Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Default Re: Discussion and Announcements

With the "new" map, are the number of cities maxed out, or can you still let the Libyan Desert be divided again?

If not does the Libyan Desert have at least one city? I think it probably would have to, or it wouldn't be a territory.
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Dude its maxed out 197 regions to fight over, 2 non capturable and the sea

197 + 2 + 1 = 200 = Game Limit (RTW/BI/Alex/M2TW)

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Dude its maxed out 197 regions to fight over, 2 non capturable and the sea

197 + 2 + 1 = 200 = Game Limit (RTW/BI/Alex/M2TW)

Ok, I'm content

I just noticed that EB has the same area map, but I guess their cities are more spread out?

Forgive me for asking one more question. ^
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Questions are good, don't feel shameful for asking them.

Though I think there are only actually 196 capturable regions, I think there are two sea regions.

Dime,
    I know we talked about it before, but did you ever consider combining Arabia and Libya Deserta?

CV: you could be right, about the two seas.

guys check out this phalanx mod

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94341

maybe we could use this for our hoplite units

what you guys think

Quote Originally Posted by atraps View Post
    guys check out this phalanx mod

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94341

maybe we could use this for our hoplite units

what you guys think
    i really like how the hoplites act in that mod

synthesis's Avatar Civis

Can they hold the spear a little further towards the middle of the spear shaft?

Edit: Actually, I can't tell who's spear is whose in the last pic. I think this does make the spears longer than what they are now though.

Saw this the other day. It's a hoplite reenactment with overhand grip that doesn't involve the butt-end sticking up.
    Last edited by synthesis; April 13, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Is it just me, or is the Roman campaign WAY too dificult? Within like 10-15 turns i was being attacked with full stacks from the Greek Independents, Roman Rebels, and the Carthaginians! And within another 5 turns i was being attacked by Gaul! Was this just a fluke, or does this happen to most people? Defeating the super Greek stack is hard enough the way it is, but there is NO way to beat everything else that is getting sent at me, especially with the small amount of money you produce at the beginning.

I've noticed this before, but does anyone else agree that the Romans start off in too difficult of a situation?

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Depends on what difficulty you play. medium is challenging, but not imposible. As for Pyrhos - he's not that hard, check my guide.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by synthesis View Post
    Can they hold the spear a little further towards the middle of the spear shaft?

Edit: Actually, I can't tell who's spear is whose in the last pic. I think this does make the spears longer than what they are now though.

Saw this the other day. It's a hoplite reenactment with overhand grip that doesn't involve the butt-end sticking up.
    So your saying you dont like it?

p.s.Dime wats your opinion on this Phalanx Mod?

synthesis's Avatar Civis

atraps: Zarax says that the short_pike attribute is bugged. You could always test it out though.
    Σύνθεσις

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo View Post
    Depends on what difficulty you play. medium is challenging, but not imposible. As for Pyrhos - he's not that hard, check my guide.
    Well i usually play on medium, and this was literally impossible. I can take Pyros out, and then the Roman Rebels a little later. But taking on those two, plus Carthage, plus Gaul...there is no physical way to do so without cheating. Carthage literally landed two full stacks smack dab in the middle of the penninsula. And i'm thinking " Ok, atleast i don't have to worry about Gaul." Then BAM! Gaul attacked and i was essentially screwed(if i hadn't cheated)

Slingers are your friends, with one unit of slingers plus a general or unit of equites, you can kill many, many enemies during a sally.

I have a Roman campaign I am playing on Hard/Hard, and fortunately Gaul didn't send anything at me at first, but Carthage did give me a bit of trouble, then I squashed them.

As for money, if you can take Corsica and Sardinia, you shouldn't have any trouble.

DBH:

Will 5.6.8 include the Egyptian re-skins? Or will it be 5.7?

When will it be available for download?

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    Well i usually play on medium, and this was literally impossible. I can take Pyros out, and then the Roman Rebels a little later. But taking on those two, plus Carthage, plus Gaul...there is no physical way to do so without cheating. Carthage literally landed two full stacks smack dab in the middle of the penninsula. And i'm thinking " Ok, atleast i don't have to worry about Gaul." Then BAM! Gaul attacked and i was essentially screwed(if i hadn't cheated)
    Take a look at Kara Kolyo's guide to defeating Pyrrhos. The key to the early Roman campaign is talking low casualties in that battle and using the remainder to unify Southern Italy plus Sicily. You should leave a decent garrison in either Arretium or Ariminum while takeing on Carthage, a half stack should be able to defend against any Gauls, which are also preoccupied taking in the Indies. Once Sicily is Secure, consolidate and moce onto Africa.

synthesis's Avatar Civis

Okay, so are custom battles bugged like I've heard? Even in alex.exe? I've been doing some researching and some tinkering and I want to know how applicable results are from custom battles. I've found some strange preliminary findings.
    Σύνθεσις

the most accurate way to test out units is on Multiplayer (AI is weird and does weird things, so its not accurate on custom battle)

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

@Synthesis - what do you mean by bugged? The prices are not adjusted, but that's because XGM is mainly for campaigns. The different results in custome and campaign battle are most probably because in campaign most unitshave experience and weapons upgrades, wich change the things.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

synthesis's Avatar Civis

It's just what I've read on the forums. They say the AI behaves weirdly, medium difficulty isn't the same as medium battle difficulty in a campaign battle, and other slightly ambiguous stuff as to how observations in custom battles vs. AI don't apply to the campaign.

Does anybody play XGM online? I was wondering about how easy it is to penetrate the wall of pikes on even an elite unit like Argyraspids. They don't like to sit still even when defending which makes me wonder if being in the ready position is a factor. If I have principes charge at their front, they slip right through.

If I switch and take control of the phalanx, the problem is that when the computer engages a phalanx, they never really charge head on. They charge at an angle or at a flank, they issue a move order past the phalanx, or the player issues a move order up to the enemy since it's the best way to keep a solid battleline of pikes. I suppose I could play myself on a LAN...

My strategy seems to have drifted towards using phalangites for only fighting chokepoints, since they aren't very agile and no one wants to fight them from the front. I was hoping to make them more useful again, but at the same time, optimizing how the AI engages them.

On another note, this EDU guide mentions a hidden radius stat. I peaked at a few other mods' EDU file and I can't find an example of it being used intentionally. I tried it with the Greek sacred band in alex.exe at 0.2 and it worked pretty nicely. They fight close together, but spread out as they press into the enemy. They didn't seem to wrap around the unit it was attacking like before, so the formation stayed tight. In comparison to shield wall, they weren't as close together and didn't press away from each other, and also didn't have crazy pushing strength. On the other hand, they became much more powerful. A charge from Scythian cataphracts was still painful, but in melee the sacred band had a huge advantage.
    Σύνθεσις