Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Halley_91's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Discussion and Announcements

to DimeBag - ok cheers but im guessing theres no way to get those unit types into the latest XGM version, (why remove them they looked good btw)

Damn it's sure seldom one expands an empire eastwards beyond the Armenian and central Seleucid lands. I've always thought of trying it - then I come to my senses when I realise the public order problems I'd have.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Halley_91 View Post
    to DimeBag - ok cheers but im guessing theres no way to get those unit types into the latest XGM version, (why remove them they looked good btw)
    Yeah, you can get them in, but you have to DL the versions of XGM that have them, hunt through the files for everything (texture, unit cards, etc.), then code them into the latest version of XGM.

It's a pretty complicated process, but if you really want them, I'd assume there are tutorials in the workshop that can help you.

It's a nice forum.

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

Does anyone know what files needed to restore the features of the senate in XGM? for example I want to SPQR and Rome Julii can function again as in Rome 1.5 without scipii and brutii playing as Rome. Is it possible?
    AAhh... i don't have time to make signature.........

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

It takes a huge load of work to restore the roman senate in XGM, you cannot just swap files.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    It takes a huge load of work to restore the roman senate in XGM, you cannot just swap files.
    aaww... i thought it's more simple thing than i expected......is there any tutorial to do it???

I could explain you if you did a bit of modding before.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

I could explain you if you did a bit of modding before.
    Yeah I've some modding that i'm used it for my self before in particullary XGM... i learn lot about what text document influence the game system... like export and description text... but honestly i'm sometime confused about it... I also make lot skin with photoshop and model with cas model in 3Dmax... so what kind modding do u mean???

step 1: open descr_sm_factions.txt and make sure romans_julii is one of the first 3 factions listed and move romans_scipii to slot 4.

step 2: open descr_strat and add superfaction romans_scipii under "romans_julii, comfortable caesar"

step 3: make sure julii and scipii start as allies, so check descr_strat diplomacy settings in the bottom

step 4: now the scipii (roman rebels) will function like vanilla senate, however I'd suggest you to give them Rome and give croton to rebels. Please refer to a good descr_strat tutorial for that

step 5: in XGM/data/text you'll find several text files. Make sure you change the scipii (roman rebels) text references to "senate" or anything you like

Also, make sure you're playing with loyalty off or the civil war will cause CTDs
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

step 1: open descr_sm_factions.txt and make sure romans_julii is one of the first 3 factions listed and move romans_scipii to slot 4.

step 2: open descr_strat and add superfaction romans_scipii under "romans_julii, comfortable caesar"

step 3: make sure julii and scipii start as allies, so check descr_strat diplomacy settings in the bottom

step 4: now the scipii (roman rebels) will function like vanilla senate, however I'd suggest you to give them Rome and give croton to rebels. Please refer to a good descr_strat tutorial for that

step 5: in XGM/data/text you'll find several text files. Make sure you change the scipii (roman rebels) text references to "senate" or anything you like

Also, make sure you're playing with loyalty off or the civil war will cause CTDs
    OK I'll check it and try somethings new in XGM's play rule, maybe that will cured my bored with this game... thanks dude.... viva RTW...

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

Ok I have done ur instructions , it's work so well, but the senate floor doesn't want to show up, do u know how to fix it?? also how to eliminate the loyalty to the culture rome but not eliminate the other ?? tks

Getting the senate floor would require you to rename internally one faction as romans_senate but that's an extremely long and complex job.
    As for loyalty, I think DBH has a trait trigger somewhere that needs to be modified. Him or Suppanut might be more helpful.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

Getting the senate floor would require you to rename internally one faction as romans_senate but that's an extremely long and complex job.
    As for loyalty, I think DBH has a trait trigger somewhere that needs to be modified. Him or Suppanut might be more helpful.
    o yes you are right i just realized that the loyalty depends on the trait modifications in the general

I'm finding the mod very difficult and can't get any campaign off the ground and I'm playing on M\M.
    Tried a campaign with Rome, I actually defeated Pyyrhos on the first try, I sent the army back to Rome to replenish some troops, just for another full stack Greek army to attack Cannea, I re-loaded and recruited some extra troops in Cannea before taking my army away to replenish, this time they attacked but continued the siege instead of attacking immediately (can't even remember how they did it, unless it has no walls, maybe they got a spy in), the idea was that I'd get the main army back and attack the Greek full stack which is mostly militia units anyway, but hold and behold, suddenly a full stack Roman rebels army attacks Capua out of nowhere, and Carthage invade the shores of Italy with a full stack army and then some nearby. Essentially I now had 3 enemy full stacks (technically Carthage is neutral but their intent is clear) on Italy against my one, fairly depleted full stack. Campaign over.

Tried a Greek campaign. Took Corinth with about half a stack which is all I have. Two Macedonian full stacks appear in the north. Campaign over.

Any advice on these campaigns? Or in general, why is it so damn hard on M\M? I mean, I'm up for a challenge but the game throws me against impossible odds in the first couple of turns. Loving everything else in the mod so tis a shame.

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by b_133 View Post
    I'm finding the mod very difficult and can't get any campaign off the ground and I'm playing on M\M.
    Tried a campaign with Rome, I actually defeated Pyyrhos on the first try, I sent the army back to Rome to replenish some troops, just for another full stack Greek army to attack Cannea, I re-loaded and recruited some extra troops in Cannea before taking my army away to replenish, this time they attacked but continued the siege instead of attacking immediately (can't even remember how they did it, unless it has no walls, maybe they got a spy in), the idea was that I'd get the main army back and attack the Greek full stack which is mostly militia units anyway, but hold and behold, suddenly a full stack Roman rebels army attacks Capua out of nowhere, and Carthage invade the shores of Italy with a full stack army and then some nearby. Essentially I now had 3 enemy full stacks (technically Carthage is neutral but their intent is clear) on Italy against my one, fairly depleted full stack. Campaign over.

Tried a Greek campaign. Took Corinth with about half a stack which is all I have. Two Macedonian full stacks appear in the north. Campaign over.

Any advice on these campaigns? Or in general, why is it so damn hard on M\M? I mean, I'm up for a challenge but the game throws me against impossible odds in the first couple of turns. Loving everything else in the mod so tis a shame.
    For your Roman campaign:
    1. Attempt to call a ceasefire with the Independant Gauls to the North. Sometimes this works for me, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I am even able to enter an Alliance with them (little to no clue why it's so random like this).
    2. Take your small northern force with the general to Alesia. It's an easy win and provides a lot of income. You can also use said general to recruit a Barbarian Mercenary unit near Genua that you can take with you, as well as the Town Militia unit from the nearby Roman town and the Nuragic Skirmishers on Corsica.
    3. Defeat Pyrrhus of Epirus. To reduce casualties, attack him from the bottom left hand corner (near the mountains). Be sure to use your Slingers and Velites to make the Elephants route and to kill the Heavy Cavalry (including the General's Bodyguard). I also personally set Decius Mus as my faction heir.
    4. Recruit some Town Militia in your two southernmost cities.

Turn Two

5. Take Sardinia with your army in Alesia.
    6. Replenish your Hastati, Velites, and Slingers at Capua rather than Rome. Use your remaining army to besiege Tarentum (don't worry this is just a feint). Hole up the two mountain passes with Town Militia and continuously retreat with them to keep the Roman Rebel army at bay.
    7. Retreat from Tarentum, the Tarentine army won't attack (yet).

Turn Three

8. Recall your Hastati, Slingers, and Velites to besiege Tarentum again. They will sally and you will have to beat them.

You do the same thing for the Roman Rebels and you are good to go.

For your Greek campaign:
    1. Promote your five star Spartan General to heir.
    2. Put your spy in Corinth.
    3. Use your faction heir to attack Corinth from the top right hand side (near the Isthmus of Corinth). Create 2 Rams and 4 Ladders.
    4. Recruit mercenaries in Crete, Sparta, and Corinth. Have all of your units save the generals in each town join your faction heir (use your ships to get from Crete to Corinth).
    5. Using this army you will easily break the Macedonian army (you have a superior defensive position with the highground and a cliff, and superior units).
    6. The next turn you should be able to auto resolve the taking of Corinth as you will have severely weakened its garrison. I am usually able to destroy the army entirely, allowing me to bypass this.
    7. Use this army to besiege each Macedonian settlement, (which they will in turn try to sally) replenishing it when you can. When you get really good you can use the same army to go all the way to Amphipolis without replenishing it.

That's all you need to know! I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Ancient Aliens; May 07, 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks mate, very helpful!
    I managed to get a Greek campaign off the ground now, I did what you said and with my near full stack have already beaten about 2 and half Macedonian full stacks, won 2 Heroic victories and just took Thebes.

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by b_133 View Post
    Thanks mate, very helpful!
    I managed to get a Greek campaign off the ground now, I did what you said and with my near full stack have already beaten about 2 and half Macedonian full stacks, won 2 Heroic victories and just took Thebes.
    Good job, and it's my pleasure! It's one of the funner campaigns, I'm playing it right now. That first battle is pretty fun. After your Greek and Roman campaigns try the Seleucids and try not to lose a single territory, it's pretty challenging

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

I started playing XGM today, I have a question ... why do the spartan royal guard need 30 turns to recruit ?
    edit: I started a campaign with the Greeks on M/M
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

once your guys finish H/H campaign in XGM feel free to drop by my sub mod and may be who know I can give you download link for it
    it will bring Greek to a new level of challenge
    Empire II and Medieval III pls