Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / SCOTLAND

Default Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / SCOTLAND

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
    Great work, but excuse me for doing some critiquing. I was the adviser to a number of mods, which unfortunately were canceled because of their ambitious scope.

I was the adviser for the Scottish, along with a professor in Gaelic warfare in the period surrounding this time.

The skins are great, but I'm afraid the Scottish nobles in particular have a few glaring inaccuracies for several reasons:
    1) They have kilts; kilts did not appear in Scotland until the 16th century earliest. Before that, people wore a sort of tunic with trews, sort of like tights but a bit more loose.
    If you're looking for some color, keep in mind armor consisted of padded coats dyed in green, faded red, browns, and some faded yellow color as well.

2) By the time of the Vikings, Beserkers based on the Picitsh model you've adopted had ceased to exist. By this time, Alba's inhabitants were Christian, and had dispensed with such a pagan martial ritual.

You did well with the archers though, that's how I imagine they'd look, however, by this time, the Scots had adopted the Longbow from the Welsh, and used it quite a bit.

What's more, they were beginning to adopt Anglo Saxon and even Continental ways of fighting, Flemish immigrants came over around this period as well.
    The Scots also had adopted a technique of long spearmen in formation flanked by axemen.

Your skins/models are very nice, but they differ with the reality of how it was. I'd say they're colorful, for sure, but I'd also try to eliminate that "team color" effect it's presenting. For one thing, team colors didn't exist like that in real life, and secondly, it sort of detracts from the overall presentation.

But very good job from a technical standpoint.

At this point in time, in the Viking Age, Scotland did not really exist as a unified entity. There were still the Picts to deal with, as well as the Norsemen who had to be integrated into Scotland after they settled the Orkneys.

I'm not sure what the national flag would be, considering a nation at this point was simply the leading kingdom in the area. That said, there were the Dal Raidans who had the Red Hand of Ulster, a Red Hand painted on their banner, that certainly could be used as well.

But yeah, so far, this is a stellar effort, and it hits home on a few areas, but overall, I think some overhauling needs to be done for Alba because there are some pretty blatant inaccuracies.
    Historical Accuracy < Fun

If we were trying to be historically accurate, we wouldn't play this game, as it provides for many historically inaccurate scenarios. It's just a game, and a fun one at that - I think the character models, while not necessarily 100% accurate, are excellent and pleasing to look at. Keep up the good work, Danova.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

For a first release, sure its fun, but in future releases maybe make it a bit more historical if you guys feel like it. Maybe in a future release, separate Scots and Picts into 2 factions and some of the other things some people here have said.

But for the first release, can there be a crossbow armed unit for Scots? Maybe some Pictish mercenaries.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Will there be any Pictish Crossbowman unit in the release? The Picts had no lack in missile units you know, this would better suit I think:

Strength:
    Good mix of infantry, cavalry and missile units including Crossbowmen

Weakness:
    Begins the campaign with little heavy units, and must progress quickly to recruit them.

Also please have some H shaped shields. Apart from that, its very good mate.
    Last edited by Horsa; July 05, 2009 at 09:14 AM.

Top notch work guys, can't wait!

Freeeeeedommmmm!!
    This is amazing.
    Especially the Berserkers!

Damn awesome i love the design of the Celtic warriors.

Logue's Avatar Semisalis

Outstanding work, are there any plans for armoured upgrades of the units?

There aren't any for the time being, but it could be added in the future

Rafael_Brasil's Avatar Biarchus

Oh my god i m so animated with this mod !!

Luigi_Time!'s Avatar Libertus

Go Scotland! Down with the Saxon dogs!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Kingdom of Alba
    Celtic culture

The Kingdom of Alba has only recently emerged as a unified realm, uniting Scots, Picts, Welsh and even Angles. Under the vigorous leadership of Cináed mac Ailpín (Kenneth Mac Alpin), the Scottish kingdom will have to struggle for survival against a sea of foes.
    Not to belittle the work of the modders because the factions and units look amazing, but as a Scot I feel I should point out that it was just the Scots and Picts that contributed to the formation of Scotland. No Welsh and arguably no Angles. I think by Welsh you mean Britons from England who had migrated to Scotland because of the influx of Germanic immigrants to England.

Last edited by TheXand; August 03, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

...it is not happened it could only happen...
    (and it is only a mod and a desc. text.)

btw, thanks mate!

just great

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

i thought the Ridire Cav unit was for munster?? why would they be for scotland?

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As i know, the "ridire" word means rider in celtic. ... and we made unit for culture not for every factions.
    We put the 13 factions under „Cultures”. So now 6 cultures are created in the game. For exaple Denmark, Hordaland, Vestfold and the early Norman belong to the viking culture. The unit list and the appearance of these are almost the same but there are some differences and factions have some unique units. This is the way we tried to decrease the number of units although we still need almost hundred more units. The shields, arms, models of captains and generals, and skins are variated by cultures.

As i know, the "ridire" word means rider in celtic. ... and we made unit for culture not for every factions.
    ah ok fair enough, its just that the armoured 'ridire' were a kind of knightly class in ireland, i dont know if there was an equivilant group in scotland. i would have thought the Ridire would have been a more uniquely irish unit

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    ah ok fair enough, its just that the armoured 'ridire' were a kind of knightly class in ireland, i dont know if there was an equivilant group in scotland. i would have thought the Ridire would have been a more uniquely irish unit
    Y'know I'm sure that the Picts were actually pretty renowned for their cavalry. Not sure tbh, and I've even less knowledge of Irish cavalry of the era but I would have guessed that the Irish and Scots would have been on a par and very similar in terms of cavalry and it's organisation, though the Scots are obviously more famed for their extremely aggressive infantry.

The Picts (and the Scots) had good cavalry, even some relatively heavy cavalry, in this period, as did the Britons, but the Irish were mainly using light cavalry (which is really in line with their overall style given that their infantry was mostly light infantry as well).

The Irish may have had heavy cavalry as well, but it wasn't really until later that they were widespread.

Also, for sake of keeping different armies unique, we tended to lean away from heavy units for the Irish in keeping them with a unique style.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    The Picts (and the Scots) had good cavalry, even some relatively heavy cavalry, in this period, as did the Britons, but the Irish were mainly using light cavalry (which is really in line with their overall style given that their infantry was mostly light infantry as well).

The Irish may have had heavy cavalry as well, but it wasn't really until later that they were widespread.

Also, for sake of keeping different armies unique, we tended to lean away from heavy units for the Irish in keeping them with a unique style.
    Woooo Skirmishers!

well i know the irish were not well know for their heavy cav, which is exactly my point, because the heavy cav they DID have, eg the 'Ridire' (which was the closest medieval Gaelic tribes/kingdoms had to a knightly caste/class) were rare, and as such i would have thought they'd be unique to the irish, they existed mainly in munster, they got their chain/scale mail from the viking towns of limerick and cork, which, after brian boru, were under the control of munster kings.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast