Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauls obsolete?

Njord's Avatar Civis

Default Gauls obsolete?

I'm new to online play as of today, I was inspired to come on by the PrinceofMacedon's and Cluny The Scourges commentary videos.

First few battles went well, most likely because my opponents couldn't tell their elbows from their arses. When I started playing more experienced players(along with more cheesier variation of players, such as the noobbox formation, spartan corner camping) I noticed that Gaul are seriously lacking in some match ups. Mostly cavalry heavy and long ranged archer orientated armies. (Egypt, Rome, Macedonia, Germanic gothic cavalry heavy armies..)

Am I doing something wrong? Or are my warbands and nobles actually meant to stand up to a 5/6 unit praetorian cavalry charge?

=/

I only wonder if Gauls are obsolete because Germania seemingly can do all that Gaul can, with a more demoralizing effect, Phalanxes, better infantry melee and much sturdier cavalry.

Oh, by the way, Greetings and salutations. I'm Njord, more commonly known as Loki and I hail from Ireland.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: Gauls obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Njord View Post
    I'm new to online play as of today, I was inspired to come on by the PrinceofMacedon's and Cluny The Scourges commentary videos.
    There's actually quite a few R:TW videos now with commentary. I was the first one though, and I'm glad many have followed.

In any case, I have several videos of myself winning as Gaul.

But the problem with Gaul is that the game designers completely underestimated their abilities (historically-speaking). So yes, Gaul and Spain share a similar fate online. Gaul is worse off than Spain though.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 02, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Njord's Avatar Civis

I've seen them, the one vs the Julli roman wasn't that cavalry heavy and allowed you to overwhelm him, No idea how you pulled the Macedonian win off though, that noobbox was horrendous.

I agree, I think I'll play them sparingly. xD

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Yeah, CA made the Gauls truly understrength along with the Iberians. The mod Roma Surrectum balances them with the other factions so much better, but it's a pity RS cannot be played on multiplayer.

I've seen them, the one vs the Julli roman wasn't that cavalry heavy and allowed you to overwhelm him, No idea how you pulled the Macedonian win off though, that noobbox was horrendous.

I agree, I think I'll play them sparingly. xD
    So you also saw the ones I won against Parthia and Spain as well?

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Since Foresters are the Gauls' only real advantage, it's such a shame that Creative Assembly bungled their balancing by making them so monstrously expensive. They're worth about the same as a unit of Cataphracts, which is insane. If they were about 600-700 denarii, perhaps the Gauls would be more viable.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny the Scourge View Post
    Since Foresters are the Gauls' only real advantage, it's such a shame that Creative Assembly bungled their balancing by making them so monstrously expensive. They're worth about the same as a unit of Cataphracts, which is insane. If they were about 600-700 denarii, perhaps the Gauls would be more viable.
    agree 100% only other problem with the gauls it's no use having the best archers in the game if you have nothing much to defend them with

germany are good, but i truely hate gaul, spain arent so bad in my opinion though my usual tactics depending on the rules are

germany with ambushes
    pontus with phxlanx and loads of chariot archers (if rules allow it)
    scythia loads of chosen foot archers and HA's, scythian nobles
    armenia loads of cataphracts + archers and versatile inf

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

First few battles went well, most likely because my opponents couldn't tell their elbows from their arses. When I started playing more experienced players(along with more cheesier variation of players, such as the noobbox formation, spartan corner camping) I noticed that Gaul are seriously lacking in some match ups. Mostly cavalry heavy and long ranged archer orientated armies. (Egypt, Rome, Macedonia, Germanic gothic cavalry heavy armies..)

Am I doing something wrong? Or are my warbands and nobles actually meant to stand up to a 5/6 unit praetorian cavalry charge?

=/

I only wonder if Gauls are obsolete because Germania seemingly can do all that Gaul can, with a more demoralizing effect, Phalanxes, better infantry melee and much sturdier cavalry.

Oh, by the way, Greetings and salutations. I'm Njord, more commonly known as Loki and I hail from Ireland.
    I just love when a player make a noob box, because those players normally invest in phalanx unit, so it's so easy to take down a nob box. Missile superiority normally is what you need to weaken the that formation, then you can use a few good heavy cavalry and infantry units to hit the weak points of the box and it will be over for the noob.
    Corner camping is worse, but you can always go take a snack or see some TV, while the other player waits and waits and waits for you.

Gaul it's really a weak faction to play online, I used it a few times once and I regretted using the Gauls in the majority of those online battles. The only good unit that Gaul have, the Forresters, are way to expensive to be of any use. Legionaires can slaughter your infantry, phalanx are almost imune to your infantry attacks.
    Catas, Companions, Praetorian Cavalry, Sacred Band Cavalry ,..., all of these units can take out your cavalry.
    Beside Forresters you dont have any decent ranged unit, so a few horse archers or chariot archers in cantabrian circle combined with normal archers can take out your Forresters, a few cataphracts are able to open a huge hole in your formation in their way to take down your Forresters, or the enemy cav can take out your cav and then flank your army to take out your Forrester while your infantry is being slaughter by the enemy infantry.

CA did a really poor job with the Gauls

Gaul needs units to protect the Foresters and then they would be pertty fine skirmishing faction. But for now they are very weak and that is the reason why they are not used freqently.

Last night, I had a nice game Britons vs Gauls (I know britons are far superior than Gaul but the player chosed them after me.) I had 6 heavy chariots, 2 chariot archers, 6 slingers and 6 head hurlers. When the game began, He didnt move his army then I thought I had Foresters and dont want to make visible. Then, I moved my chariot archers and targetted his cavalry (He had 5 generals bodyguards) . He attacked my chariot archers with his cavalry and I easily cut them down.

After this point, he moved his entire army to my main line, and there was no Foresters. I was suprised. While he approaches, my sligers started to shower them with stones..Then, Gaul infanrty become tough box and I used had hurlers and expected a mass rout. However, Gauls stood their ground. While head hurlers fireing, I charged with all my chariots to rout them all. But again they stood their groud! While I triying to pull back my cavalry I lost my general (Chariot generals are hard to manage, you know) and most of my chariots.

But since he had lack of cavalry, he couldnt catch my slingers and head hurlers. I shoot them all while he trying to catch them with infantry.

Indefinitely Banned

You can win with the Gauls on RTW MP, it is just very hard to do so.

Njord's Avatar Civis

Aye, we are aware how difficult it is to win with them, it's why I ask the question of them being obsolete.

I thought they'd be useful in a low denarii battle, oh lord, how wrong was I. In a low denarii battle, you can maybe afford one unit of archers, your only other alternative is skirmishers. And lulz to that against Numidians and Romans.

I did manage some snazzy warcry and druid chanting action though against Rome, followed by cycle charges with a single barbarian cavalry unit.

I'm sure I heard the retreating praetorians say;

"wait, wut?"

Quote Originally Posted by zedestroyer View Post
    I just love when a player make a noob box, because those players normally invest in phalanx unit, so it's so easy to take down a nob box. Missile superiority normally is what you need to weaken the that formation, then you can use a few good heavy cavalry and infantry units to hit the weak points of the box and it will be over for the noob.
    Here are some voice-commentated battle-video related thoughts on the NooB box as an opening strategy.

Watch on High Quality only.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Awld5acGIgU
    Last edited by Cluny the Scourge; November 09, 2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

king-nord's Avatar Ordinarius

Honestly guals are obsolete, despite what anyone says, sure you might be able to get a win with them but it's rare.

Now germania is a better faction gothic cav are almsot as good as preatoria cav.

Team Paullus

i defeated a noob box of spartans with spain on one fight, i think thats evidence that they dont work

Quote Originally Posted by zombie smuggler View Post
    i defeated a noob box of spartans with spain on one fight, i think thats evidence that they dont work
    I defeated Egypt with Spain a few times (even with Gaul), but that doesn't mean anything. It means my tactics worked, and my opponent's tactics malfunctioned.

Njord's Avatar Civis

Good tactics are always a plus, your reaction time and ability to adapt are the true key of being good at this game though.

A lot of players get a tactic into their head and are unable to adapt when their enemy reacts to it and makes the tactic obsolete.

Anyway, saying that good reaction and tactics aren't all there is to winning, Gaul is at a sheer disadvantage when you are playing an opponent of equal or greater skill.

"Tactics" just means the techniques used for fighting (which encompasses battlefield maneuvers, micro ability, etc).

In any case, I was responding to Zombie_Smuggler who stated that because he beat a Noob Box as Spain, that it was somehow proof that the Noob Box doesn't work.
    Good tactics are always a plus, your reaction time and ability to adapt are the true key of being good at this game though.
    Thanks, man, I appreciate that. My micro reflexes were poor in Starcraft, but they serve me well in this game.

Njord's Avatar Civis

Aye I know, I found with myself that fps is the easiest genre to get good at, rts is a close second, as it's just a matter of micro and a general understanding of a counter system and macro management.

This is a whole new ball game, my micro from dawn of war isn't worth anything here, as there is a much slower cursor in this game, your commanding and overseeing less units, but your units aren't expendable in most cases.

Then you have to throw in the stats, how deep your ranks need to be to withstand a charge, if that hill will make you lose the battle, etc.

So many variable and randomness here. It's hard to predict and only comes with time playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast