detailed strategy in which he explains the course of action he will take once his men land on Sicilian soil. I think this would, for once, calm any senator who might still be concerned about consul Balbus's power, as well as allowing us to know what to expect from the invasion.

He should deliver a rough plan, yes, but the fact of military conflict is that no plan can work when it comes into contact with the enemy. It has to be altered - this is why we bestow Imperium to our military leaders in such situations. We have to trust him to act on his own discretion, and deviate from his plans. If we debate every maneouvre in the Senate, by the time a decision is made the situation will have changed.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Of course, I did not mean that he should discuss his strategy with us, only to tell it to us so we are aware of what his next move will be.

Thank you Senator Junius for your kind and helpful words.

Turnus pauses, and turns his attention to Spurius Herrenius

Senator Herrenius, are you questioning the course of action that will be taken by a consul that has served us so faithfully in our times of need? What he does militarily in Sicily is of his own matter, so long as he keeps military contact only between us and the Carthaginians, we should not question his judgements. After all, he WAS elected to conduct the arts of war alongside Caelinus was he not?

But another question haunts me Senators. Why was Falco sent to Greece, I thought he was being sent to broker a negotiation in the North? I need further details of what has transpired in these halls.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

The Consul in a full panoply armour enters the curia and instantly realises he has brought in his sword and after some gasps quickly throws his belt outside the doors of the curia.

Senators of Rome! I bring you the Carthaginian commander!

A well dressed , yet chained man is thrust into the house and falls to his knees beside the consul. The man struggles to his feet. I have treated him hospitably and with kindness; and I sincerely hope that the Praetors will do no such thing when he is tried!

OOC: Details of the battle will follow this announcement

I must however bring disturbing news to this Curia. Our esteemed colleague Falco has vanished without sight. He no longer responds and reports back to the senate and as such I feel we need to replace him until he reappears. I will ask launch a plea to all allies and offer a personal reward to whoever has information, provided it can be verified.

I must however travel to Sicily, for I have a war to win, and Rome a score settled.

The Consul strides out and galloping through the night, by sunrise has regrouped with his men in Bruttium.
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; November 20, 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Please re-read this post!
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

A scribe enters and leaves a pile of papers in the centre of the curia and several senators step forth and unfurl them.

Not soon after dawn, the Carthaginian force had retreated many miles, but they were losing ground to us and in a thick forest, they prepared to fight. The woodland hampered traditonal tactics so I formed up my army into two lines as such.

I then proceeded to March forward, able only to the elephants protruding above the trees. I moved with caution, wary of an ambush that could come from any side (1 & 2). When close enough, the Asscensi launched a tirade of stones at the elephants, but the men were stunned to watch the missles simple bounce of the thick skin of these small elephants (3).

With no hope of penetrating the elephants natural armour with slings, the infantry closed and delivered a hail of Pila upon them. The sole elephant that survived entered into a fit of rage and began shredding the Carthaginian lines and causing panic and disorder throughout the lines of both our sides(4).

And despite a very minor cavalry engagements on the right flank, the Carthaginians half-heartedly threw themselves at our men and were beaten by Roman sweat as opposed to tactical brilliance.

The result was decided before the battle, but the performance of the men stood out and I believe that Sicily should be an easy victory. Here is a projected path and the city of Lilibeo appears lightly defended. I hope to wrap this up by the end of the turn and then we can discuss reparations.

add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Censor Lepidus stands

Our Consul has struck a mighty blow for our cause, but the war is not won yet. Well done Balbus, now on to Lilibeo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Aye, on to Lilibeo!

Shifting uncomfortably in his seat, the Praetor finally manages.

A job well done with these Carthaginian dogs, but let this craven animal be driven from our sight and locked up. He should be brought to trial for crimes against the Roman people. His actions shall not go unpunished. Did he honestly think he could ravage the countryside unpunished?

Congratulations on your wonderful victory, Consul. Now, to advance on Sicily!

Removed information your character couldn't know. Please pm me or comment in the OOC thread if you feel this is not right.

Winter
    Last edited by Winter; November 20, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

OOC: You're not supposed to know about it .

My congratulations on such great victory, Senators. As it stands, it might also be prudent to take on the Mamertine scoundrels that terrorize the city of Messana with their mercenary contempt. I sincerely hope the Consul can walk through them as he walked through the Carthaginians.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)