Thread: Operation Barbarossa halted by Russian winter...damn.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Operation Barbarossa halted by Russian winter...damn.

Well,uh,I have an bit of a problem.I started by Invasion of the Soviet Union in June,a few days later of the original date,and I am now in October.I've got pretty much on the line straight down from Leningrad,and the winter halted my advance.So should I wait for the spring or carry on?

O Sancta Simplicitas!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Operation Barbaross halted by Russian winter...damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd von Rundstedt View Post
    Well,uh,I have an bit of a problem.I started by Invasion of the Soviet Union in June,a few days later of the original date,and I am now in October.I've got pretty much on the line straight down from Leningrad,and the winter halted my advance.So should I wait for the spring or carry on?
    Lol, I am surprised that Rundstedt ask this question.

I never had that before anyway; but from AI's experience I would suggest advance slowly. Never let Russian regroup anytime.

Well,I try it,but all my good divisions are up north and trying to do something with those bloody Hungarians,Romanians and Bulgarians is kinda of...stupid.But I do get something done.

Also,I had an odd thing in my game,don't know why it is like that...the attack on Pearl Harbor never happened,and I had to cheat to get Japans as my ally...also,I got Finland as well because I wanted it to come realistic.

O Sancta Simplicitas!

The Russian secret weapon has kicked in eh?
    I'm usually halting all my attacks on the Eastern Front (or other similar environments, e.g. Canada) when Winter is approaching and the battles are getting harder and harder on the organization compared to rather meager advances. In the end, it usually pays off very well because you can reorganize, -supply, -inforce and upgrade your troops where necessary in order to start an all-out frontal assault as soon as the situation is getting better again. It did work quite well for me up to now at least.

Also,I had an odd thing in my game,don't know why it is like that...the attack on Pearl Harbor never happened,and I had to cheat to get Japans as my ally...also,I got Finland as well because I wanted it to come realistic.
    The Pearl Harbor Invasion is tied to a certain event some time earlier where the US have to decide wether they want to continue selling oil to Japan or not. Normally, they're stopping the trade which later causes the attack on Pearl Harbor because Japan hopes to be able to secure oil deposits for themselves or at least force the US to restart the trade. In your case though, the US probably decided to continue trading oil with Japan so Pearl Harbor never happens. At least that's the way I experienced it when I was playing the US and made that very decision.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; November 04, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Operation Barbarossa halted by Russian winter...damn.

If there are weak spots in the soviet line, then exploit it and maul those ers. And in the south, your allies are poorly disciplined but if you can muster a critical mass of them, it would be a good idea to try and force a path through, especially if you can concentrate your aircraft to support.
    My pony jumps ever so high

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

When the soil is frost attack can be available again.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Just be glad you aren't playing the World in Flames mod , because otherwise you would be destroyed.

I usually conduct operation Barbarossa on the first plan drafted by Leeb , 2 army Groups , a strong north to cut off the entirety of the baltics to secure leningrad , and a decent center to advance to the diniper line. Once I have those objectives I halt there and hold up , I also help the fins take all of greater Kerallia , thus shortening the frontlines. Then in 1942 I am rested and relaxes , and I move on Moscow from 2 directions .

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Stop, setup a defensive line, create some reserves, built some forts in overly exposed provinces because the Soviets gets unbelievable bonuses in fighting in extreme winter conditions. It is nigh impossible to win. Keep track of weather, use your airforce, expand it if possible and use the time and any available resources in other fronts. Keep in mind that the Soviets will be much harder when you can campaign again and will most likely have a load more divisions. Plan for a blitz but be certain that it will be much harder than the one in summer 1941.

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

go on the defensive. When March comes, put the smackdown on em'

Well,I could do it if there wasn't any mud...and also,if they hadn't got so many troops and provinces...I'm constantly making infantry battalions so I could have enough men to get those bastards...

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Then take em' down. That's what reinforcements are for

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Na, the Pearl Harbor event would only happen if Japan did not conquer China at at 1941; even that China survived until that time (in fact, if China survived until that time Japan is pretty much doomed since Human Wave doctrine start going gold around 1940) Pearl Harbor would still not fire up for some unknown reason.

However, without Pear Harbor does not mean Japan would not attack Allies; in fact, most time Japan would declare war against US around 1943, and most time British would die like ant (they even lost India if China is Japan's puppet). The only bad thing is Japan would not join Axis if there is no Pearl Harbor (but generally Japan did far better if they declared war at 1943).

By the way, even American join Allies there is noting to fear; the funny thing is Italian is far stronger than the actual Italian in WWII, and Allies would never able to gain a foot on Sicily even you don't aid Italian. For France, just send a strong force there and wait unti American land some 30 divisions, although most time Allies would not even try to do that.

By the way, if US did not join Allies there is a chance that US would declare war against USSR...