Thread: help ? with playing this mod

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default help ? with playing this mod

This mod looks great great work .Anyway can anyone help just bstarted playing Beyond roman glory as ERE within 2 turns 3 quarters of my cities rebelled ,what can i do ?:hmmm:

Default Re: help ? with playing this mod

wow that sounds pretty bad. reckon you can get a screenie up? would probably help us to give you advice better, but still, always happy to give you the basics (that is, the basics in my book, others may have different suggestions):

• Recapture the cities before going up against other factions.
    • Try to sell off alliances, ceasefires or map information for as much cash as possible to keep you going; without those cities youll be losin cash and need as much as possible to get the troops necessary to recapture them.
    • (With regards to auto_calcing) If retraining costs and logistics is ruining your time schedule and pocket then hire mercs on the turn you assault the city. Select all factional troops and have them leave the army (whilst staying out of the enemy control zone) and then have them rejoin your general. This way the mercs are the first units in line and these, I find, tend to take the most casulaties. Once they've taken the city you can disband them and have most of your other forces intact, this way you save men and money since you only pay the mercs the hiring price, which is generally cheap.

Once you've taken the cities you'll obviously want to be sure that the public order is kept high. Even with an extermination I find some cities still rowdy even with the entire assaulting army garrisoned inside so here are some tips for that.

• Religion tends to play a big hand- check to see if the religious building in the settlement goes against the general population and don't forget to check the conversion rates; it's no good building a pagan temple in a settlement if there are 57% pagans living there but it has a 30% christianity conversion rate. just build the most sensible building and things will play out
    • Squalor is also a big problem in a lot of settlements, since it's hard to control. Generally, building sewers and aquaducts early in tends to slow it down, although population growth plays a big role in it- make sure you don't build ANY farms in settlements, since other buildings will increase the rate of which people move there. always think long term: if the city you want to build a major farm is only has 800 people living there and you want to build it to provide more soldiers, once the front line is pushed forwards what are you gonna do with a city of 20,000 people with a 6% growth rate? remember, think long term
    • Governors also play a big factor in public order, since their religion and traits can all directly effect how the population feels. check whose suited best for it and assign them to the rowdiest settlements, and be sure to keep an eye on new traits and retinues, and you'll have one helluva administration.

I'm pretty sure that if you keep all this in mind you'll get by with eease. Good luck!

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Hi Costantius, I agree with Aenima: Think Long Term!
    All factions are hard to manage at the beginning, but both WRE and ERE have the most bad starting positions.
    Playing WRE through both 434AD and 463AD campaigns, population happiness is one of the main objectives (through religion and squallor management), but absolutely don’t forget economy. I mean that for some turns you should "micromanagement" your empire balancing happiness, economy and defence, to have then enough money to enlist stronger and trained troops for your conquest. Rio’s mods are not for blitzkrieg campaign from the beginning
    I know that it will be not an exciting campaign from the beginning, but after some turns (maybe several turns…), you will have enough money to build for your armies.
    That is what I have done and even if I found every campaign different, it worked almost always…
    * Leaving the most far towns of the empire, destroying all possible buildings increase treasury and trasferring the usefull troops (looks upkeep costs) keep good defense for others towns. I know that your heart will cry leaving Alexandria, but it is anyway a living heart
    * ERE have a big empire so others factions could be interested to buy you map, tradings and alliances…
    * Burial Grounds (happiness), Food Trading (happiness and economy), Horse Trading (economy), Metal Trading (economy) needs only one turn to be built, so in few turns happiness and economy are increased.
    * then I avoided buildings that increases population (increase squallor and decrease happiness) and I built one for happiness and one for economy alternatively, checking menus for towns imports and exports, and I found that roads and ports are a nice economy boost, but avoid ships if not absolutely needed.
    Concerning Generals, due to their high upkeep cost, I adopted only the Generals with at least 2 points for each command and management (anyway one of the two it’s enough) to command army or manage a town. Anyway I rebate take care of their upkeep costs.
    Concerning troops for WRE (but I think that for ERE too…) I had one or two towns with 2nd or 3rd level smith, that can be used to train your soldiers, for the first conquest.
    Aenima gives the right suggestion: hire mercenary when you siege or fight on field to save your legionarios. Mercenary are less expensive to hire but expensive to mantain, so disband them quickly after battle.
    As last suggestion use spy with your armies to scout the territory (avoid to be trapped), and to guard your borders as soon as a general will build a tower guard and then a fort with Limitanei inside.
    With spies and then towers you will be warned for incoming enemies (plus a better looks in your lands) and you will have time to move your troops to face them (as historically happened) and then your forts (but wait to have enough money) will guard the borders, while involved to conquer other lands.
    I hope that it can help to beecome the new Justinian and beyond…

ayeaye Sirs

PS. What do you Costantius and Aenima think to start a "show your empires" thread? …oooppsss … and you Riothamus too

Quote Originally Posted by constantius View Post
    This mod looks great great work .Anyway can anyone help just bstarted playing Beyond roman glory as ERE within 2 turns 3 quarters of my cities rebelled ,what can i do ?:hmmm:

hi constantius,

Just a reminder in the future to make a single post on a topic you would like discussed and not several to avoid confusion ok..I responded to this topic on the discussion thread

margio and Aenima have some great ideas and will help out immensely.
    As I said in the discussion thread Its imperative to micro manage each city for about 12 turns. On that thread I go into it n more detail. Also make sure to have the patch III and the rebel patch for improved game play..Enjoy

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

hehe thanks Rio, and it's definitely worth looking up the stuff he suggested

BTW, couldnt agree more with what Margio added- generals will drain your finances since their guards are paid a huge sum of cash. Best to not adopt anyone and maybe kill off a character now and then if they're not doing anything worth how much they cost. In case you don't know how to check their upkeep (which I doubt) have the general leave a city, right click his unit card and look for a helmet icon on the left of his drop down scroll, it'll detail everything.

Also, he was absolutely right about the new buildings (metal trading, horses, burials etc) although there are several "tiers" to them they are initally cheap and an instant build, and can all help you out, regardless of what you need; some increase send your income through the roof, others improve public. I built several horse traders and metal traders all over my empire and in one turn made an extra 7k due to the revenue coming in through. Well worth getting them and expanding them, since they have several levels of advancement.

Another of his points I want to talk about his mention of spies. He's absolutely right here; spies are the be-all and end-all of (my) gameplay. I use them for two main jobs. 1 is that I have them infiltrate cities to open the gate when I lay siege, and, since it tends to work, I take the cities on the very turn I besiege them, a great tactic if time is of the essence. The other task I put them to doing is scouting out my borders. Send them out on roads leading to your frontier settlements and find the "sweet spot" (an area from where they reveal a large portion of the region) and you can normally see enemy armies before they can besiege your city, allowing you to recruit men in time. On the flipside of the coin, being able to see whether or not there are hostile forces near a settlement allows you to disband epensive units if it's safe, and, if they have a 0 turn recruitment, you can instantly bolster the settlement if you spot an incoming army! This way you can save money and frustration, I strongly suggest it.

All great points laid out by Margio there, just thought I should expand on some of them as they're well worth employing. Good luck and be sure to post a few pics of how things are going!