Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Default Re: Discussion and Announcements

Quote Originally Posted by Hippias View Post
    Gauls still hold Northern Italy, Indie Greeks are second only to Seleucids (IGCS still hold Tarentum!) - Rome has all Sicily and has landed on Greece to attack Corinth!
    thats just weird! wait until they go post-marius

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

I'm feeling the same way as you Hippias: I'm in the middle of one of the most outstanding games of RTW I've ever had. The AI is performing really well in these latest versions of XGM. Actually doing naval invasions, offering ceasefires at opportune times, etc.

That and all the cool things that are in XGM anyway make for the most fun playing RTW that I've ever had by far.

Under the heading of 'If it aint broke - don't fix it" just like to say that I am playing 5.5.15 - Thrace - M/H - BI exec and having the greatest RTW game ever.
    I'm having a great campaign myself!! so much so that it inspired me to write an AAR....before then, i wasn't very involved in the XGM community....i did however downloaded the 5.5.16 version...and messed around with some factions....has anyone tried playing with Bactria? my game keeps crashing after a few turns....

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

chazap: Is that a saved game from an earlier version that's crashing, or a new campaign? When do the crashes occur? What install options are you using?

DBH: sorry, i should have provided more info...my campaign started with 5.5.14 and i now continue with 5.5.16.....but i was trying a new campaing with Bactria on version 5.5.16 -- it crashes about 277BC at the most i get about 6-10 turns i think. i tried it 3 times..twice it got stuck..once it just booted me out...i tried continuing the game as well, after it crashes, but it wouldn't let me either....i can play fine with Germania, Carthage, and Rome....

this is my favorite info page!!! somebody post something worth reading and/or discussing!!! ....update, i was able to play with Bactria now, but was quickly overruned by TSE........

Quote Originally Posted by chazap View Post
    this is my favorite info page!!! somebody post something worth reading and/or discussing!!! ....update, i was able to play with Bactria now, but was quickly overruned by TSE........
    something rather weird happened in the far east in my campaign. first, parthia was bullying baktria. i asked for parthia's map information and they owned much of the far east. then about 20 years later, parthia is destroyed? :hmmm:
    followed by baktria.

looks like im going to have to whip TSE in line.

Primicerius

For me, Parthia and Baktria were engaged in a fairly even war (surprising as Parthia usually trumps the weak and poor Baktria). Baktria even had all of the Indian provinces plus Gushan, Campus Amyrgicium and took Maracanda or Nisa from Parthia, can't remeber which. But three indian cities rebelled from Baktria to Parthia and Parthia oblitereted them with the three full stacks from those rebellions.

Is it possible for those provinces to rebel to the normal rebels instead of Parthia?

DBH: i noticed this when i downloaded 5.5.16 --- Macedonia was missing the campaign map(new campaigns only)...so i decided to download 5.5.17 and test all factions....when i click on the open faction summary window button, Rome, Carthage, and Greece display their campaign map (albeit Rome's map is small). but all the other factions are missing the campaign map...

Also, i never play short campaing, but they all display hold 15 provinces...is it something i did, or the maps were accidentally left out?

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

They havent been made yet

Thats why you dont see them. The ones that exist now are like that because the campaign objectives are (I think) finalised whereas they might not be for some of the other factions, so there is no point making maps. Also, you cant make a map when all you need to do is "Kill X faction" like some people have to right now.

:hmmm:...so i've seen some talk on names (for generals and captains) for eastern factions, some new anciliary discussions, and even ethnic traits being kicked around.....Does this mean that the next XGM version will have some of these things included (XGM 5.5.18)....or has some been released and i missed it somehow????

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

i think they will be in 5.6 beta. some of the traits are already available for thesting. you can chek the temples thread for download i think

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Some outstanding work being done at the moment by Suppanut and colleagues on traits leads me to ask for clarification on something - if a general has a trait of e.g. '+ 1 when commanding cavalry' does that mean he will only get that + 1 if he is in charge of an entirely cavalry army i.e. if his stack is 10 horse archers and 1 sparabara, does that mean he does not get the bonus?

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

I'm 99% sure its if he only has one unit of cavalry in the army, regardless of what the rest of the units are

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

So any cav unit in the army, but not his bodyguard gives the bonus.
    What do command bonuses do for a human player, if anything, when not auto-resolving?

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

They definately increase your unit morale, and (I think) it might improve their attack and/or defence stats too

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster View Post
    I'm 99% sure its if he only has one unit of cavalry in the army, regardless of what the rest of the units are
    So - extreme example - a German character who gets + 3 for commanding cavalry will get this very important advantage even if his army is 18 axemen and 1 barbarian cavalry? Shame if it does work like this - i hoped the bodyguard would be discounted and every unit in his stack would have to be cavalry/infantry (as the case may be) to get the bonus....

On a totally unrelated matter, having seen alexander total war kicking around in the bargain bins I did a bit of searching the TWC & Org forums to see what people thought of it's modding uses (as XGM can now be played through the exec).

Some mention of better Phalanx behaviour (good), loss of shieldwall (bad) but unless i am going crazy I thought I saw someone say that the AI in Alexander combines it's units into a few large armies, rather than lots of little ones - if this was true then for me nothing else matters and ATW exec would win hands down.......Only problem is I can't find where I saw this comment anymore, so ATW is still in the shop and my £5 is in my pocket unless I get this confirmed :hmmm:

Yes that is true and also the AI will retrain its units, which helps alot also the battlefield AI is also better. However I haven't tried it yet on XGM as I will miss the shieldwall and Hordes.

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Quote Originally Posted by Dom9127 View Post
    Yes that is true and also the AI will retrain its units, which helps alot also the battlefield AI is also better. However I haven't tried it yet on XGM as I will miss the shieldwall and Hordes.
    +1

If you set AI bonuses and don't conquer their capitals, you'll get enough armies coming your way!

Not to mention I have seen Gallic armies combine to form larger stacks, it may happen more frequently in Alexander though...

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Where is Cherryfunk when I need him? Those RS guys seem to know which way is up - have they investigated the Alexander AI?