Thread: Sassinids/Sughdian Warrior

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Sassinids/Sughdian Warrior

I am currently researching the “Sughdian Warrior”. It is a unit of heavy infantry armed with maces in the Barbarian Expansion pack belonging to the Sassinid Empire.

It’s easy finding stuff on the Sassinid Empire but not the Sughdian Warriors.

The only thing that comes close to a reference from Wikipedia, “The Daylam and Sogdiana provinces of the empire in particular were famous for providing high-quality foot soldiers.”

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JackDionne; November 02, 2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelt name of warrior wrong in title
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Default Re: Sassinids/Sughian Warrior

And since when do the Sassanids or sughdian warriors have something to do with a game that deals with 18th century. I'm sure there are more appropiate parts of this site you can post this and probably a mod will come down and move it there. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but you should really look around more before posting something.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Sassinids/Sughian Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Brammius View Post
    And since when do the Sassanids or sughdian warriors have something to do with a game that deals with 18th century. I'm sure there are more appropiate parts of this site you can post this and probably a mod will come down and move it there. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but you should really look around more before posting something.
    Being new to the forum this is the only sub forum I can find. If there is another sub forum on Historical research please stear me in that direction.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Default Re: Sassinids/Sughdian Warrior

I guess you would get some answers here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 or just in the Rome total war forums.

I found some information about the so-called Sughdian Warriors in http://dc.library.okstate.edu/utils/getfile/collection/theses/id/3315/filename/3316.pdf in page 16, Chapter II Heraclius’ strategy and the composition of Byzantine and Sassanid armies.

Hope you guys like it.

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by The Crooked Philosopher View Post
    I found some information about the so-called Sughdian Warriors in http://dc.library.okstate.edu/utils/getfile/collection/theses/id/3315/filename/3316.pdf in page 16, Chapter II Heraclius’ strategy and the composition of Byzantine and Sassanid armies.

Hope you guys like it.
    A lot of the information in Chapter II seems to be quite dated and much of it is probably not quite correct. I traced down a few of the references and the article which was cited about Sogdian infantry doesn't actually mention them at all. So I would not say that chapter is particularly well written.

There are two excellent sources for information on Sogdiana in the 6th - 8th Centuries:

Sogdian Painting: The Pictorial Epic in Oriental Art, by G Azarpay (1981)
    Металлические изделия раннесредневекового Согда., by VI Raspopova (1980).

Last edited by druzhina345; July 25, 2017 at 03:08 AM.