Thread: Warcraft mod series proposal

Default Warcraft mod series proposal

Here's a very interesting but quite realistic proposition:

Warcraft for E:TW.

The main idea of the proposal would be the delivery of the full mod in separate episodes which would each have the feel of a self-contained, complete mod (as opposed to feeling like an incomplete version of the full thing).

The simple solution is to stick with the scopes of the original games, and therefore the first part would consist of just the (purely) orcish Horde and the kingom of Azeroth. Each faction would have a very manageable amount of units to do (though obviously more than in the original games, but consistent to the background), and the rest is simply designing an interesting campaign map for the struggle between these two species.

The mod could probably work well enough with the rest of the game's graphics unchanged, depending on what "medieval" resources are available. A superb soundtrack is obviously readily available.

The next episodes would feature the Tides of Darkness and the Horde's campaign on Lordaeron, including elves, dwarves, trolls and ogres (and goblins) on a much expanded campaign map, as well as options to start in the "Tides of Darkness" campaign directly and combine the two campaigns (if possible, triggered by the fall of Stormwind).

After that, who knows what would be possible with the future installments?

Thus endeth my proposal. Obviously, Blizzard's policy on the use of its IP determines if this is all a pipe dream.

I'm not much of a modder myself, but I wouldn't be against helping in other ways if a project did indeed spring up.

Default Re: Warcraft mod series proposal

LOL, you do that.

Why why why would anyone want to do this? Why not make up your own D&d/Tolkienesque rip-off fantasy?
    Last edited by Dain; November 14, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

I am not against the idea, but I do see some limitations that you will need to figure out. Keep in mind I don’t know that much about warcraft.

1.) Separate episodes. It will really disrupt balance and double the work.

2.) Cities I don't know much about warcraft, but to my knowledge they don't have many cities so annexation is likely to easy. This means smaller battles and quicker games.

3.) Troop balancing. Are you going to have a mage alone and warriors in groups of 40? Will orc spearmen come in groups of 40 and gnomes 100? Something along those lines needs to be really well though out.

4.) Nation's. How many can you honestly fit into the game and what will the political system be like? Also will each faction have a realistic chance? Not to be negative, but gnomes are screwed.

Anyway I am not trying to dash your hopes, but I think you should at least consider making the game from the world of warcraft map, and maybe use older troop types to take away the individuality of the game.
    Sorry, but I am not reading the bible again until they put a few more ninjas in it.