Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glory to the Scots

Default Glory to the Scots

Will you be making a proper scotland that doesn't only have a couple of wooden shacks no one has done this and its very sad

1. Scotlands church was one of the greatest in the western world some same second only to rome will there religous power be showen?

2. There citys were not all wood infact this was very uncommon and only rich nobles could build with wood as there was very little of it.

3. If William Wallace is in the mod do not make him some poor guy who magicly united the Scots. He was a noble who was infact training to be a monk. NO HOLLYWOOD.

4. No fantasy Scottish units they are nothing like other mods and CA make them to be.

5. Please show there deep hatred for the English and so on.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Default Re: Glory to the Scots

I think Hross already answered this one the best he could, without giving too much away that is.

You can view it here.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168469

Last edited by KoldPhire; November 06, 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks the units will be great! but what I really want to know is your not going to make them a little weak faction that doesn't stand a chance because they were not! they were quite a force and were quite advanced. Not to mention there religous power.

The best look you will probably get is in here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202600

It would seem that the Scots have a more tribal sort of administration, which is true to history. It also seems they will receive some papal support as well.

Last edited by KoldPhire; November 06, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Scotland were surprisingly not big English haters. On the contrary, under the Norman period there was a great deal of assimilation. Many Normans settled in Scotland to become powerful leaders themselves, such as the Bruces.
    Scotland was by no means the barbarian backwater it is often made out to be... but then again the same is done of the Scandinavian factions too. Scotland is by no means as well-developed as say France, nor will it be ever as so strong administratively or economically. It will however be able to hold its own against Norway and England for a very long period.
    Technically, Scotland was highly tribalised and actually divided amongst feudal powers for much of the Middle Ages. It was only really after the Bruce that the kigdom appeared to show signs of stability and development, mainly with the influence of Imperial 'royal patronage' with Bruce's many Royal Burhs and granting of trade rights and town charters. In 1080 however, the land is quite uneven -there are some areas more backward than others. The real riches lie in the south east too and that is quite contested territory. Perth which was the capital was still a heavily outmoded royal centre with little infrastructure and adminstrative value, mostly it was a semi-pagan ceremonial site. Although obviously Christianity was strong especially around the king, the site of Perth (like Uppsala in Sweden, or Tara in Ireland) was important for the kingdoma as a whole because it tied together the old ideas of what, where and how kingship should be.
    Scotland was in fact quite backward in some ways therefore, it is important not to gloss over the facts.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SpartansAvenged View Post
    5. Please show there deep hatred for the English and so on.
    Actually that is just another myth produced by braveheart. At this time, Scotland and England were just your average neighbours, and had reasonably good relations in a lot of ways.

EDIT: sorry Hross, u got there before me
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    Actually that is just another myth produced by braveheart. At this time, Scotland and England were just your average neighbours, and had reasonably good relations in a lot of ways.

EDIT: sorry Hross, u got there before me
    Lol! and he's a scot himself,so if he says so...!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos View Post
    Lol! and he's a scot himself,so if he says so...!
    Are there any english or just scots

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by true born Lithuanian View Post
    Are there any english or just scots
    yeah, I know lol...
    well, you can now feel safe in the knowledge that I am English!

Citizen

Actually im a quarter english and a quarter scottish, but i live in Scotland and i wouldn't want to change that fact.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Senator

Actually im a quarter english and a quarter scottish, but i live in Scotland and i wouldn't want to change that fact.
    wow - a 1/4 of each? I know a lot of people who are half and half, but none who are a quarter and a quarter lol

yeah, Scotland is a pretty nice place, tbh....

apart from the damn midgies... << I wish lol

Here's a suggestion for a faction-specific building/cultural item for Scotland in the late period: A golf llinks! The Old Course at St. Andrews was well-established by the 1400s. Set it up so that a golf course provides a huge boost to public happiness...but it severely reduces the skills of peasant archers recruited in that area (one Scottish king actually banned golf by royal edict because it distracted the men too much from archery practice).

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Scotland were surprisingly not big English haters. On the contrary, under the Norman period there was a great deal of assimilation. Many Normans settled in Scotland to become powerful leaders themselves, such as the Bruces.
    Scotland was by no means the barbarian backwater it is often made out to be... but then again the same is done of the Scandinavian factions too. Scotland is by no means as well-developed as say France, nor will it be ever as so strong administratively or economically. It will however be able to hold its own against Norway and England for a very long period.
    Technically, Scotland was highly tribalised and actually divided amongst feudal powers for much of the Middle Ages. It was only really after the Bruce that the kigdom appeared to show signs of stability and development, mainly with the influence of Imperial 'royal patronage' with Bruce's many Royal Burhs and granting of trade rights and town charters. In 1080 however, the land is quite uneven -there are some areas more backward than others. The real riches lie in the south east too and that is quite contested territory. Perth which was the capital was still a heavily outmoded royal centre with little infrastructure and adminstrative value, mostly it was a semi-pagan ceremonial site. Although obviously Christianity was strong especially around the king, the site of Perth (like Uppsala in Sweden, or Tara in Ireland) was important for the kingdoma as a whole because it tied together the old ideas of what, where and how kingship should be.
    Scotland was in fact quite backward in some ways therefore, it is important not to gloss over the facts.
    Indeed this whole scot and english hating each other thing seems to of flared up again recently not just in historical perception but also in modern society it's a bit disturbing.

Anyway i do hope you do justice to the scots as mel gibsons braveheart has alot to answer for.....
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

ColmCeile's Avatar Foederatus

I think Scots started really hating the English after the sacking of Berwick.

Infact I hope it is included because it was a very rich town before it was destroyed.

ColmCeile's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Did the sacking of Berwick play a big factor in the hatred between the Scots and English in those times?

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Probably wasn't going to get the English any awards...
    The problems really started with the Normans, William the Concubine started throwing his weight around from the start and demanding vassalage...which wasn't very well received or given.
    In Anglo-Saxon times the English border Earldoms and the southern Scottish powers surely did get up to a lot of mischief and fighting but they also mixed a great deal, the line was a bit hazy really. There were Scottish lords and kingdoms strecthing into what is now England and English populations in the south too, the Scots dialect attests to just how Anglo-Saxon the south was, we can assume the north of England was pretty Scottish too.
    The imperialism of Norman England developed pretty much in tandem with the growth of Scottish unification. So as the Scots began to be rruled by a strong central government they began to pose a threat to the Normans and so it started tit for tat. Whether Berwick was a tit or a tat is up for debait...

Lol it was a joke.

Anyway good to see you've done your Scottish research Hross.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Keys View Post
    Lol it was a joke.
    How do you know? Are you psychic?

EDIT: wait, you started the thread? I'm confused Where has Spartans avenged('s?) post gone to?

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

I smell a name change lol

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how many regions will Scotland have? The 3 in Vanilla are too few in my opinion.

Also, is there a hardcoded region limit in MIITW?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast