View Poll Results: What story makes you want to charge their author and hug him?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • How the Hundred Years War was Lost

2 18.18%
  • TO ADMIRE

1 9.09%
  • A CHARGE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

0 0%
  • The Old Forest

1 9.09%
  • CELLOPHANE KNIGHTS

2 18.18%
  • Now that is much better

2 18.18%
  • Dew on the Morning Grass

3 27.27%

Thread: Tale of the Week 12 - The Vote

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tale of the Week 12 - The Vote

With the morning comes a hard decision..

Read the stories here .

Vote, but discuss first and foremost.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

I would be very pleased if the more experienced TotW writers ( Juvenal, Pontifex etc... ) posted a small statement to each story,
    giving advice or just commenting it !

Last edited by molls; November 03, 2008 at 04:04 AM.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Re: Tale of the Week 12 - The Vote

Ooh another hidden vote. Voted
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Hector Barbossa's Avatar Avast Ye Lubbers

Some good stories here was a difficult choice but after much deliberation have now voted.

haha before you start to think that it's time to be lame now, the votes are still public, for me all the time and for you after 1 weeks time.

edit:

Voted for "Now that is much better" mainly because this comes close to my style and the built of the story was very good.
    At first you are like "Yeah and? gimme details, whats this about" and in the end "hah great idea, I didn't think of that"!

The last paragraph really had me!
    Last edited by molls; November 03, 2008 at 08:14 AM.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Here is my attempt at criticism. The stories are all good and my suggestions are only intended to help improve the writing. Please feel free to ignore them. I haven't criticised my own story, I'll leave that to others.

Dew on the Morning Grass
    Creates a strong sense of place. Convinces the reader that the events described represent some cusp or turning point of great importance. Nice metaphors, good closure with the final metaphor referencing the title.

Suggested improvements. There is a typo (shinning) and some awkward word choices (can a sound be "mighty"?), mixed singular/plural ("grabbed a sword and awaited their death"), perhaps a missing word (their stakes prepared and facing... ).

Now That is Much Better
    Good comedy. The punchline was not telegraphed so it was a nice fresh surprise right at the end of the story.

Suggested improvements. Quotation marks are not required between sentences, only when speech starts/stops or at end of paragraph. Inappropriate capitalisation ("kept their Armour and their weapons"). Some words in para 2 are overused: "rehearsed" "speech" "speech" "indeed" "rehearsing" "mind" "mind" "indeed". What happens is that the repetition gives the word more emphasis in the reader's mind than the author intended (unless this has been done deliberately).

Cellophane Knights
    A nice piece of reportage, and a fresh interpretation of the picture as film-making.

Suggested improvements. Use quotation marks for speech. The French for Zebra is "Zebré". Inconsistent tenses - "He was called" is followed by "he ventured into", I think it should be "he had ventured into". Inconsistent plurals - "hasbeen waitresses" then "with a cleavage".

The Old Forest
    A haunting tale featuring a great variety of sounds and descriptions of the application of various weapons. I liked the idea of making the forest itself the observer of the action. Very good closing line.

Suggested improvements. "heard over the leaves" should be "heard over the sound of the leaves". "unhuman" should be "inhuman". Need to decide which "knocked" to keep in "green leaf was knocked delicately knocked off it's branch".

A Charge of Righteousness
    A charming soliloquy of a Knight about to face battle. The context and backstory are neatly conveyed by the Knight's thoughts, and the story ends with the action about to commence, encouraging the reader to continue the action in their own thoughts.

Suggested improvements. "Their armour shiny" new sentence not needed here. "their beautiful colours, blue and white, matches"- should be "match". The phrase "to repay this insult of landing an army on our lands in kind" would read better as "to repay in kind this insult of landing an army on our lands".

To Admire
    A rather elegiac tale of brave men going to their deaths, delivered in the present tense. Some adventurous use of word order. It conveys the solemnity of the moment very well. Successful use of repeated words for emphasis and rhythm.

Suggested improvements. "The trees blow in the wind" would be better as "The trees sway in the wind". "With a final act of bravery, " doesn't work because there weren't any preceding acts described. I would suggest something like "As if to mark the point of no-return".
    Last edited by Juvenal; November 03, 2008 at 01:56 PM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Amazing!

Great Post.

If that doesn't consume too much of your time, I would like you to do this every week. (humble me )

This is professional man!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    The Old Forest
    A haunting tale featuring a great variety of sounds and descriptions of the application of various weapons. I liked the idea of making the forest itself the observer of the action. Very good closing line.

Suggested improvements. "heard over the leaves" should be "heard over the sound of the leaves". "unhuman" should be "inhuman". Need to decide which "knocked" to keep in "green leaf was knocked delicately knocked off it's branch".
    Thanks for that.

What a silly mistake I made with "Knocked" ah well, if ever there was proof of the power of proofreading.

This story was fun to write, great picture this week.

Great post, Juvenal +rep.

Thanks for the feedback and the advice. Looks like it doesn't matter how many times do I scan the text for typos, some always remain.

About La Zebra: I was having fun with an anagram maker, and found "La Zebra" the funniest one made from [user]Elzabar[/user]; and I used this name to my story. Although I should have corrected it later. :hmmm:

I encourage you to share your opinion every time like this. So thanks.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 05, 2008 at 05:33 AM.

Sorry that I couldn't post my tale this week, I had two very large assignments to do in a very short period of time. I'll still review some however Juvenal has already done this.

Dew on the Morning Grass
    Nice story, I could feel a real sense of the scots final hours. This part really gave me a beautiful image in my head, "The morning was cold. The Scots fumbled, their hands numb, as they tried to turn their formations and ready their spears. Men dropped the wooden poles. Others slipped on the wet morning grass. But up ahead, charging down the small hill to meet them, the English lions ran magnificently." However you added to many commas and full stops which were not needed and could've easily been replaced by a joining word.

Now that is much better
    A pickle of a story with interesting comedy tangled upon it. I've picked up a few more things Juvenal hasn't which I think could be improved. Firstly you should add a space between words full stops and the starting of a new sentence, ie: "sunshine.Suddenly" to "sunshine. Suddenly" which gives it a more professional look to it. The single word 'I' should of been a capital in order to, once again make your story have a more professional look to it. Another thing which is optional would the the colouring of your words. I would personally keep it at one single colour as it creates an ugly look (my point of view) to the text which makes me dislike the story more. Nonethelss a really good story!

CELLOPHANE KNIGHTS
    I loved this story like a mother loves his child. The vast jokes and great titles gave me a giant smile as I read it. Great take on the story. All the improvements have been said by Juvenal, I need not say anymore about this great tale but shtick mate!

The Old Forest

Another excellent story, very descriptive and a different view to the picture. I think you 'may' not get as many votes as it should, not on your writing skills by the dull title which I barely could see, maybe try and livin' it up? Keep your awesomenessism writin' skillz upz!

A CHARGE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
    Good take on a first person view of the story with the reader wanting to know what happens next. All the improvements were covered by Juvenal already, just follow his advice and you'll be writing like a pro.

TO ADMIRE
    Beautiful story, passion and bravery all wrapped into one. I loved how you constantly reminded the reader that the men were brave in what they were doing, heroic in there task ahead of them, great story.

How the Hundred Years War was Lost
    Hilarious, just hilarious! I don't really care what you had wrong, I just loved it to much. Ending sentence was great. I'm still grinning.

After I read all these my head spun crazily. I don't know who to vote for! All of them were great! Should I go with comedy or drama? To hard to choose! I have a think about this.

~Sensi
    Last edited by Sensi Karate; November 04, 2008 at 02:24 AM.
    l My Photobucket l My New, Hot Profile l My Signature Gallery l
    "What always staggers me is that when people blow their noses, they always look into their hankies to see what came out. What do they expect to find?"- Billy Connolly.
    - Been creating Signatures since '06 -

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

I just applied the checks I use for my own writing. Problem is, you rapidly get to a point where the criticism becomes subjective, so I tried to stop there.

The most useful course I ever attended was a business writing course. It taught me to always proof-read, and to actively look for redundant words (removing words can actually make a sentence clearer). I have found these habits just as useful for stories as for reports.

Of course, all the rules can be broken, provided it is intentional.

Thanks everyone for taking my comments with good grace.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 06, 2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: quote and response to deleted post removed
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

hmmmmmz come on 8 votes until now...

but what I see looks veeeery good and balanced

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

A Charge of Righteousness
    A charming soliloquy of a Knight about to face battle. The context and backstory are neatly conveyed by the Knight's thoughts, and the story ends with the action about to commence, encouraging the reader to continue the action in their own thoughts.

Suggested improvements. "Their armour shiny" new sentence not needed here. "their beautiful colours, blue and white, matches"- should be "match". The phrase "to repay this insult of landing an army on our lands in kind" would read better as "to repay in kind this insult of landing an army on our lands".
    Very good criticism. I could not agree more. Thanks, Juvenal!

I actually broke my choosing down into stages. First I tried to remember the stories to see which ones stuck in my brain the most. Then I read the stories, rating them in my brain on the overview. Then finally, with the remainding ones left I did the most hard stage of all, ennie, meanie, minne, mo! I finally choose one, which was very good, so I'm happy.

~Sensi
    l My Photobucket l My New, Hot Profile l My Signature Gallery l
    "What always staggers me is that when people blow their noses, they always look into their hankies to see what came out. What do they expect to find?"- Billy Connolly.
    - Been creating Signatures since '06 -

listen up! small hint...

Last edited by molls; November 06, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

What?

Thats the votes until now, 1 story with 3, 3 Stories with 2, 2 stories with 1 and one single zero