Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Schwert und Speer

Default Re: Schwert und Speer

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, because the "overwrite" such-and-such response isn't making much sense to me. I download the patch, and there it is. It doesn't prompt me to do anything at all. I'm hoping someone will unpack that explanation a bit for someone who is reasonably intelligent though not software savvy. Thanks in advance!

So far, I'm really excited about the mod, even thougn I'm only 14 turns in. It's the first mod I've ever downloaded. With computer games, I'm pretty vanilla, but the possibilities of this game DEMAND nifty mods. I'm hoping for interesting geneological options with all these factions, since I think breeding is one of the most interesting parts of the game. I'll have to search for a mod that enables all unmarried females in a faction to act as agents, instead of having only the daughters of Faction Leaders and Faction Heirs to utilize. On that note, are the extra generals not included in the Family Tree intended to broaden breeding options with our Princesses? I haven't had the time to to try it yet before tha game crashes. Also, are Christian and Orthodox factions still the only ones able to use Princesses for breeding?

I'm impressed with our German friends for putting out an English version. If you guys would ever like someone to go over the English sometime,I'd be happy to help. It looks like some translation software mangled a lot of text, especially what's in the Retinue and also in some of the loading screen quotes (e.g., I don't think Winston Churchill ever used "huge" as a verb). However, the quality and variety of quotes is great, as are the historical pop-ups.
    Last edited by poprhetor; November 15, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

The patch, you download is an exe. Just double click on it, and the PC will start to unpack. When finished that, you will see a new folder, called "text". Copy this folder. Then go into the folder "data" with the following path:
    "C:\...\Medieval 2 Total War\mods\Schwert_und_Speer_Ultimat\" Then paste the copied text folder into your data folder.
    I hope you understand what I want to say, overwrite means, you replace the files from your mod with the files from the patch.

Thanks, you will see, the mod is even getting better.
    So, you are breeding your family tree with the help of your princesses? That's cool, I nerve heard of someone who did something like this.
    But I unfortunately have to disappoint you, Christian and Orthodox nations are still the only ones with princesses.

That would be nice, I'm currently reworking the quotes, but if you want to help, we won't say no.
    And, when ever you see a bug, or a wrong phrase, please post a screen, so we are able to correct this.

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

Hey guys, sounds like a great mod, but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to modding M2:TW and I'm wondering how I actually get it to play. Have installed the mod as correctly as I can tell but I can't see any option for a modded campaign in the game itself. Do I need the Kingdoms expansion to run this?

Kingdoms and update 1,05 are obligation.

Fantastic Mod guys, but the most annoying thing is whenever i go on Hotseat version, while loading up the campaign after clicking start campaign, an error message pops up and says 'Medieval 2: Total War has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.' any help please

Amon Amarth 930's Avatar Artifex

- I forgott to Think - -.-

@poolevskyi
    Schwert und Speer Ultimate
    Hotseat is not playable, the Modification is only for the large campaign
    regards Rheumafuzzy

also is there any way in changing the faction names because Kiev is called ''Kiew'' Sicily is called ''Sizily'' and scotland is called ''scottland'' on it??? i take it thats german,
    Regards Poolevskyi
    Last edited by poolevskyi; November 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM.

Edit: ok sorry poolevskyi im unterstand you ...

Danke Ford Prefect, ich habe das falsch verstanden
    Last edited by Rheumafuzzy; November 21, 2008 at 10:21 AM.

I'm very sorry, that'll be corrected as soon as possible.
    It's our first mod, that has been translated so far, so we need your help, thanks for reporting the bugs.

@Rheumafuzzy: Sorry, I posted to late, without reading your post, do you think, he makes fun of you, because he can't play the hotseat?
    I don't think so, the bugs, he reported were right, so we actually should say thank you to him. Hope you understand what I wanted to say.

Vllt. solltest Du Dich entschuldigen, ich glaube nicht, dass er uns beleidigen wollte, die Bugs die er gemeldet hat stimmen jedenfalls, tschuldigung.
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; November 21, 2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: To late...

ok dont worry about patching, or sending downloads is there a quick way that you can edit the script of those 3 thats all?? By the way its the best mod on here but would be perfect if these names were changed
    Regards Poolevskyi
    Last edited by poolevskyi; November 21, 2008 at 10:21 AM.

Yes, you just have to go into the folder "mods\Schwert_und_Speer_Ultimat\data\text", then opening "expanded.txt" with an editor, here search for Kiew, Sizily and Scottland, and just replace them with the right names. Then delete "expanded.txt.strings", it will be created new, when starting the game.

Thanks guys you're the best!!! , what editor is needed?
    Last edited by poolevskyi; November 21, 2008 at 10:34 AM.

The expanded.txt.strings has to be deleted.
    The other expanded file has to be edited.
    It is possible, that you don't have this file, here you can download the file, just copy it into your text folder.
    http://files.filefront.com/expandedt.../fileinfo.html

Search in Google "Notepad++"

cheers for everything guys and keep up the good work!!!! will you be releasing any other mods? Schwert und Speer 2???

Thanks!

Yes, we're planing a new project, but that will take some time. The only thing I think I'm allowed to say right now is, that there will be just few factions, but many, many scripts. So, be anxious!

Lycodelphos's Avatar Tiro

Hi guys.

I've been playing now for a few days and really enjoy this mod. The AI scripting is first rate, and the events and options offered in the game are very enjoyable, adding great depth and variation to the mod. Repeating a faction using different strategies is a definite challenge in this mod!

I have a few suggestions for you. As mentioned earlier, I recommend having someone with a German/English language fluency skill go though the text files and clean up the translations. I'd offer to do this myself but my fluency is in French and English.

Also, I really love the mercenary house addition to the castle building tree. The additional variety of units acts like an AOR element in the mod. I might suggest a further refinement by creating a separate mercenary recruitment pool based on geography and culture. In other words maybe restrict mercenary units to specific factions = Western European factions, Northern European factions, Eastern European factions, Southern Eur., Muslim, etc. As an example - only Western (or Western and Northern) European) factions (England, Scotland, Ireland, France) can recruit Welsh Longbowmen. This way you could increase the number of mercenary units available overall but limit them to just a few factions each. I would also suggest more mounted mercenaries.

To address the critics of "historical" accuracy of the mod. I simply suggest changing the start date to sometime around A.D. 1190-1200. By that time all the factions in the mod were more or less in esistence in some form. Of course that means a lot of reworking of events so don't feel you have to do this right away but it could be something for a future version of the mod.

Finally, the English version accents are in need of some adjustment. This is a common problem for mod conversions from German to English translations. I've done a version for myself and have attached a copy of the describe_sounds_accents.txt file I corrected to my taste. For those who wish to use it just drop it in the data folder and overwrite the old version. (BTW I use the German accent for Denmark and Norway instead of the "Vanilla" Eastern European accent. I also could not get the Irish accent to work for Ireland so I used the Scottish accent instead) It's save game compatible.

Attachment 23577
    Proud Contributor of: "AGON: REBIRTH OF THE HELLENES" & "Patria Libera"
    "There's such divinity doth hedge a king,
    That treason can but peep to what it would,..."

Hoi Lycodelphos,

thanks, it was our aim, to improve the campaign game and I think, that succeed.

Yes, you're right, I'll overhaul the translations, the quotes are actually finished, the rest will be made someday, I'm mapping for the next few months, so let's see, when that will be...

Interesting proposal, but to make this, you definitely need new mercenaries, and the problem is, we reached the limit of 500 different units, so it is unfortunately not possible, to create further mercenaries, or even mount a unit, 'cause you will again need a new unit slot. Maybe that'll be an option for our next project, let's see.

Hmmm, we have over 100 Events, and rework all them, just to change the start date at 10 - 20 years? I think that's a lil' bit to much work, we never affirmed, that we are a historical correct mod, but we'll think about that, of course. Though we probably won't release a future version of the mod, this is the final version, but maybe we'll make a patch, where things like this will be fixed.

The file you made, does it make the nations speak English instead of German?
    That would be great, are we allowed to use this file in the next patch of our mod? (Of course you will get credits)
    Thanks for that!

Lycodelphos's Avatar Tiro

Please feel free to use the file I posted that corrects the accents for the English version.

I wanted to clarify my suggestion on the mercenaries. I wasn't suggesting adding new units to the mod, rather I was suggesting expanding the mercenary pool from the current units available in the mod you already have, creating regional/cultural mercenary groups, but limit which units each faction can recruit based on that faction's culture or geographic region. You might include additional unique fation units such as Portuguese Knights, Varangian Guards, Cossack Cavalry, Broken Lances, etc.
    Proud Contributor of: "AGON: REBIRTH OF THE HELLENES" & "Patria Libera"
    "There's such divinity doth hedge a king,
    That treason can but peep to what it would,..."