Page 8 of 175 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Am getting a "database error cannot find greek general's id" on starting the prologue. Installed on a virgin 1.2 - installer works fine - I checked descpt_strat and the export units and the gc generals match up. Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Never mind I figured it out. Been so long since I had to skip the prologue I forgot how. Just added "early" to the prologues greek generals and it worked fine. I am interested in what is store for the future as I only am interested in playing as Greece/Macedon. My game I modded to get combine the greeks with Macedon. Works pretty well. Attached are a few unit cards if you can use them. Small ones anyway

JW

double post - sorry
    jw

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

@JWoods - thanks for the cards. It's been so long since I played the prologue I forgot to check if it still worked. No surprise that it doesn't I guess. I'll have to include instructions in the readme on how to skip it - or do something fancy with the installer to change the preferences file automatically.

*Edit* Decided to go with the "do something fancy with the installer" option. Future versions will automatically allow players to skip the prologue.

@Rosacrux redux - that is very weird. Do you have a save file from just before this happens? I'd like to take a look at a game and see exactly what is going on. You're not playing "short" campaigns are you?

I am interested in what is store for the future as I only am interested in playing as Greece/Macedon.
    The planned changes for XGM 2.1 look something like this:
    -Temples will be re-worked so that all of the Olympian gods, and a handful of others, are represented.
    -Sound is getting an over-haul. All of the new units now make appropriate noises when you select them, and I *might* put out a greek music pack as well.
    -Thorough vanilla bug fix - earlier versions included some of the community bug fixes, but XGM 2.1 will include all of the pure fixes.
    -A handful of new units, including some new naval units.

If there is anything you would like to see, feel free to make suggestions.

Damn, DBH, I just removed my previous installation and installed fresh and I removed my saves as well. But I'll start a new campaign with XGM soon enough and if that happens again (hopefully it wont...) I'll post again and upload the save.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Winner of the - once upon a time - least popular TWC
    TOPIC award

Υπό την αιγίδα του Tacticalwithdrawal
    under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal

Naughty bros: Red Baron and Polemides

Thanks Rosacrux - hopefully it won't happen again - but if it is a problem with XGM I definitely want to track it down.

How much longer until you can implement the Spartans? Anything else I can do to help?

The new Spartan skin will probably be in XGM 2.1 as well. Do you know what model was used? It would be good to have all of the detail levels.

Originally posted by DimeBagHo@Apr 19 2005, 07:36 AM
    The new Spartan skin will probably be in XGM 2.1 as well. Do you know what model was used? It would be good to have all of the detail levels.
    It is custom...

I'll make all of the detail levels and upload a fresh version tonight - watch this post.

Thanks med_cd, I like to have all the detail levels working for the benefit of people with slow rigs.

I've got a new Spartan model (I change daily). I'm not really satisfied though - You see, I wanted to use the plume used by the regular armoured hoplites, except with stripes of white and black. Well, there wasn't enough room on the texture for the necessary alpha. Any ideas?

Part of the reason I wasn't satisfied with the old version was that it used the pike model - the one that has really weird shoulders. At least now they look more natural, and closer to the Spartans seen in different parts of the game (the screens before a battle for example).

The new Spartans look good, and I like the "L" on the shield. When the new Spartans are ready I will probably change the symbols for Macedon as well (to the vergina star).

Alright, sounds good. The LOD models should be easily done once I have the design finalized.

One question: Want the plume sideways or front-to-back? I'm having some agitating problems with the front-to-back, I just can't seem to get it centered and pointing straight... Plus I'm having some weird shading problems.

Nice Spartans! I'd personally prefer the plume sideways. I'm already used to it from the alternative CA Spartan model, and it looks slightly more menacing IMO.

Attached is the Seleucid part of the descr_strat file, for the planned provincial campaign. It's nothing special on its own, so only DimeBagHo can use it. I haven't had a chance to test it, so I'm not sure whether there are too few troops to keep order or too many to allow a healthy economy... or, of course, if there are any typos.

@meh_cd - sideways is OK with me, although I did get a surprising number of complaints when I gave sideways plumes to the hypaspists :erm .

@Seleucos - I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I have finished the GCS, but there is still a lot to be done, so the provincial campaign probably won't make it into XGM 2.1. Feel like doing another faction?

I can do Pontus within a few minutes (compared to the extended family, buildings and armies for the 18 Seleucid provinces, Pontus is nothing). I won’t even have to change the family tree, just new buildings and units to keep them up to speed with the other factions. By the way, I’m not sure how advanced or not the Seleucids are in comparison with the Greek Cities, I was just guessing. Maybe you could send me your work on the Greek Cities or just comment on my building/armies choices.

I could work on the Parthians next, to conclude the east portion of the map.

Oh, the complaints about your hypaspists’ plumes may have had something to do with their being identical to officers, though I’m just guessing again. If that was the case, I wouldn’t worry about the Spartans

Edit: Double post

In reply to the post below, presently the Seleucids have only one large city, many cities and large towns and only one town. Their army consists mostly of levy pikemen and militia and Greek cavalry, with a few phalanx pikemen in the bigger cities. Antioch has a hippodrome, so better units can be trained, though not immediately. In light of what you said, I'll upgrade their military potential (elephants, chariots, phalangites, and a few silver shield pikemen and legionaries at the capital) to match. I'll probably keep most of the cities as they are, as the ones in Egypt will grow fast, and there are just so many of them.

Edit 2: Here is the new and improved (militarily) Seleucid faction.

For the GCS I gave them some huge well developed cities (Sparta, Corinth, Athens, Syracuse). So they are pretty much at the top of their tech tree. I think Thessalian Cavalry are about the only unit they don't have from the get go (and elephants - but only because they lack the resource). The smallest settlements were minor cities.

I think if you aim for level four units that should be about right, but don't be afraid to hand out a few huge cities. The campaign will start right before the Marius reforms (or right after if I figure out how to trigger them immediately - can't get past the random delay yet).

Apparently only Spartan officers used the sideways plume.

Hey,

Great Mod , but im having trouble advancing to the final stage (Pro-Consuls Palace?). Everythings a-ok up untill I try to advance a settlement to the final stage - ive tried it with numerous settlements , but everytime I get a "Faction Wiped Out - You are Defeated" Screen - even though im a long way from being wiped out. The only other mod im using is the "Advanced all Factions Playable" mod.

Please help =(