Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quit my clan today.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Quit my clan today.

I quite the clan I belonged to today. It was getting absolutely ridiculous the type of language used and the insults giving out on the clan forum. It’s totally beyond me how parents let their children on the internet completely unsupervised.

It’s doesn’t help the hobby at all either. If you’re a moderator for a clan you must clamp down on that type of behavior, to establish any credibility as a clan.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: Quit my clan today.

I don't blame you, man. Although I know a few nice clanplayers, there is a huge culture of trash-talking & badmouthing that is most prevalent with said group.

You have good clan leaders who actually uphold their rules of etiquette, but unfortunately, the good clan leaders aren't always there to monitor their junior members. And in some clans, the clan leader might be the worst offender.

People need to realize that you don't need to be in a clan to play Rome: Total War online. Yet one of the first things a newcomer to MP will say is: "I want to join a clan."
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 06, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Thanks for posting Prince,
    I don't let my own kids talk to me like that, why would I let someone else's kids?

No respect these days with the younger generation.

I've never been in a clan either. I suppose it's one way to get into decent tournaments and competitive play.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

I feel you pain, however, not all clans are like that, some of them avoid pretty well from trashtalking and such. I dont undertstant either, if player will continue to insult people what is the point of becoming a clan player ? Isnt clans are protector of sportmanlike playing ?

There is even a term named "clan wars" which consist of insulting other clan whenever you see them in lobby. What is the point of that ? This is ridiculous...

But there is another fact that, clannies (not all of them) behave players without tags unpolitely and they think that "men without tags are know nothing about playing"

RTW online community is not that big and all those behaviours make it even smaller smaller and smaller...

Good luck, with the rest of your online playing..

Njord's Avatar Civis

I've always been a competitive player, in every game that I've played. Day of defeat, age of mythology, dawn of war. In each of these games there has always been clans.

The attractions that clans have is that they allow you to feel accepted to a new environment, you meet people you can talk to and play with on a regular basis with relative ease. Where as players such as myself in Rome don't know anyone and simply play anyone who is online. While it is a lonesome way to be, I have no will to play with or in a clan seeing as I do come from a very competitive clan scene in warhammer soulstorm, I'd like a break.

As for trash talking and trolling, it's a part of online play and it always will be. Hoping it can be restrained or ironed out is pure and utter illogical optimist nausea.

As long as there is able to be a winner and a loser there will be egos and while they can hide behind anonymity there will be belligerence.

I think this clannies bashing should stop, not all of us are a bunch of maniacs that exclude and make fun of all no-clannies.
    Those who trashtalk are a minority in a clan, unlike some people say and is a lack of respect including all in a group just because of some psychos.

Quote Originally Posted by Toern View Post
    Those who trashtalk are a minority in a clan, unlike some people say and is a lack of respect including all in a group just because of some psychos.
    But there must be an inclan mechanism that will stop this minority in then clan since they reduce the reputation of the clan IMHO.

Up to a point I agree with everything said here, but being in a clan can dramatically improve your gameplay and most clannies are a nice decent bunch of people
    Sadly the minority of clannies who are complete and utter trash are the most noisiest and that is why all clannies tend to get tarred with the same brush
    I have been in 2 clans (and although now clanless) and they were both well run with some discipline installed
    For me there is a minority of clans who cause all the trouble, one in particular springs to mind (although I won't name them) where the leader is a notorious bad mouth and has probably driven away and upset many players in his proud reign of terror

My advice to anybody who gets to be the target of this pathetic behaviour is to block them and ban them from your games

Ofc HeroSk, a lack of a decent behaviour would result in a immediate demotion as a warning, and then if the player continues the trash talk, he is kicked.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    Thanks for posting Prince,
    I don't let my own kids talk to me like that, why would I let someone else's kids?

No respect these days with the younger generation.

Argeed. But I seen people in their 30's and 40's acting immature. I'm 16, going on 17 years old and at least I have respect for my elders.

Njord's Avatar Civis

Respect is earned, not given as a courtesy to strangers due to their age.

I approach people with apathy, and I'm courteous, to a point. What more can you ask of a cynic?

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Njord View Post

As for trash talking and trolling, it's a part of online play and it always will be. Hoping it can be restrained or ironed out is pure and utter illogical optimist nausea.
    The first sentence isn't true though. I've played Starcraft online for years, and that was considered one of the hotspots for trash-talking and whatnot. Yet, I never really encountered that much trash-talking myself. Sure there were occasional trash-talkers/verbal abusers, but these people were nothing compared to the kind of scum I found playing R:TW on Gamespy...

...When I came to play R:TW online, it was (and still is) a completely different environment than any other online game out there. It's the most abusive environment I've ever encountered for any online game ever in my life. It's sheer abuse. I even read a mainstream review about how a play-tester tried the Multiplayer aspect of R:TW, and he criticized at how poorly mannered the online community was. He recommended that people stick to Single-Player because of the poor reception he got online.

If enough of us Historians & TRUE gamers play this game online, then we can take back the R:TW MP community for those who actually have respect for our opponents/teammates. We need to make R:TW (online) a friendly place for people who enjoy gaming and who enjoy History.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Njord's Avatar Civis

Because you don't agree with it does not make it untrue. Show me a game that has no trolling and flame?

Although a noble idea, it won't happen. As I said as long as there is anonymity and competition there will be abuse and needless belligerence. Kid's egos grow and so do their balls when they face no repercussions for their actions.

The abuse online in Rome is not worse than other games, it's merely more apparent due to us having less players.

To be specific, the abuse I was subject to was my own clan members, all taking place on the Clan’s website.

Thanks for posting everybody

Because you don't agree with it does not make it untrue. Show me a game that has no trolling and flame?
    2 years of Starcraft, and I remember every instance of severe trolling/flaming (because it didn't happen that much).

1 month of Rome: Total War, I can't even count how much trolling/flaming occurs. This isn't even "harmless" trolling/flaming. This is sheer verbal abuse and/or jealousy on a scale without precedent.

Although a noble idea, it won't happen. As I said as long as there is anonymity and competition there will be abuse and needless belligerence. Kid's egos grow and so do their balls when they face no repercussions for their actions.
    I've never faced anything like the abuse I've found on R:TW. Perhaps you don't know who I am, but I don't make stories up.

The abuse online in Rome is not worse than other games, it's merely more apparent due to us having less players.
    The percentage of trash-talkers makes it worse than any other game out there. I've been gaming online for about 10 years, and R:TW is the worst egg out there by far. I've never seen true verbal abuse until I came to R:TW. When I see trash-talking on Battlefield or Starcraft, it feels harmless. But when I come to R:TW, I really feel that there is a lot of hate and jealousy online.

I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like you have very limited experience playing R:TW online. You seem to think that this game is the same as any other (in terms of brats). No, you haven't seen brats yet until you've played this game online for at least a month.

Furthermore, there has been a large influx of players (using my philosophy of manners > skills), and my philosophy is spreading. Just a "noble cause?" Well, at least I'm doing something about thug behavior online.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 08, 2008 at 07:07 AM.

Njord's Avatar Civis

I don't deny that trolling is bad or it isn't annoying, but there is trolling in every game. You and a select few adopting a philosophy will not change how the brats interact online and that's why it's futile. The only thing you influence is people who are willing to play this game with a degree of civility.

So no, you aren't doing anything to quell the main cause of the hostility. Seeing as it's beyond your power to do anything bar act superior and ignore them.

Which inflames them more.

I've never faced anything like the abuse I've found on R:TW. Perhaps you don't know who I am, but I don't make stories up.
    Who you are is irrelivant, nor does your youtube reputation guarentee your truthfulness. What it does show is you acting above your station, thinking you are actually more important than you are.

You face more abuse than I ever will because you choose to be in the limelight. Even the way you interact with people causes tention. Your pretentionness frankly infuriates me as does your holier than thou additude.

The percentage of trash-talkers makes it worse than any other game out there. I've been gaming online for about 10 years, and R:TW is the worst egg out there by far. I've never seen true verbal abuse until I came to R:TW. When I see trash-talking on Battlefield or Starcraft, it feels harmless. But when I come to R:TW, I really feel that there is a lot of hate and jealousy online.
    Both those games greatly out number Rome total war players. What part of the abuse being more apparent due to our lack of numbers don't you grasp? Rome is a far smaller community, less competition and people who wouldn't be much more than decent think they are godly due to lack of competition.

I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like you have very limited experience playing R:TW online. You seem to think that this game is the same as any other (in terms of brats). No, you haven't seen brats yet until you've played this game online for at least a month.
    It doesn't take a month to notice behavioural patterns in an extremely low population game, especially when gaming behaviour doesn't change much from game to game.

I also come from an extremely competitive backround, where as you do not. So believe me when I tell you I've seen far more abuse than any illiterate brat on Rome has to offer. Dawn of War is actually far worse, in terms of online lobby chat racism, trash talk and even on the Sanctuary/ESL forums belligerence and sarcasm are valued more highly than etiquette.

The only difference being is they actually have braincells to probe, test and infuriate those who try to ignore them.

Njord,
    You need to monitor what you're saying. If you have a problem with my reputation for being a honest player who's trying to make R:TW better for Historians & Gamers, then message me on YouTube.

Now back to the subject...

We're talking about percentages here.

Worms: Armageddon Online
    If you want to compare R:TW to another small online game, then you can look at Worms: Armageddon. I was also a top player in that game with a high-profile (just like in R:TW). Yet, after a year of playing this game online, I never encountered the type of verbal abuse/envy that I faced on R:TW. It's not about being a small community. It's about there being a huge percentage of bad eggs found on R:TW compared to any other game out there (whether big, medium or small).

Medieval II: Total War Online
    Another game with a small community would be Medieval II: Total War. In fact, Medieval II is significantly smaller than R:TW's online community, yet the instances of verbal abuse/trash-talking/etc is virtually non-existent on Medieval II. There are people there who are occasionally poor-mannered, but it's nothing on the scale or sheer level of atrocity found on R:TW.

As you can see, being a small game with a small community has nothing to do with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluny the Scourge View Post
    I've never been in a clan either. I suppose it's one way to get into decent tournaments and competitive play.
    You don't have to be in a clan to get competitive play though. If you host a game with low money settings (and reasonable rules), then competitive players (and clanplayers) will join your game.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Nuisance esq View Post
    Sadly the minority of clannies who are complete and utter trash are the most noisiest and that is why all clannies tend to get tarred with the same brush
    Although it's true that the mediocre clanplayers tend to have big mouths, it's also true that some of the best clanplayers have equally big mouths.
    Up to a point I agree with everything said here, but being in a clan can dramatically improve your gameplay and most clannies are a nice decent bunch of people
    Being in a clan will certainly improve your gaming, but you don't need to be in a clan to improve your skills at this game. R:TW can be learned without being in a clan, albeit at a much slower pace.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 08, 2008 at 09:37 AM.

Njord's Avatar Civis

You need to keep in mind that truth is completely subjective.

My experience in worms is there wasn't much talking at all between players. Was there even a lobby? You also didn't make online videos for worms beating people, pointing out their flaws in game and at times chastising them for not being up to your standard of behaviour.

You don't ever think that perhaps its not envy they look at you with? I'm sure some players idolize you, I know I don't, however I am grateful for some of the knowledge your videos have gave me. Now it's not myself trying to insult you, but I'm trying to point out that it's how you interact and what you do that can either provoke or settle a situation. Different players have different experiences, quieter players will rarely be attacked by a gang of youths online. Simply because they aren't noticed and don't retaliate.

As for messaging you on youtube, I'm not using another service to refute a point you make here.

Rome total war is completely anonymous, where as most games require registration of cd-keys and email addresses to go online. This could lead to more aggression, seeing as you can't really tract offenders.

If you really wanted to make a dent in this behaviour you'd contact CA/Sega. Course the only response they would give is to close the lobby system, or ignore you.

As making a new system or upgrading the old one to track offenders would be far too much a tedious task for one of their outdated games.

My experience in worms is there wasn't much talking at all between players. Was there even a lobby? You also didn't make online videos for worms beating people, pointing out their flaws in game and at times chastising them for not being up to your standard of behaviour.
    There was indeed a Chat Lobby. And there were multiple forums where I told stories of my Worms' team. And, unlike R:TW, there was actually a worldwide ranking. The top players had badges next to their next names whenever they logged in. Skilled players were recognized even without talking.

I was well-known, and people messaged me all the time.

Furthermore, there was a lot of talking on Worms. I even met a few people who played this game online because I found out they lived 10 minutes from me.

The Worms community was a gaming-utopia (compared to this game at least). Medieval II also has a rocking MP community, but I don't really like playing that game to be honest.

As for messaging you on youtube, I'm not using another service to refute a point you make here.
    But you're not always addressing the points here. You're making personal attacks which I have reported (which is why you should message me on YouTube if you wish to continue with this). I will tolerate your behavior on YouTube, but unfortunately, there are rules on this forum to follow.

I'm sure some players idolize you, I know I don't,
    Again, feel free to YouTube that kind of comment because it has no place here.

If you really wanted to make a dent in this behaviour you'd contact CA/Sega. Course the only response they would give is to close the lobby system, or ignore you.
    I've already made a dent in this type of behavior. What I'm doing is actually achieving something. Take, for example, some of the most notorious/visible trash-talkers online. I have exposed to the community that they're all talk, and now they're not so verbal anymore.

Call me "high and mighty" if you wish, but I will work day and night (with whoever else shares in my vision) to make our community respectable. And guess what? There's about 600 people who definitely share my vision. I'd say I'm making an impact. Basically, my aim is to make Rome: Total War's community more like Medieval II or any other reasonable gaming community out there. We're still living in a ghetto, but with tough work, we won't be living like thugs forever.

BTW - Contacting CA/Sega won't accomplish anything.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 08, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast