Page 12 of 175 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

<<Xristos Anesth>> Epiriot&#33;

I was also away on holiday in Olympia. Things seem to be progressing in all mods, especially EB (there’s a countdown to its first release, and they present the units and info of one faction every week).

As to the XGM, I’ve also started playing it as the Macedonians, but unfortunately haven’t had the time to enjoy it properly... I was also of the opinion that Royal pikemen should have larger shields, but then all pikemen shields would probably have to be changed, and I don’t know what’s the popular consensus (or DimeBagHo’s opinion for that matter) on this issue. I guess it wouldn’t be unbalancing if we retained the same shield stats, but then the stats would be unrealistic...

Do you really think the Seleucids need enriching? They’ve got cataphracts, legionaries, silver shields, chariots, elephants... in short, everything but long range archers.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Hi Epriot. Glad you like the new XGM.

I&#39;d prefer bigger shields as well - but there is no way to fix the problem with the spears going through the shields (which also looks kind of silly) and it would also be a lot of work to change the models for all of the phalanx units.

The Seleucids haven&#39;t benefited much from XGM yet - just the new temples, generals, and so on. I guess the reason is that they already had the most complete selection of units in the game (even better than the Roman seletction in many ways). But, if you have some ideas about what to add I&#39;d like to hear them.

I&#39;ve been busy for the last few days :grin playing XGM on the Mundus Magnus map (using the files that Dennis II provided - they worked well). Mundus Magnus is the new map for EB, and I like it a lot. It looks great, it&#39;s not as cluttered as the RTR map, and the new provinces in Greece, Asia Minor, and the East really make it ideal for playing the Greek factions. It has been a very enjoyable campaign so far.

Unfortunately the combination of XGM and Mundus Magnus does not seem to work with the "make RTW harder" tool. I haven&#39;t figured out what the problem is yet, but hopefully I will.

Wonderland - here are the formation files, if you still need them.

I have released another small update (XGM 2.1.2). You can install this over XGM 2.1.1 if you already have that version installed. You should be able to continue with campaigns started under version 2.1.1 (but not earlier versions).

You can download it here.

You can get the readme here.

The main changes for version 2.1.2 are:

-Added files to integrate Mundus Magnus.
    -Added ancillaries for all Greek temples..
    -Added two new optional Spartan skins.
    -Revised many character trait triggers.
    -Legendary Conqueror requirements reduced.

A number of other small changes and tweaks were also made.

I have been playing with the Mundus Magnus map myself, and it works fine (and is an excellent map for Greek campaigns), but if you want to use it make sure you follow the installation instructions carefully.

The Legendary Conqueror traits are now much easier to obtain. You can now gain the traits even from defensive battles. The odds do not have to be against you - even (1:1) odds will do. A victory against a barbarian faction will count as a victory in Europe. Finally you only need to destroy 70% of the opposing force with 70% of your own force left intact.

All of the Greek temples now have suitable priest and priestess ancillaries, but they are only available to the factions which can build the temples "from scratch". The character traits associated with temples have also been revised to make them more governor friendly.

What do I need to play Mundus Magnus map? I have been trying to download it but I can&#39;t find it.

You can get it here.

Updated Spartans (just cleaned up the texture a little bit).

Thanks meh_cd. I will include this with the next release. In the meantime it anyone wants to use the updated skin I have attached a file with updated installers for meh_cd&#39;s Spartans.

DBH, i really need help. i have dowloaded the Mundus Magnus map, but i cant get the XGM 2.1.2 mod to work&#33; unless you have got rid of hypaspists, but it doesnt work. :crying HELP&#33; :shocked

You have to install each part in the right order, otherwise things will get messed up.

1. Start with RTW + 1.2 patch.
    2. Install Mundus Magnus.
    3. Install XGM
    4. Run the XGM-MM installer (in the extras folder).
    5. Start the Mundus Magnus provincial campaign.

euxaristw poly *wink* .This is one of the best mod for RTW, it&#39;s simple but extremely interesting.It kept me playing with greek faction for 2 weeks, good job....&#33;
    ====> the enemy of my friend is my spy <====
    Marcus Neotorious

I just found this mod and it&#39;s great&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Best mod for Rome I&#39;ve seen yet, but I have a huge problem. I&#39;m not sure if its been cobered yet and there is a way to fix this.

With the large stone wall, when the doors have been broken, they stay broken and I cant fix them. They are not listed on the repair tab and when an army come to siege, they just walk right in. I&#39;ve been trying to fix this by re-installing, but no joy, anyone have any advice? Am I doing somthing wrong. :sad

devine999 - There are two possible causes. One is easy to fix, the other is an unfixable bug in RTW.

If there are spies in your city then they may be holding the gates open. The way to fix that is to move some of your own spies into the city (and move them in and out every turn) to see if they can flush the enemy spies out.

If the bug is causing the problem then there is nothing much that can be done about it. Just make sure you have plenty of hoplites to defend the open gate. *wink*

devine999, I have the same &#39;problem&#39;, although it really isn&#39;t a problem. In fact I&#39;ve found my city of Syracuse is so much easier to defend now that the gates are permanently open.

Do what DimeBagHo suggests, Line up your phalanxes in front of the gate and watch the enemy calvary and infantry literally jump onto your spears. I&#39;ve taken out a thousand strong army and only lost about 10 men using this method. Put archers/skirmishers on your walls ofcourse. With this strategy you won&#39;t need calvary...just use your general to clean up the routing enemy and he&#39;ll be 10-star command in no time.

It&#39;s even better if the enemy has got elephants. Wait until the elephants are at your gates and start concentrating your missiles on them. Hopefully, they should run amok amongst their own men; which is probably the fastest way to dispatch of enemy infantry without using your own.

Although it needs some little brushes <<Mundus Magnus + XGM>> is an expansion by itself. :w00t
    It crushes sometimes. May be is my PC`s fault I don`t know. :erm

The Spartan skin is very good but it looks rusty cause it is all brown. Can you have the same skin with bright red as basic color? :huh

There is a CTD when clicking on the diplomacy tab on the faction scroll, and I did CTD once when I automatically resolved a battle against Macedon. Though they were the only two.

Personally I love the spartan skin...i really didn&#39;t like the red cloak thing...the existing one justifies the strength of a spartan warrior; though is it correct to have the symbol of Macedon on their shields if they are from Sparta?

I&#39;ve had an XGM + MM campaign going for about a week now with only one reload and no CTD&#39;s (had to stop the game to test the last release :>< ). I have seen some serious slow-downs - and I am playing on a *very* grunty machine. So my guess is that the Mundus Magnus map is sometimes a little too much for some machines to handle.

If you can do exactly the same thing after reloading, without a crash, then the problem was just an overload.

@Epiriot - meh_cd did the new Spartan skin - send a PM and ask if a red version would be possible.

*Edit* Maybe there is no need. AnastasioTheGreat has offered to donate his new Spartan skins and models and they have red uniforms and cloaks. You can see them here.

@Octavian&#39;s revolution - Historically the L (looks like an upside down V) was the symbol for Sparta. It stood for Lakedaimonia, the region where Sparta is located. I have no idea why CA decided to use it for Macedonia. One of the things on my to-do list for a future version is to replace the L with the Vergina Sun, which was the historical symbol for Macedonia.

Originally posted by Octavian&#39;s revolution@May 14 2005, 03:35 PM
    though is it correct to have the symbol of Macedon on their shields if they are from Sparta?
    Actually this is not the Macedonian symbol, the Greek lamda is the Spartan Lacademon symbol. This mod is using it correctly. I have no clue why CA decided to use the Lamda for Macedon in RTW. The correct symbol for Macedon should be the star of Vergina.

Cheers

Edit: ****** I was typing at the same time.

I tried bright red Spartans, but they looked too bright, so I watered the color down quite a bit to something that I thought might be a little more representative of the type of color they might obtain with the dyes they had back then.

But yeah, ATG&#39;s Spartans will probably be another choice in the next version - they&#39;ve got a cape and leather armor. Completely different from mine.

So I am not the only one that have a slowdown in the overall map.
    It gives on my nerve when it happens.
    When I click for next turn the problem disappear only to appear randomly.
    I don`t think it is cause i have the option all in highest perfomance.
    Ati9600xt 128MB,P-4-2.4GH,512Ram.

About the Amfitheater. It works about same as the coliseum. The only difference it gives not happiness bonus. It says only <<It allows drama contest>>.