Page 1 of 175 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Discussion and Announcements

Extended Greek Mod

This mod aims to give the Greek factions the same sort of depth that the Roman factions have in vanilla RTW, to improve historical accuracy, and to improve gameplay. Many new units have been added to the Greek factions, and other factions, along with new buildings, character traits, night battles, named legions, loyalty, and much more. Combat with phalanx based armies has also been made much more challenging. I have tried to stay close to the "look and feel" of vanilla (unmodified) Rome - Total War, so this mod should appeal to people who like vanilla RTW, but who want to play a more developed version of the Greek factions.

You can take a look at the readme here.
    You can download the mod here.

Designed for RTW 1.5 and RTW:BI 1.6. It uses the -mod switch so it does not make any changes to your data directory.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; February 19, 2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: update

Screenshots have been moved here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44187
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; March 25, 2006 at 08:36 PM.

good job, mate :cool
    Ceci est une signature

New version is out - check the "readme" post above.

Intentionally left blank.

You can get the mod in one file now, so I have removed the two part version.

Very goog job.

I can`t recruit Thessalian cavalry from Larissa as Greek Cities

The previous Thessalian cavalry Helmet was more accurate. Just change the body. The previous one was nice but had a strange 8 looking shield!!! I think Thessalian hadn`t any shield at all.

"I can`t recruit Thessalian cavalry from Larissa as Greek Cities"

I just tested the Thessalians. They are recruitable in Larissa with a Royal Cavalry Stables.

If you installed V1.0 over V0.9 then you need to make sure that you delete map.rwn from data\world\maps\base (and data\world\maps\campaign\imperial-campaign\ if it exists there). The reason is that a new hidden resource was added for Larissa, so the game needs to build a new map file.

"The previous Thessalian cavalry Helmet was more accurate. Just change the body. The previous one was nice but had a strange 8 looking shield!!! I think Thessalian hadn`t any shield at all."

Unfortunately I don't have the skills required to change models. I just got 3dMax yesterday, so it will be a while, maybe a long while, before I make any changes to the basic shape of units (like removing shields or changing helmets). In the meantime I have to use models that are already available. If you see another unit (in another mod, or in vanilla) that looks like the right shape (i.e. lance, no shield, right kind of armour) then let me know. I might be able to use that instead.

Glad you liked the mod. Oh, and about the 12 temples thing. You can't build all of the temples from scratch, but you can upgrade any Greek temples that you capture.

Phoebus's Avatar εις οιωνος αριστος...

Dimebag, is there an issue with changing the skins and models for your Athenian and Corinthian Hoplites? For some reason, this change causes the game to CTD during the custom battle loading screen. I've followed what I understand to be the appropriate steps:
    1) Models and textures good to go under Data/models_unit and /textures
    2) Checked to make sure my descr_battle_model file has been adjusted appropriately...

Is there any issue of connectivity between my changing the skin/model and the information kept in the Data/UI file? Sorry about the newbish question but... there you have it.

Phoebus

Models should go into data/models_unit/. Textures should go into data/models_unit/textures/.

Leaving out the UI stuff should cause no problems (other than the obvious cosmetic ones).

Try starting the game with -show_err. When your game CTDs you should get a message telling you what the problem is.

ok forgive me please, Im a hardcore noob and have never got a mod be4. can u break it down for me so it doesnt sound like computer class please?

Leonidas - if you just want to install the mod it is very easy. You just need to unzip it and copy the data folder into your game directory (usually something like "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\".

If you have already played RTW before installing you will also need to go to "Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\data\world\maps\base\" and delete a file called "map.rwn".

I tried over and over the V1.0 and it gets crazier every time. I changed to 0.9 which I like a lot. It is the only mod i play. Are you still trying to improve the mod? Trying to create a new improved one? Give a call :grin as soon as possible when the new one is ready.

Keep the good Job. :lol

Hi Epriot - try starting with a fresh install, and delete the old data folder (the uninstaller will not remove everything). I'm sure the problem is that the V1.0 is getting mixed with files from V0.9. Also, if you still have the old map.rwn file lurking somewhere then that will really mess things up.

Oh, and yes there is a new version on the way. The big changes will be (1) Athenian hoplites eliminated. (2) Hypaspists reworked and re-skinned. (3) Corinthian Hoplites become an elite hypaspist unit.

Mo man
    Don`t eliminate Athenians
    Don`t eliminate Corinthians
    If there was Thebes in the RTW map i would say add Theban Sacred band but you now will remove Athenian and Corinthian. It is a Greek mod remember?
    This is my opininon

As for 1.0 i tried it with a fresh copy twice and deletem map.rwn. But some odd things happen. Anyway i liked 0,9 better and prefer it .

The Corinthians will still be there, with the same skin. It's just their function that has changed a bit (not much actually - with their high sword attack they were wasted as phalanx troops anyway). I would like to have some sort of elite unit for Athens as well, but having another elite hoplite unit was redundant, and the current skin just didn't fit very well with the vanilla skins.

A couple of ideas I am toying with are, an elite Athenian naval unit (perhaps eqivalent to the corvus), and an elite artillery unit for Syracuse.

Could you describe the problems you are having? I might be able to figure out what is going on.

Here's a screenshot of the new hypaspists in action. I swiped the shield from the old Athenian skin.

ok ill try it out
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by blood and iron."
    -Otto Von Bismarck

ok i have finally got this working and i must say that it is awesome. this mod is straight up incredible. looking forward to the next version of it.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by blood and iron."
    -Otto Von Bismarck

Yes true. Only hoplites but that was the Greek-Fighting style. What makes people to make new skins mostly for Greeks is the hoplite uniforms. In my eyes i can`t imagine a cooler uniform in that period. You can choose your helmet, your colors, your shiled, your banner everything.
    As for the game RTW it gets a little boring cause afterall most Greek are Hoplites. Spartan, Athenian, Corinthian, Theban all hoplite.

About the helmet. I believe only Spartan high ranking officers were using the kind the new Athenian you have.In red,black varietion. Athenian had the normal one like the RTW hoplite`s helmet. It is wrong to put that kind of helmet in any other than Spartan officers. For the sake of historical accuracy. In the mod use it freely cause it looks cool.

About any Greek swordsmen (a pure one) ? Will there be one?

Ok i think i managed to make it work.V1.0.

Another one who i think is Athenian.