Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turns Per Year?

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Default Turns Per Year?

I realise that this has probably been mentioned beofre but I don't have the time to sift through your preview for the second time (amazing as it is!). So, how many tpy are you guys gonna have? Please, please, please refrain from making it 4tpy! While it is more realistic it would take 50 turns to make it into the 12th century which is crazy. I could cope with 2tpy, although it would still be a really long campaign.

Cheers

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Turns Per Year?

i think it's 2 turns per year.

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

2 turn per year is awesome.

Prefer 4tpy as it is more realistic, and because I really enjoy longer campaigns(Which I thought was this mods focus?). Was one of my favorite features in EB.
    However, I could just change it myself after the release anyway, so no hard feelings.

4 ttpy is good too. But I'm happy that this mod is compromising for 2 tp instead of 1!

McMarx's Avatar Libertus

4 turns per year would make it much longer and add realism which is the goal of the mod.
    Also... ( as I wrote in another thread) The sieges would be closer to realism. Siege a city for 4 turns and you've sieged it for a year.
    It would get long... but will probably be harder, with slower expansion (in general).
    I say give 4 turns per year a chance... you might not notice.
    (That's if they make it 4tpy)

No, 4 turns would be a killer ... I think, somewhere Hross already said that it will be 2tpy, correct me i I'm wrong.

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by true born Lithuanian View Post
    No, 4 turns would be a killer ... I think, somewhere Hross already said that it will be 2tpy, correct me i I'm wrong.
    second that. even SS plays very slow with 2tpy, so 4tpy is realy not the best option, if you don't want to spend 40 minutes for 1 year (4turns)

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos View Post
    second that. even SS plays very slow with 2tpy, so 4tpy is realy not the best option, if you don't want to spend 40 minutes for 1 year (4turns)
    You count 10 mins per turn? That seems right to me only if you have a larger empire, or maybe I just think time fly by so fast when I'm playing. Which by the way is the reason I want 4tpy... Wait a min.

What I mean is that i nearly never finish a campaign anyway, not because I grow tired(with exceptions), but because victory doesn't interest me. For me, the road is the goal, sorta speak.

If I've seen DotS in the right light, every turn is going to be very interesting. Which is why I honestly don't see why less turns are better. Sure, you reach the better units faster, but the way I see it, you will get there anyway. Or maybe that's just me.

McMarx's Avatar Libertus

I honestly don't mind it being 2 tpy. All I'm trying to say is that this mod is going for a different approach and that 4 turns might not be a bad thing. The 2 tpy doesn't necessarily apply to all mods. Some work better with longer more turns in a year. Also, certain realism aspects will be lost in making it 2 tpy.

1 is too short
    2 is probably the best
    4 is probably too long
    What about 3 turns? Seems reasonable. The middle turn could be one of the two seasons. This would create longer harsher winter aspect in some years.

In the end, I trust the modders have made the right choice. If they chose 2, it must have been for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by McMarx View Post
    In the end, I trust the modders have made the right choice. If they chose 2, it must have been for a good reason.
    Just discussing, just discussing...

Then again, 3 turns is just uneven, 2 or 4 turns is really easy to play with because you can easily find out how much time has actually gone by. Look at your turns, divide that by two or 4, and you have the number of years. Or you can look at the year and subtract by the starting date, but that's too much.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RPK View Post
    You count 10 mins per turn? That seems right to me only if you have a larger empire, or maybe I just think time fly by so fast when I'm playing. Which by the way is the reason I want 4tpy... Wait a min.
    I sometimes spend 20 min on a turn - not issuing orders, but just looking at the general state of my empire, checking up on my allies, and analyzing faction stats. I would never be able to finish 4TPY. I guess it all comes down to playing style and personal preferences. In any case, it's easy to change the TPY (or YPT, if you prefer ).

Dominion of the Sword, a Medieval II: Total War Supermod
    Under the patronage of Archaon. Proud member of the House of Siblesz
    My friend died from chain letters. If you don't post this again 100 times, he will come and kill you in your sleep!

McMarx's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by OdinX View Post
    Then again, 3 turns is just uneven, 2 or 4 turns is really easy to play with because you can easily find out how much time has actually gone by. Look at your turns, divide that by two or 4, and you have the number of years. Or you can look at the year and subtract by the starting date, but that's too much.
    I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but I was thinking monthly. I separated the 12 months into three. Rather than have the year divided in half, we'd have a third variable season.

I'm not sure if that's possible.:hmmm:
    1 turn = 0.333...

Meh... Wouldn't work in the end.
    Last edited by McMarx; November 04, 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Azim View Post
    I sometimes spend 20 min on a turn - not issuing orders, but just looking at the general state of my empire, checking up on my allies, and analyzing faction stats. I would never be able to finish 4TPY. I guess it all comes down to playing style and personal preferences. In any case, it's easy to change the TPY (or YPT, if you prefer ).
    Well, me too actually. But like I said I rarely play to win.

Well, me too actually. But like I said I rarely play to win.
    Same here. I like the struggle and management!

Senator

imo, 2 turns per year is the perfect balance

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    imo, 2 turns per year is the perfect balance
    Yeah, on a second thought, I remembered characters aged according to 2tpy, so that would probably be optimal.

Yeah, on a second thought, I remembered characters aged according to 2tpy, so that would probably be optimal.
    And that is the other main reason behind it. Strangely the game is balanced and hardcoded for 2 turns per year. Aging, seasons, movement, timeframe - everything seems to fit. Only mystery is why vanilla used 2 years per year... characters lived like 200 years

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    And that is the other main reason behind it. Strangely the game is balanced and hardcoded for 2 turns per year. Aging, seasons, movement, timeframe - everything seems to fit. Only mystery is why vanilla used 2 years per year... characters lived like 200 years
    Maybe they did a typo when writing the timescale?
    "Oh, 2.0 doesn't mean 2 turns per year? But we have already made all our copies for release!"

Hehehehehehe...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast