Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

OOC: Marcus Celsus = [user]Elendil of Numenor[/user]

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Do not play me as a fool, Quaestor. I was simply responding to this bit of Senator Saturninus's proposals

3. Consul Balbus needs to capture all of Sicily's cities so that our hold on it can be secure from further assaults.
    The argument can be made, Quaestor, that Syracuse is a Sicilian city...

I agree that Marcus Celcius could be sent to south Italy. Perhaps some proposals should go to the vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I shall enquire of Senator Celcus if he is willing to go.

Senatus Consultum pro 485 A.U.C.
    I. Senator Celcus shall be sent to Greece by land through Illyria at the head of a diplomatic envoy with intent to establish peace and trade with Makedonia, Epiros, and the Koinon Hellenon.

II. The soldiers of Legio I shall be honorably and evenly discharged throughout Etruria, Arretium, Latium, and Campania.

III. The Praetor Caius Maxim Scipio shall be awarded an ovation by the Senate.

IV. The Consul Balbus shall be granted the cumulative annual sum of 1,000 mnaii to spend on the recruiting of troops for the war in Sicily.

If Senator Celcus declines to represent the Senate and People by leading the envoy, we may easily replace his name with that of another.

I agree to this proposal. It is a good compromise.

Should the consul need more troops in the south, he can recruit them himself.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I wholeheartedly support this proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

As the peoples tribune i can say that i fully back the motion of disbandment! as well as the rest of the points.

It has my full backing.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

The proposal has my support.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Motion supported.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

I thank you, Senators, for supporting me, I promise, I shall not fail Rome.

I too support the motion wholeheartedly.

OOC: It's Celsus, not Celcus. I think I'll change my sig, it's hard to read it.

I would say we have a majority. Let us implement the decree.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

The motion satisfies me in all regards except for one. Let us put it to vote.

One Consul is away at war and the other is rarely present. We are never going to get anything done if we must do everything formally.

ooc: In the absence of our consuls, is a Praetor allowed to put the votes up?

*unfurls scroll*

The CONSULS shall preside over the senate. They shall have the sole power to put up motions for vote, and shall decide what topic is up for debate.

-the Leges Rei Publicae Romanae

Senators, I propose the following amendment to our constitution:

The CONSULS shall preside over the senate. They shall have the sole power to put up motions for vote , and shall decide what topic is up for debate.

The Consuls shall lead armies at the discretion of the Senate, and may veto each others' decisions.

The Consuls may overrule the decisions of the proconsuls, and may not be tried for a crime while sitting in office. They shall serve a term of one year.

-----

The PRAETORS shall oversee the courts of Rome. They shall preside over trials and set punishments according to law and their own judgement. In the absence of the consuls, whether on campaign or on leave, the praetors shall have secondary responsibilities of moving motions to a vote.

The Praetors shall also have the responsibility to command armies at the behest of the Senate, though this role should be limited to when the force in question is not deemed by the Senate to be worthy of Consular action.

Praetors shall serve one year.

Certainly, let's have the Consul put the amendment--oh, that's right.

Maybe Lepidus could put this to the vote since he was so instrumental in forming the document in the first place.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Indeed. We need the motion put to vote quickly, and we need to be a bit informal to be formal. Have our Censor do it now, I agree.

As do i.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.