Thread: V. AAR Competition - Nominations

Icon1 V. AAR Competition - Nominations

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"November" from the Très Riches Heures: This is the only calendar image executed by Colombe; the Limbourgs painted only the zodiacal tympanum above it. The picture shows the autumn acorn harvest, with a peasant knocking down throwing sticks to knock down the acorns on which his pigs are feeding.

Can't stop this tournament rollin'...

Nominate AARs in this thread to for the V. AAR Competition.
    Eligibility: 2 updates in November.

Give the following info:

Title (as link)
    Faction:
    Difficulty:
    Description (keep it short):
    Teaser: (optional; a short excerpt in a spoiler with max. 3 big pictures)

Read the rules here.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: V. AAR Competition - Nominations

The last hope...

This AAR will be based on SS 6.1 late campaign and it will be
    about the last Roman attempts to restore their former Empire...

AAR in detail...
    Campaign:Late.
    Dificulty:Hard/Hard.

Teaser:

The last remaining Romans fight each time battles with no option of defeat!Read the hopeless attempts to restore the most glorius of the Empires!
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 10, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: mod info out, picture put in spoiler
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

THE REPUBLIC OF CARTHAGE

Faction: Carthage
    Game
    : Rome Total War
    Mod: XGM Diadochi
    Difficulty: H/H
    Description: In this campaign you will follow the story of Carthaginian general Hanno and his orders to unite the African lands. Then he will march on to face any opponents Carthage has.
    This AAR is heavily based upon edited pictures with easy to read story telling.

Teaser:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Last edited by rogergargantua; November 10, 2008 at 03:18 PM.

The Legacy of Megas Alexandros

Faction: Seleucid Empire - Arche Seleukeia
    Difficulty: Medium/Medium
    Description:
    This AAR tries to describe episodes from the protagonists' lives in a colourful way. While these episodes initially seem separate, I'm aiming at creating a coherent story along the struggle of Seleukos' descendants, involving several developing characters.
    Teaser:
    The november-updates focus on internal struggles that ensue while the King is away from the country, as his rule is no longer uncontested...

Chapter 23: Uninvited Guests

Late afternoon's sun follows the path of the mountain's slope, bathing the small valley with soft light. A few clouds travel across the blue dome spanning above.
    A small column of smoke ascends from a fire over which a Bezoar Ibex, a wild goat, is roasting on a spit. The hunters, a hand full of young men, have erected some tents and have gathered around the fireplace, their horses grazing nearby.
    The men are relaxing from the travails of the day, joking together and laughing, while they are waiting for their meal, the smell of which is in the air.
    In the distance the sound of horses' hooves comes up the valley and one of the men with knitted brows attests: "We're getting company."
    He stands up, grasping his sword belt and fastening it around his waist. The others fall silent, while watching two dozens of horsemen coming along the trail. One half of them is wearing heavy armor in fashion of the Hetairoi, while the other half are light troopers of the Galatoi, fierce warriors who by now live in central Asia Mikra for a generation and serve in the seleucid armies in significant numbers. The newcomers slow down and spread out over the glade.
    Another of the young men struggles to his feet. "Stand aside, Gorgias, I guess they are here for me."
    Kallinikos leaves the circle of his companions and addresses the one mounted stranger who has separated from the others, leading his horse in slow pace ahead.
    "What is this about?" - "The Satrapes requests your immediate presence at Ipsos." declares the horseman.
    "Well, then tell Apollonides I will come to see him as soon as I deem it fit." Kallinikos replies sharply and starts to turn back to the fire, as his interlocutor speaks up. "Obviously I didn't make myself clear adequately. You are to accompany me now."
    The prince is struck with awe, as he hears the cold, unapologetic voice. "You... you do know who I am, don't you?" he demands incredulously.
    "I well do," retorts the stranger confidently. "I come by order of the Satrap Apollonides Damaskenos who answers exclusively to the Basileus himself. You do not possess any authority over me and as long as you sojourn in the Satrapy of Phrygia - which you do now - you are bound to the orders of the Satrap. So, will you be so kind to mount your horse and follow me or do I need to make you do?"
    Kallinikos helplessly and stunned with disbelief shakes his head, but then straightens himself.
    "I decided to meet your master, but he... he'll better have a good explanation for this... this insolence!"

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

La Couronne de Charlemagne - French SS AAR

Difficulty : VH campaign, H battle
    Mod : Stainless Steel 6.1 + Real Recruitment and a few minor personal modifications

In this AAR i am trying to write a story of the Kings of France attempting to reform the old caroligian empire of Charlemagne meaning securing france and advancing east into germany and italy. I include pictures of the empire and highlights of battles and do my best to describe some of the campaigns stranger occurences into the story.

Here is one of my chapters - pictures. I hope you read and enjoy

Click to view content: 

6 - Imperial Crusade (1127 - 1133)

As the Holy Roman Emperor ignored all of the pope's warnings against going to war with Poland the Emperor had been Excommunicated, as this seemed not to deter him the pope had no choice but to call a crusade on the Imperial capital of Frankfurt.

Not wanting to waste another opportunity Robert Plantagenets at once asked for the King's permission to embark on this holy journey. With the Kings approval he started at once recruiting the help of roaming mercenaries, no more would he be beaten to the glory while waiting for the crusading troops to come to him. He enlisted the help of large crusading forces and at once set forth from Caen, past Paris and Rheims on his way to Frankfurt.

In 1129 word came that the Hungarians and Danes were also joining the crusade so time was of the essence and Robert urged his troops on as reports from french agents came that a large danish army was descending from Hamburg while the Hungarian forces were held up at Nuremberg. Robert arrived at Frankfurt just a day in advance of the Danish troops and set about the ordering of the seige. Meeting with the Danish general it was agreed that the French army would be the first to undertake the city and while this displeased the Danish general, the Alliance formed years ago by Royal Wedding held.

One Summer night in 1131 the assault was finally called as French crusading spearmen rushed to the walls with ladders as pilgrims pushed a ram towards the gate.

The Imperial troops led by the brilliant general Deitrich von Sachsen however sallied forth as the pilgrims reached the gates killing many of them. The crusading foot knights were sent into the breach to push the Imperial forces back while on the walls the crusding troops slowly hacked their way through the wall defenders. After an hour of fighting, the gatehouse finally fell as all Imperial forces retreated to the town center.

The crusader Infantry marched up the main thoroughfare of the city as the cavalry led by Robert himself circled around the town picking off isolated imperial troops before throwing themselves into the rear of the imperial troops defending the town square.

Deitrich charged forwards into the oncoming forces and took down many brave french crusader souls before he too was unhorsed and killed. The rest of his garrisson seeing their leader dead then dropped their weapons and surrendered hoping that Robert renowned for his chivalry would spare them. Seeing they were only militia and peasant troops roped into service by their lords he granted them their lives and released them. Only a handful decided to go east to rejoin the Imperial ranks as most stayed behind In Frankfurt.

The excommunication and Crusade on the Empire had weakened its hold on the population who in most cases remained very pious and were conflicted between their duties to god and their duties to their feudal masters. To the north a revolt had occurred in the town of Cologne where a much dreaded Imperial general Helwig Felden put down the rebellion killing many of the faithful inhabitants.

Word came from the Council of Nobles that this could not be allowed to happen and they called for the liberation of Cologne from Imperial tyranny. The pope supported this move and so having barely had a week to rest, Robert was sent north to lay seige to Cologne.

The fight broke out once again at night as under the cover of darkness the french troops ran towards the walls scalling them with ladders in several different areas. The surprised defenders rang the alarm and were quick to the walls to attempt to expel the french troops. As the fight went on the Imperial troops started to lose the battle atop the walls, they however mostly fought to the death as none dared turn his back to the enemy as certain death was promised by general Felden to any Imperial troops who retreated without orders.

Felden did have an advantage however, just as the French were about to capture the walls he let fire his catapult batteries scattered among the streets of Cologne. This fire took the French troops by surprise as Felden fired into his own walls knocking down parts thereby killing the French warriors upon it.

Many of these fireballs missed and started several fires within the town but Felden was unconcerned as long as the French were pushed back out of the walls.

The gatehouse did however fall and Robert came charging in through the gates charging through the streets destroying many of the catapults and their crews. The French infantry had finally managed to clear the walls of Imperial soldiers and were now starting to move up through the streets.
    The French mounted crusader knights rode up through the eastern part of the town taking out the remaining artillery, they were however ambushed by Felden himself and being cut off from reinforcements fought bitterly against Felden who seemed invincible in his berserking frenzy. He was however cut down after taking many blows, his attack having all but decimated the French cavalry. Robert and the infantry had in the meantime reached the city square and thought the last remnants of the garrisson there which all went down to the death.
    Robert led his troops in a cheer for the victory of God and the fall of such a dreaded general. The local population took to the streets welcoming the French army. Celebrations were however cut short as the fires lit by Felden were growing fast among the wooden houses of the town.

By dawn, most of the fires had been put out however the town was largely destroyed. While some citizens remained, many others moved to neighbouring settlements and the old Imperial city of Aix-la-Chapelle became the dominant city in the region.

King Phillipe himself rode to aix and upon reaching the Palatine chapel built by Charlemagne fell to his knees at the sight of the old Capital of the Caroligian Empire. He entered the church and uttered a prayer in thanks of god to have been able to enter the church within which the remains of Charlemagne were buried and vowed to bring the town once again to the centre of France.

An emmissary was sent to Nuremberg to call for a ceasefire with the Empire which was now limited to little more than its Austrian holdings following the fall of Magdeburg and Prague to the Poles. Freisland was at that moment being beseiged by the Danes. The Emperor called for peace at any price and agreed to a ceasefire giving over sovereignty of Stauffen castle to King Phillipe. The King agreed and re-established trade between the two nations.

Back on the Atlantic coast a Portuguese fleet had blockaded Rennes harbour. This fleet was quickly dispatched by the Atlantic Fleet led by Admiral Michel but war it seemed had erupted between France and Portugal.

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 10, 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: hyperlinked
    Its not the one with youre name on it, its the one addressed to whom this may concern you have to worry about

The Most Serene Republic - Genoa AAR (SS)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183877

La Couronne de Charlemagne - French AAR (SS)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199284

Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration

Faction: Aedui
    Difficulty: M/M
    Description: A tragic story of love and loyalty, of treachery and deceit, of one man's quest to stay true to himself--against all odds. . .

Chapter X: Consequences

The slaughter continued until nightfall and after darkness descended upon the small village I could hear the screams of the village women. I didn’t even want to imagine what was happening to them.
    The young woman lay huddled in the corner of the hut we had taken refuge in, curled upon her cloak. She wasn’t asleep.
    Who would be?
    I crouched there by the door all night, my sword clenched in my fist. Once or twice I heard footsteps approach, but no one entered. No one tried to harm us. I must have dozed off in the wee hours of the morning, for I awoke to hear her scream.
    For a moment, I thought someone had slipped by my guard and I sprung to my feet, ready to go to her aid. My bloodshot eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness and I could see more clearly. We were alone.
    She was sitting bolt upright, her body shaking uncontrollably. Muffled sobs escaped her lips. A nightmare. Clearly reliving some of the moments of the previous day. I sheathed my sword and went over to her, gently wrapping my arms around her thin form. She didn’t react to my presence at first, but I could feel her body slowly relax.
    “Shhh. . .” I whispered, speaking gently, soothingly, as I would have to a little child. It didn’t matter that I had no idea how to speak her language. Some things are universal.

When next I awoke, the sun was shining through the door of the small hut. Motioning to the girl to stay where she was, I left the hut. Viewed in the light of morning, the devastation was even more terrible. Flies were beginning to gather on the corpses strewn everywhere. The villagers had been massacred.
    I found Tancogeistla and the Brihentin on the edge of town, gathering the rest of the troops from their looting. Tancogeistla was still clearly under the influence of his drink and was cursing at the troops as they staggered into formation.
    Cavarillos was standing on the edge of the group, arms folded across his brawny chest. He smiled at my approach, his mercurial temperament once again asserting itself.
    “Sleep well?” There was something suggestive in his tones. I shook my head, knowing what he meant.
    “Where is she?”
    “In the village,” I replied. “I am going back for her.”
    “Why not leave her here?” he asked, clearly baiting me. I didn’t like the look in his eye, the way he glanced over at Tancogeistla.
    “You left no one else alive,” I shot back angrily. “There is nothing left for her here.”
    “That’s not entirely true,” he retorted, amusement in his tones. He was always amused whenever I showed anger. “We left a few of the women alive, but—I’m afraid they didn’t last the night.”
    I turned away, sickened by his humor. “You had better hurry,” he instructed, still laughing. “One of the village men agreed to show us the way north. We will be moving soon.”

I went back to the hut where I had spent the night and collected the few things that belonged to me. The young woman I had rescued sat motionless in the corner of the hut, her knees tucked up under her chin, eyes staring straight ahead. She didn’t even seem to notice my movements.
    There was no way I could leave her here. It wouldn’t be safe. I wasn’t sure taking her with me would be much safer, but I was beginning to feel a strange attachment to her, despite her aloofness, despite the barrier of her alien tongue.
    By use of signs, I gradually managed to make her understand that we were departing, that I wanted her to go with me.
    We picked our way through the ruins of her village, past the distended corpses of those that had been her friends and family members. I didn’t wonder at her distance from me. I had saved her life, that much was true—but everything she had ever known had been destroyed by my people. The noble warriors of the Aedui.
    I spat bitterly into the dust. There was nothing noble about this, any more than the fight at Ictis. Slaughter. Massacre. We had been in the position of might, and we had never even stopped to question whether the butchery was right.
    She and I caught up with the column just as it was marching out. I spotted several of the men leering at the girl as we hurried past them to where Cavarillos was marching. Clearly Tancogeistla was not the only one drunk on this morning.
    Our guide, as Cavarillos had sarcastically termed the prisoner, was mounted on a horse up with the Brihentin. Maybe he knew the way, maybe he was just trying to save his own life. An atmosphere of butchery is a strange one in which to accurately judge a man’s motives.
    We marched for several hours, each step carrying us farther into country covered with rolling meadows of tall grass bordered by dense woods. The girl kept pace at my side, her face stoic. Each step carrying her farther from what she had known as her home. . .

Milk-white clouds drifted lazily across the sky, sunshine peeking between them. There was a slight chill in the air, but we hadn’t yet seen snow. And it was quiet. Almost too quiet, the silence broken only by the step of marching feet. And Tancogeistla’s drunken singing.
    All at once the girl plucked at my arm. I turned suddenly, having almost forgotten that she was there. She was gesturing wildly, apparently trying make me understand something. A stream of unintelligible words came rushing from her mouth. I grasped her by both shoulders and tried to settle her down. Cavarillos had fallen out of column beside me.
    “If she can’t keep up, you will have to kill her,” he stated coldly. “We can’t leave her to give word of our presence to the Dumnones. And we can’t slow down the march just so you can have the pleasure of her company, Cadwalador.”
    I turned, angry, but the words died on my lips. I looked forward to Tancogeistla and the Brihentin, saw the prisoner suddenly jerk his bridle from the grasp of one of the nobles, digging his heels into the side of his mount. The horse leaped forward, carrying him away from his captors with a single bound. It was a signal. Men emerged from the woods on our left, from the tall grass on our right.

The girl had been trying to warn me, something she had seen, something she had known. Cavarillos let out an angry curse, seeing the same thing I had seen. The battle standards of the Dumnones.
    Our pursuers had caught up with us.
    “What now?” I asked. Even with my recent mistrust of Cavarillos, he was a veteran. I would follow his advice. In this.
    He snorted, calling to his fellow mercenaries. “Now, Cadwalador, we do what we should have done in the beginning at Ictis. We run.” He sensed my hesitation and struck me angrily, shouting, “Leave the wench and run, brother! Now!”

(Sorry, no picture of the girl)
    I ignored him, reaching out as she took my hand. I had risked my life for her already. What was once more?
    Our enemy was closing in on us from three sides. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Tancogeistla charge into the midst of the Dumnones, leading the Brihentin in a display of foolhardy bravery. I didn’t stay to watch the results, I had too many problems of my own to worry about. The path Cavarillos had taken was the only left to me. I took my javelins in my hand, leading her toward the gap.
    Several of the Dumnones rushed towards me in an attempt to cut us off. I let go of her hand, drawing back the javelin until it was well back of my head, balanced in my hand.
    Now! The shaft flew from my hand, flying straight as an arrow. It caught the enemy spearman in the left thigh, sinking deep into his flesh and twisting. He screamed in pain and went down. My second javelin found a resting place in the belly of his comrade. There was one more.
    My shield was still strapped to my back. I had no time to remove it, but instead jerked my longsword from its scabbard with a quick motion, confronting the warrior. He feinted toward me with his spear, drawing blood before I could knock the shaft away. He countered my blow with his shield, nearly trapping my blade as it bit deep into the wood.
    He hit me a glancing blow with the edge of his shield, taking me off-balance. His spear gouged a path along my ribs and I went down to the ground, hard.
    I saw the same look in his eyes I had seen at Ictis. That look of triumph the moment before a kill. I rolled over on the ground, reaching for my lost sword, knowing in my heart I could never reach it in time.
    I heard a scream at that moment, a woman’s high-pitched scream resounding loud above the sounds of death all around me. My fingers closed around the hilt of the longsword and I looked back towards my antagonist.
    He was holding his shield up to protect his face and as I looked beyond him, I saw the reason why. The girl stood not five feet from us, holding one of my javelins in her hand. She had screamed to get his attention.
    The weapon looked strangely out of place in her small hands, but I didn’t stop to think about it. I rolled to my feet, the blade in my hand. He heard me coming, started to turn. . .
    I didn’t give him a chance. All was fair now. It was a fight for survival. My blade sank into his side between his second and third ribs, driving into his body up to the hilt. He screamed, life leaving him as he crumpled into the tall grass.
    I wiped the bloody blade on my trousers, motioning for the girl to join me. There was no time to thank her for saving my life. The Dumnones were closing in on all sides.

All around me our men were fleeing. Men once so brave in the slaughter of the villagers, now fleeing like rabbits. The Brihentin had been massacred, pinned in after Tancogeistla’s reckless, drunken charge.
    We were defeated, not by our enemy solely, but by our own general. Wine was a mocker. And perhaps Cavarillos was right. . .

Last edited by Theodotos I; November 13, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
    Son of PW

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Sparta Against the World

Mod: Roma Surrectum
    Faction: Greek Cities
    Difficulty: H/H

Description: My 4th AAR and my 1st forray into RTW ones. I shall be using the Greek Cities to represent Sparta. Basically, I will sit around for a long time and play it as an "observer" AAR, with a comic touch. Then, once we're at a stage where the AI has developed into superpowers, I shall attempt to win the game. Outnumbered, outgunned, and outfinanced (yes yes, the third one sucked), just as a Spartan would want to be.

Teaser:

Narrator: Ofcourse, elsewhere they were still pretty confused.

Roman: I'M CONFUSED!
    Carthaginian: JUST PISS OFF!
    Roman: Aww.. please just give me a hug?
    Carthaginian: No! I've got better things to worry about.
    Roman: Like what?
    Carthaginian: Like what happened to our blokes on the place just south of here.

Crescent Carthaginian: ALL OBEY THE HYPNOCRESCENT!
    Roman: Wtf...
    Carthaginian: See my point?

Narrator: Meanwhile, Syracuse decided to take vengeance for Malta.

*OVERKILL*

Carthaginian: Why the heck did you start this thing?
    Syracuse: What? You started it!
    Carthaginian: No, you started it!
    Syracuse: No! You started it, you invaded Poland!
    Carthaginian: Wait... what the hell is Poland?
    Syracuse: I.. don't know...
    Last edited by Musthavename; November 25, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Rising Stars: A Roman Campaign

Author: [user]Redolegna[/user]
    Faction: Roman
    Difficulty: H/VH
    Description: One of the newest and most promising AARs on the board. It will be interesting to see what Redolegna has in store for us in the future. Right now, victory hangs in the balance. . .

Update 2:
    At first, Pyrrhus, never the one for defending patiently, tested the Roman resolve by launching a cavalry assault on the left flank with his mounted skirmishers and part of his deadly heavy cavalry.
    On the right flank, Tiberius Maxentius shrugged. His able tribunes were clever enough to counter with the triarii under their command. The brave velites stood their ground until they could feel the breath of the mounts of the Greek horsemen on their faces, then quickly retreated behind the spear-wielders. A few of them were killed in the ensuing confusion but the situation quickly stabilized.

Tiberius was not particularly happy, though. His line was held at bay by the skirmishers while the elephants closed fast on the Roman left.
    To ensure that his flank did not collapse so soon, the Consul dispatched a rider to the two alae of equites which were waiting on the left, ordering them to drive the mounted skirmishers out of the battlefield.
    With this threat removed and the Greek heavy cavalry in flight, the triarii were free to check the advance of the elephants. It was not a rosy prospect but no one turned his back and the veterans all rushed forward to meet with this beastly enemy. Behind them, the velites were reforming a line and threw their missiles with a vengeance on the elephants.

Far from the left flank, one ala managed to catch up with the skirmishers and punched right though the enemy formation. No quarter was given, as the horsemen had seen too many of their fellow riders fell during the lengthy pursuit.
    Pyrrhus mistakenly thought that he had inflicted the killing blow to the Roman left flank and his line moved forward, ready to crush the legion for good. Was it too soon? Or too late? Just as the triarii were despairing, the few remaining elephants ran back to the Epirotes, mad with pain. For good measure, the triarii made sure that the fallen monsters were dead. A lot of them suffered from grisly wounds and most had been gutted by the tusks but they went on, grim and determined.
    The Consul smiled. Most of the King’s cavalry had been wasted on his first attack and it had failed. Now, the Romans were the one who could flank their adversary and he intended to do precisely just that. Two maniples of triarii surged forward to meet with the remaining cavalry and remove that danger. Behind them, the velites prepared themselves for action against the advancing phalanxes.
    The latter met some trouble on the Roman left flank where the velites unleashed their fury and sent thousands of projectiles upon them. When at last the hoplites met with the Roman line, they had been severely weakened and lacked a bit in resolution.
    However, it was obvious that the few surviving triarii had no chance against a foe with longer spears and greater numbers. To improve the odds, the velites charged fearlessly into the fray. They knew they faced death and it did not deter them anymore than it had the triarii before them.
    Tiberius Maxentius had high hopes for the issue of the fight. His forces were easily winning on the right flank, overpowering cavalry first, then the best of the phalanxes. It was this moment that King Pyrrhus chose to strike. With agonizing speed, he charged the triarii on the left and routed them almost effortlessly. A hastati maniple, which had joined the veterans to relieve the pressure exerted on them soon followed.

Here was the turning point, Maxentius thought as he galloped towards his left flank. If Pyrrhus stopped the chase and trapped the maniples fighting the phalanxes by hitting their backs, the whole Roman line would break. The right flank would be the only one standing and would quickly crumble. He fervently prayed that the Epirote King did not realize his mistake before it was too late.
    Fortunately, battlefever had descended upon Pyrrhus. He did not think, he did not stop, such was his joy of defeating his enemy. He was too far from his men when he realized that an ala, a maniple and the Consul himself were on him. This motley fraction of the legion quickly killed him as he was trying to disengage from the velites he had been slaughtering.
    Roma had prevailed. The Consul felt overjoyous. The she-wolf had cut the lion’s jugular and it was now just a matter of minutes before the surrounded and outnumbered phalanxes collapsed and routed.
    For a passing while, the killing stopped. Tiberius Maxentius was holding tight on the reins of his stallion. The poor beast was exhausted and the consul was quite weary himself. He stroked his neck, then dismounted and patted his nose. The mount nuzzled his hair with delight, his flanks lathered with sweat.

Maxentius was feeling a powerful sense of relief. He had not once feared for his life, neither in battle nor in his everyday life. But he had been frightened that, should he fail, King Pyrrhus would seize the opportunity and march on Roma. Now this concern was far from him. The mighty elephants had all fallen of exhaustion and his legionaries were putting them out of their misery. The Epirote monarch was lying somewhere among the many dead.
    Most of all, the victorious general was feeling lucky. The sky was now clouded but he could guess that the city of Taras was near. Behind its walls, another Epirote force was stationed. Maxentius shivered. He had taken the biggest gamble of his life in challenging the King so close to possible reinforcements. But he had banked on the fact that Pyrrhus was as proud as he was good in battle. He had rushed to meet his Roman foe and had unknowingly forfeited his life.

The consul smiled. Despite the losses, it was a good day. He, of all people, had defeated the Hellenic King. Who would have thought it was even likely? He had showed those arrogant, stiff-necked, nose-wrinkling pricks sitting in the Senate! He was of plebeian descent but he had won a battle that the patricians who boasted of their ancestors would not have dreamed of initiating.
    He spun on his heel and looked south. Here lay Tarentum. It had to be punished so that everyone in Italy would know that Roma did not tolerate enemy forces just a few hundred miles from her. With so many defenders left, it would be a lengthy siege but, just for the moment, he enjoyed the idea of sitting down for a long time, overseeing the work of the engineers.

And then, his eyes narrowed and he saw madness happening.

Selected pictures from the battle:

The array of Pyrrhus:

The fall of Pyrrhos:

A battle in the balance:

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 18, 2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: hyperlinked
    Son of PW

Icon1 Re: V. AAR Competition - Nominations

Le journal d'un serviteur de l'Empereur

Author: [user]Gaius Julius Civilis[/user]
    Faction: France
    Difficulty: N.A.
    Description: The memoirs of a general fighting in the Napoleonic wars.

Teaser:

Babagitta's Avatar Campidoctor

To the Hell and Back - The Desert Knights *COMPLETED*

Author: Babagitta
    Faction: Kingdom of Jerusalem
    Difficulty: H/VH
    Description: In 2012, our worst nightmare became a reality. A nuclear holocaust...
    A very dangerous terrorist ogranization is responsible for that disaster. After years and years of war, the known world has collapsed. No technology, no power, no communications. Nothing's the same anymore...
    Chaos, anarchy and hate are feeding the most merciless war in history.
    *17 Chapters - 200 Images*
    Last edited by Babagitta; November 29, 2008 at 01:13 AM.

Heaven has a charismatic Writer now

I would like to Nominate :

Better to rule in Hell than Serve in Heaven
    Author: ManOnFire
    Faction: Poland
    Difficulty: VH/VH
    Description (keep it short): Poland's Dread Leaders want's to conquer to world
    Teaser:

The Polish ruling family comprises of two young but highly capable relatives, King Zbigniew, Prince Boleslaw. They are feared men who have risen to become the most powerful men in Poland through political cunning, well placed plots including the suspicious death of their father and by excelling on the battlefield. Whilst neither men are religious they harbour watchful eyes from the Papacy and Christian neighbours, neither man can be rightfully trusted. And now they have been joined by their brother-in-law Pryzyce, Poland must be watched.

Kingmaker
    Better to Rule in Hell than Serve in Heaven
    {Aided by the Great Counselor Rebel6666}
    Last edited by Silent Assassin; November 25, 2008 at 09:11 AM.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar Tiro

The History of an Empire
    A Qarthadastim AAR

Author: [user]Ibn-Khaldun[/user]
    Mod: Europa Barbarorum v1.1
    Faction: Qarthadastim
    Difficulty: M/M
    Description: My first AAR ever. It is written as a history book.

Teaser: One of my last updates.

Chapter III: Time of Conquests

Part II: Iberian Wars (261-251)

Old Greek temple near Emporion.

In the beginning of 261 Hasdrubal started another military campaign in Iberia. His first target was a small rebel force near Mastia. Thanks to his superior army he defeated those rebels quite easily. Then he headed north against Emporion. The ruler of Lacetania, Epandros, had three years ago sided with the Romani and attacked couple of Qarthadastim cargo ships. Now Hasdrubal saw an opportunity and attacked him. He besieged Emporion in the Spring of 260 and conquered the town in Autumn. Epandros survived the battle and was hanged by Hasdrubal three days after the town fell to his forces.

In the same time in Kart-Hadast the Senate decided that the rest of Iberia should stay under the local government. That meant that Client Kingdoms had to be established there. First Hasdrubal was against this decision but when he got the power to name those new 'Kings' he was more then happy with the Senates decision.

In Winter of 260 Hasdrubal west to Volcallra to recruit some mercenaries into his army. This action almost caused a war between Romani and Qarthadastim again. Caius Aurelius Cotta, the same Romani general who escaped from Capua just before Briareus Gisgo besieged it, were in command of an army that was besieging Tolosa. There were couple of skirmishers between Hasdrubal's and Cotta's forces but luckily a new war with the Romani did not start. In Spring of 259 Hasdrubal left with his new troops back to Emporion.

After some preparations Hasdrubal headed towards Numantia in Summer of 259. The ruler of Celtiberia was Kalamus. He was responsible for many attacks against villages in Edetania. Lot of people had died in those attacks. Some of the locals joined Hasdrubal and in Winter of 259 he finally besieged the town. He waited until the Autumn of next year before he attacked. Being confined to bed he was not able to lead his army until the end of Autumn when his forces finally attacked Numantia. Kalamus died in battle and Hasdrubal ordered to leave his body to the wild animals.
    Soon a new King was named by Hasdrubal. His name was Germelqart and he had been one of those Celtiberians who had joined him recently.

Iberian Wars 261-251

In Spring of 257 Hasdrubal attacked Vellika. The town was quite defenceless since it did not had any walls around it. Hasdrubal attacked only week later. It was a surprisingly hard fight. Hasdrubal had left most of his army to Numantia and was sure that Vellika would fall quickly but Cantabrian King Laro held took a lot of Hasdrubals warriors with him. Laro was one of the last ones to die. The losses made Hasdrubal angry and he ordered most of the people to be enslaved. A new King was appointed but he was killed in just after Hasdrubal left. Another King was appointed and this one became famous some years later. New Kings name was Hamalcar and he had served Hasdrubal for more than 5 years as his bodyguard.

The next year Hasdrubal attacked Pallantia and conquered it without many casualties. In Autumn he returned to Emporion to retrain his forces and to recruit new soldiers. For some time things cooled down in Iberia.

The only place where something was happening was Vellika and Cantabria. People from the countryside took their weapons and started to fight against King Hamalcar's forces. Destruction of local shrine did not help him either. In Autumn 255 he was forced to send some of his troops to Pallantia to garrison that town. This gave the locals enough confidence to start ambushes and surprise attacks against his troops. Finally in Summer of 253 the people from around Vellika attacked the town and King Hamalcar was forced to retreat towards Pallantia. But he was not safe there. Sine the rulers in Pallantia and Numantia did not want to risk with their soldiers lives he was left without any supporting troops. In late summer when Hamalcar was camped near a bridge between Cantabria and Asturia he was attacked by a man called Abulo. He had become the leader of the rebel forces. Outnumbering Hamalcar and his bodyguards he ordered his men to attack.

Hamalcar just before the Battle of the Bridge in 253

Hamalcar rallying his men during the battle

The battle was bloody. They hold against Scutarii and Caetrati units but when the Abulo attacked with his cavalry the battle seemed lost. There were just handful of men left when suddenly one of his men killed Abulo. After that the faith of the battle was decided. Hamalcar won and with that victory he became known throughout the Empire. After getting help from the Asturi he besieged Vellika in Autumn and in spring of 252 he attacked Vellika with his men. The battle was quick and most of the defenders gave up pretty fast. After that many books were written about him.

King Hamalcar attacking Vellika

In the same time Hasdrubal went south to Mastia and then to Turdetania. In Autumn of 254 some Massalians and Celto-Hellenes joined his forces. They hoped that Hasdrubal can convince the Senate to start a new war against Romani and liberate Massalia from the harsh rule of the Romans.In spring of 253 Hasdrubal killed the rebels north of Gader. They were led by an old Qarthadastim officer named Ahiram Baecula. Since Hasdrubal knew the man he took his rebellion as a personal insult. After the victory he ordered to crucify all the survivors on a road leading east from Gader. In summer he started the last large military campaign in Iberia. He headed towards Tyde. In late Summer of 252 Hasdrubal finally besieged Tyde. He decided to wait since the Winter of 252 was one of the hardest in that century. Men of his soldiers froze to death and when Spring finally arrived Hasdrubal recruited some mercenaries to his Army. Finally in Summer of 251 he attacked Tyde. He personally killed the King of Caellaeci, Apanus. He enslaved the town and the loot from that town made him quite wealthy. With the fall of Tyde the entire Iberian peninsula was under the rule of Qarthadastim.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 25, 2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: hyperlinked
    Kings of the Nile
    A Europa Barbarorum RPG in the Org

Saint_jimmyz's Avatar Senator

The Rise of the Lacedaemonians
    Mod: Extended Realism
    Faction: Greek Cities
    Difficulty: Hard/Medium

This is an AAR based upon the Rise of Sparta from the ashes of defeat in a fantasy war based around about 300 BC. The AAR is written from the point of view of a Spartan historian looking back at the past, from a time in which the Spartiate armies rule most of the known world.

"...Let me tell you some of the history of the Greeks. The empire of Megas Alexandros split into many warring factions after his death. A constant state of tension exists between them. Border skirmishes are frequent occurrences, and planned invasions are enacted every couple of years. The largest of these factions are the Seleucid dynasty, made up of the Hellenic remains of the old Persian Empire; and the Ptolemaics of Aegyptus. These two empires can draw on vast reserves of men, and frequently fight to a standstill. There is the Antigonid dynasty, ruling the original kingdom of Makedonia, and the kingdom of Epiros, based in Appolina and southern Italia. These peoples constantly hunger after the cities of the south, the Hellenistic homeland of the fathers of civilisation.

When the two super states go to war, the smaller satellite states are coerced into lending support to one side or another, often tipping the balance in favour of one nation. These minor Diodochi do not normally engage in full-scale warfare with one another, preferring token engagements and focusing their efforts on the superpowers themselves. It was common for the minor states to aid opposing sides to their neighbours, in a hope to gain an advantage over one of them.

During one such war, the people of Hellas aided the Seleucids, while the Makedonians and the Epirots favoured the Ptolemaics. Initially our allies had the advantage, but the Aegyptians turned the tide of the war by landing a combined army of Epiros and Makedon in Cilicia, in the belly of Seleucia. To counter this threat, we sent our professional army to Cilicia to neutralise the new theatre of war before it proved disastrous for our allies. This was a gamble, as this left many of the Greek states vulnerable and exposed. The plan relied upon Epiros and Makedon emptying their armed forces onto the beaches of Cilicia, holding nothing back, and sharing in our vulnerability.

This gamble was what led to the end of our once great nation. Our armies were anticipated, and arrived in Cilicia surrounded by hostiles, and were quickly annihilated. The Ptolemaics retaliated, capturing Byzantion and Nicomedia, and the great fleet stationed there. Syracuse and its dockyards proclaimed its independence, and joined a collation of all the states of the Isle of Silicia. Thermon and Antigonea fell to Epiros, and after long, bitter sieges Korinthos and Athens fell to the advances of Makedon.

Sparta does not stand alone, however. The survivors of the citizen – armies of Korinthos and Athens have joined together to form and army in its own right. The tribe hailing from Roma has promised to invade Epiros, to relieve the pressure from our side of the campaign. Several of the Thracian and Illyrian tribes have also pledged themselves to our cause, although there is much dissention within their ranks. And the bureaucrats of Seleucia have not forgotten our sacrifice made on their behalf, and even now march to our aid…"
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 29, 2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: corrected url
    Although this may disappoint some people, I am indeed alive, I just went inactive for three years.