Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Being a Villain in Fallout 3 is depressing.

Default Being a Villain in Fallout 3 is depressing.

SPOILERS

I don't feel like wrapping my entire post in spoiler tags, so if you scroll down, you accept that you've seen nearly all of it, or don't mind some spoiling.

-
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _

Being a villain in Fallout 3 is depressing.

Not because it doesn't give you enough options, or because I have a problem with the design, but because it succeeds so well at having 'cool evil' and 'depressing, scum evil.' On one hand, I nuke an entire town, be a contract killer, and be a cannibal! Wow, nice. (Along with plenty of other stuff.)

On the other hand, I just lured an innocent little girl out of one of the last refuges of safety in the wasteland under the guise of "You're a big grown girl!" only to have her carried off by a creepy child slaver. It broke my heart. I'd rather just shoot the obnoxious brats dead like the mayor than suffer through that. ='(

The metal hat, heavy swearing, assault rifle weilding punk almost has it coming, but the pink pajamas wearing little sweet heart gets it worse than any kid in the game.

There are also some other moments that seemed very lowly and made me regret my decision afterwards. I think the game has a dillema where the really violent evil acts are cool, and make your bad character seem, well, badass, whilst the sneakier, underhanded, cruel type of choices make you have a moral epiphany.

I'll be saving this level 18 uber evil character for more fun as a badass later on, but for now I'll be creating a very righteous, and nearly as badass, good guy to redeem my utter destruction of all things kind and human. Pretty much I'll be going from Satan with a mohawk, to Dr. Jesus with a gatling laser.

Default Re: Being a Villain in Fallout 3 is depressing.

I felt kinda guilty after rescuing Red, only to enslave her as soon as she got back. Other than that, I'm a hard ass mofo.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

You know, I have to admit that I find myself having a hard time trying to be bad. I mean, I can see the appeal, but for some reason my hand always moves my mouse towards the 'good' conversation options and the good missions.. Yeah, I know; it's soft.. But hey; I can't help it!

Maybe on my next run through the game.. (Not that I've finished it yet.. Still playing and enjoying it!)

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

I always play bad first, so that I can cleanse my soul by doing the good deeds after the fact, not doing the good, and then dirtying it by being bad.

By the way you describe it, when you play bad, you'll definitely run across some situations that will just be unacceptable for you. I love playing evil, but there were a couple spots that were hard to swallow.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Its perfectly right.
    Evil things like raping, kidnapping children are not funny and cool.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

How about... Being the kickass mofo that doesn't mess with kids? Seriously, if you can't accept certain 'evil' things. Just don't do em. I'm sure you can murder someone to make up the difference.

Trying to be neutral is HARD.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Well, I called myself getting back at all those rude punks in lamp light, but it was probably the opposite in the end.

Being neutral does save you from putting about 30 skill points in speech though!

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Gotta love the...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Whole Tranquility Lane episode.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

In role playing games I play immersed, and act as myself...khmm...maybe a bit tougher than myself
    Its ok to kick some ass, especially if they have big mouth, but c'mn luring a pink pijama wearer little girl into the Wasteland to sell her as a slave?

Such people who do this deserve to end up on a pike.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

I decided that my next character would litterally be Jesus. I was inspired by him starting out as 'Baby Jesus' and then growing up to be Jesus, and then sacrificing his life (spoylerz).

I just haven't decided whether he will turn the other cheek and attempt to talk his way through everything non-violently, or if he will use a gatling laser.

EDIT: He'll always try to talk to a peaceful solution, but if that doesn't work out... gatling laser.
    Last edited by Kennylz; November 02, 2008 at 05:11 PM.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    Gotta love the...

Whole Tranquility Lane episode.
    No kidding.
    I ended up doing all the deeds because I was afraid of actually killing them instead of just virtually would be far far worse for my karma.
    But I knew it would still my karma so I was really kicking myself while doing it

I loved that bit, I cut up all the bodies as much as possible and placed bits and pieces all over the place. I'm not one to pass up a bit of free carnage

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

I must've missed a whole bunch in that thing... Because I played with the random objects around the first building I went inside and found a computer and everyone died a few minutes later
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

must've missed a whole bunch in that thing... Because I played with the random objects around the first building I went inside and found a computer and everyone died a few minutes later
    If you want to know the story
    hes stansalius braun, He worked on the garden of eden creation kit, your dad wanted to find him and braun turned him into a dog. Hes also sadistic and spends his spare time masquerading as a little girl called betty

Youd basically condemned him to hell because he has noone to torture.

: He'll always try to talk to a peaceful solution, but if that doesn't work out... gatling laser.
    Hell i didnt find that gun until level 15 or 16. and its horribly painful finding enough ammo for it. Way better then the minigun but the same ammo problem
    great for mowing down unarmored raiders though.
    Last edited by roy34543; November 02, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Well, he of course won't just use the gatling laser exclusively. Big Guns in general. I have to admit, I just started a game with him and am doing Megaton quests. I didn't want to power game this one, so it is very hard so far. He is wearing pre-war casual wear, and is using an assault rifle with low skill, but once he kills his first mini-gun mutants he's going to be very dangerous before most characters.

Oh, by the way, his name is "Jesus White." He's a visual mix between a suburban dad and anglo-Jesus. He wants to bring the peace of god and freedom to every good soul in the wasteland, but still has the fanatic love of huge guns possessed by all white-bread American males. He's also a doctor, cuz Jezuz gotta put dem hands on ya, yo!

Very fun so far. Btw, took the daddy's boy perk. Immaculate conception for the win.

IM OUT LOOKING FOR JOSEPH.

That little pajama wearing girl was so cute. I was nice to send her to Paradise Falls, she went to a nice home where she'd be safe and wouldn't have to worry about going to Big Town and getting screwed over by life.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Well, I never really thought about that... I had massacred big town about 5 hours earlier. Wouldn't have been much for her except giant radscorpions once she was kicked out.

You know, graphics do add much more emotions into your decisions. I mean in Fallout 1 and 2 the graphics are so garbage that you can kill countless little children without much remorse but in today's games where the characters look much more real and show visible emotions its harder to be evil.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Dreiko's Avatar Tiro

Well to be frank in an RPG i..... Role Play.....

When i play evil i am evil. So what i lured a girl out to slavery.... the money was good.

I see those games that make me (or give me a choice to) do evil acts as letting out some steam. I would never do these things in life, but now i have allready "done" them once, all the less chance to do them again (excluding i rerun the same game.....)

gambit's Avatar Gorak

When I play evil, I usually play a more neutral-evil guy. In the sense he's more than willing to screw you over, or leave a dying prisoner to his/her fate; but he's not nuke a town and then rape a little girl evil. That's just ed up.

I WILL be that evil though, when I make my crazy melee weapons wielding cannibal with nothing but strength, endurance and agil. GRR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast