Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

From my knowledge of the last term, there is one spy in residence near to Caralis, who keeps vigilant watch of that area. Another is spending his time in central Sicily, where he can keep track of what's happening in Messana and Syracuse, and also inform us of any incoming Carthaginian armies. However, if he was to spy on Lilybaeum, then he would have to be posted further west.

I think one spy in the east and one in the west of Sicilia is best. The western spy can inform us on reinforcements that pass through or land there, and the eastern spy can aid us in sieges and information regarding the composition of enemy garrisons.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

OOC: Update coming soon!
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

OOC: Yay!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Men, I have a brief overview of the military situation.

Currently, my army in the south is gathering in strength and now is approaching optimum numbers. It is slightly short on alae, but I would ask the senate to cause no further delay and allow me to strike at the Punic aggressors in the south now.

I also have an overview of the new praetors army. It currently is battered, and despite the quality of the legion, I personally believe it too small to engage the rebels. It should however be ready to put them down within the year.

And finally, I would ask for Imperium to use the south of italy as I please for the duration of my term in case I require reinforcements for my legion.

Pics to follow VERY SHORTLY!
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; November 12, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

I am in favour of granting Senator Balbus Imperium of Southern Italy as soon as possible, as it will facilitate his task of mounting an effective offensive.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Absolutely not, Praetor! The Consul should be given command of his legion and no more! The Senate should not give away its sovereignty over southern Italy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Consular Imperium already gives the Consul absolute power on the theatre of operations and the authority to enroll the socii in the South. If you think Balbus is not suited for the task, you might as well grant the imperium to another trusted man and not meddle unecessarily in his affairs as you seem to wish now. And this, Senatores, is a blatant disrespect to our Mos Maiorum and a self contradiction by our body, which retains the right to closely scrutinise and make men with Imperium fully accountable for their actions. I say we grant the Imperium to Consul Balbus, and let him pursue the war as he sees fit.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

If you think Balbus is not suited to the task, you might as well give up. It's necessary to ease his task, and I can't think of anyone more trustworthy. What, do you think Balbus is going to march on Rome with one legion and a couple of small socii settlements? I fail to see the logic in this refusal, Censor.

Imperium is not necessary. Imperium should only be granted in cases of extreme need, and we are not close to that point yet.

I am also of the opinion that the legion in the north could either stop briefly in Arretium to retrain, or hire some additional mercenaries to crush the rebels. Should it be the Senate's will, I will rejoin them to finish the mission originally entrusted to me. .

I believe the general consensus is that you are to retain your position, Praetor. There is no cause for you to relinquish your command.

You mean, the Imperium over Southern Italy? Of course it is necessary! Why are we appointing a Commander if we can't even give him the necessary power under the force of law? Rome will not bow down to half measures and irrational fears, I assure you!

And Balbus is not "marching" into Rome. It is against the Mos Maiorum, and he will not shame his name, family and subordinates by trying to use force against the Senate. In that, he would quickly lose his support, for the loyalty of the men stands with the Res Publica. Do not fear power hungry demagogues, and especially do not fear Balbus because he is not one of them.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

I know, Senator Cotta, I was pointing out the absurdity of the suggestion that Balbus might do such a thing, as I can see no other reason to deny him Imperium.

I don't know what exactly constitutes an emergency to you, Praetor Scipio, but I was under the impression that imminent war with our neighbour and one of the world's largest powers was not something we took lightly!

What shall I do then? Shall I not reinforce? Should I waste what money we have on gutless mercenaries?

What I ask for is reasonable, the imperium to reinforce with Socii, the legion in the south. It is not an emergency measure by any means of the imagination, however, it appears that some of you have quite a vivid one. I am asking for a simple formality, and some of you act as if I desire to appoint my self the 8th king of Rome! I was elected by the people to lead her armies, now let me do my job.

I would say that our Consul should be given his Imperium. However, if he abuses his power, then he can be recalled immediately. If he doesn't have imperium, I have doubts about his troops fully trusting him, if we who entrusted him with the command cannot trust him enough to give him power.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus rises. The House must see the truth. There is no time for waiting. War is on our hand.

"Marcus Atilius Balbus has been one of the most loyal Romans we have seen for a long time! Who can we trust if not a man like him? Imperium has to be given to strong men. Men who know what to do with the power given to them! Fellow Senators, give our consul that power.Let him clean the scum of Carthage from Italy!!"

Given the urgency of the war and the approval of most of this House on such measures I would like to move this forward so the campaign can be safely concluded. Therefore I motion that:

I. Marcus Atilius Balbus, as Consul of the Romani, be given full Imperium over Southern Italia and Sicilia, including the allied nations of Rhegion and Taras, for the conduction of a succesful war against the Carthaginian and Sicilian foes.
    II. That this provision lasts until the end of his term, when the Senate may debate and approve a renewal of his powers as a Proconsul of Rome for the duration of the war, or not, depending on the circumstances.

By full Consular Imperium, under the law, this would include the right to enroll the Socii by his own decree and act on his own wishes for the Greater Good of Rome as a commander on the field. The Senate will watch him closely and make him responsible for his actions if he commits any wrongdoing, of course.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; November 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM.

I believe that this is a suitable command for our Consul. The motion has my support.

I back this motion. It is the best way to progress and allow Consul Balbus to do his job.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

*Senator Celsus smiles at Consul Balbus and nods with approval at the words of his fellow senators.*