Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Default Re: Discussion and Announcements

do you remember any CTD in version 4 final (the version which i play now ) ?

DBH, have the Ptolemites been reskinned yet? That was the main thing I wanted to see as of a couple months ago, I know you were working on it...

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

cherryfunk: Not yet. Maraxus is working on it - though he's splitting his time between that and the post-Marius proposals.

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    DBH, have the Ptolemites been reskinned yet? That was the main thing I wanted to see as of a couple months ago, I know you were working on it...
    I've posted my "to do" list in the XGM submod Ptolemaic reform thread. I should be done very soon, I am quite eager to finish! I now have a deep respect for any RTW modders, this stuff isn't as easy as I thought when I started all those eons ago.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

i have a question.....i've often wondered why i can buy mercenary hoplites but not phalangites (i think that's what they are called)? did they not rent out their services? it could apply to mercenary Triarii or swordsmen? any faction really....due to my AAR i am stuck in 5.5.19, i believe.... so i'm not sure if its been adressed or explained....i'm a big fan of the Greek phalanx unit (the look with the feathers).....

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Having phalangites mercs would be historical but at the same time could make the game too easy for non hellenistic factions giving them a pretty good anvil...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

What if there was a merc phalangite unit that was between the militia and regular phalangite? Hardier than the militia but less disciplined than the regulars.

You could also implement something like Diadochi and have Iphikratean Hoplites that are pretty expensive and good troops but not have masses of them available all the time.
    just my $0.02
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Iphicrateans is something I would like to see ix XGM, check the post marian project for details...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

I've released an updated version of XGM Command for 5.6.7, check the sub-mod forum for details and download link.
    Thanks XGMers and have a good weekend!
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Anyone able to advise on how to start well as Thrace? In my last three tries I have been stamped flat by the Indie Celts within 5 - 10 years.

Similar to the Macedonians - gather your available forces and break the Celts as soon as you can. If anyone has battle reports from that phase I'd like to see them - always useful to know whether people find those initial battles too hard or too easy.

I have 3 identical battle reports on Alex M/H - my missile cavalry is chased from the field by Celtic light and heavy cavalry and then a huge line of swordsmen and warband takes the brake off and rolls right over me.

This is what i hope to one day see Gaul do to the Romans (at least once) so I can't complain when it happens to me

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Best tactic is to have a plan of more than one battle

Gather all your forces + hire mercs (the fodder).

Lure the cavalry in make sue they are mauled badly then retire from the field.

Repeat till they are all gone, use the fodder as a screen as necessary then the gallic foot will be at the merc of your light troops peltasts and cavalry

You should not expect to win the first three or so battles against each stack.

Hope fully two out of three stacks will head for Macedon and get themselves wasted there.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

I'll give it a go - I have never tried inflicting damage and then quitting a battle before - thanks Unknown soldier

He who fights and runs away can come back later and do em in while they are asleep.

Yeah I do not like to lose battles but how else do you take out a strong army?

Whittle them down - hurt them and retire. Horde units cannot be rebuilt/retrained.
    Last edited by Unknown Soldier; April 07, 2008 at 11:42 AM.

where must i go for turn off loyalty ? in version 4.2.9 am i able to turn off loyalty ?
    have you seen any problems in the latest version like crashes or no load ?

You can only turn loyalty off in the more recent versions, starting, I think, with 5.5.18 or so.

Laetus

Or if you have the Alexander exe you can play that - loyalty is a feature that is not in that version IIRC.

Loyalty works with the Alex exe, so if you don't want loyalty you still have to switch it off.