• Norwegian

7 1.23%
  • Yugoslavian

11 1.93%
  • French

11 1.93%
  • Greek

15 2.63%
Page 100 of 122 FirstFirst ... 507590919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2423

Thread: Who were the best soldier of ww2?

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Who were the best soldier of ww2?

I'm not taking POWs into the equation, but as the US never suffered such reversals such as Tobruk, Singapore or HongKong, even that number might be a lot lower.
    I agree with the rest of your post bar this bit.

The Japanese Invasion of the Phillipines.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

agreed, forget that (still had in the back of my head that the majority of forces were philippen rather than us, still, the us army still had 20'000 troops all told on the philippines). Thanks for reminding me.
    Neutral to the teeth.
    “'My country, right or wrong' is a thing no patriot would ever think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or sober.'”
    G.K. Chesterton

@Fritigern
    Maybe we should take the fact into account that the Wehrmacht was on the defensive from 1943 onwards, especially on the western fron.
    The german tanks could extract a high toll in the covered bocage landscape of normandy, but when on the attack (with some notable expetions like Villiers-Bocage, where even his superiors regarded Wittmans actions as foolhardy risky), they suffered higher losses as well.
    A tank in ambush, waiting for his shot has an advantage over the attacker, no matter the kind of tank the attacker is driving

A good point, but is based on a rather simplistic view of the way tank battles were fought. The tank battles were much more fluid in Normandy and elsewhere than might be thought from a high level perspective. To approximately quote one of the British commanders in Normandy - you could rely on the German counter-attack coming at the worst possible time.

Secondly the fighting in North Africa came up with a similar picture. The tank battles at El Alamein (Tel al aquia - not spelled right) show a similar picture - German tank crews significantly outperforming their British counterparts - despite the inferior tank designs plus the number of shooters effect (if I fire 3 shells from my 3 tanks and my oponent fires 10 shells from his 10 tanks - how much better do I need to be to maintain a sustainable ratio of losses?).

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBritannia View Post
    Tobruk was a decisive Australian victory...
    Fixed.

I still stand by my opinion that the Australian and Maori troops were the best fighting troops of WW2. Just by what has been said about them by some of the best Generals of that time.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Ex Tenebris Lux's Avatar Senator

interesting results so far in the poll. I especially like how people think the best soldiers are the ones who lost.
    I've been here the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Tenebris Lux View Post
    interesting results so far in the poll. I especially like how people think the best soldiers are the ones who lost.
    Remember it took the world to beat them.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Waffen SS troops were the best. Toughest troops the allies fought, the most fanatic, the most fearsome.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Fozdike View Post
    Remember it took the world to beat them.

that doesn't necesarily prove the calibre of the soldier

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

I still stand by my opinion that the Australian and Maori troops were the best fighting troops of WW2. Just by what has been said about them by some of the best Generals of that time.
    Well it's easy to say that if you disregard what's been said about other troops. I mean, plenty of other powers had their troops praised.

That would be relevant if this thread was about something like "the strongest country" but this refers to the best soldiers. For example, the Finns lost but they were able to repeatedly destroy Soviet armies that attempted to invade again and again and again and again without fail.

Waffen SS troops were the best. Toughest troops the allies fought, the most fanatic, the most fearsome.
    The earlier divisions were effective, but the later ones were just awful. You can't generalise the Waffen-SS, you need to take in to account all factors which will involve you having to disregard the popular perception you hold of them.

Interesting indeed. Its like saying Napoleon was the best leader in the Napoleonic Wars. Although everybody knows he lost. Twice!

my only issue is that I have a sneaky suspicion the American soldiers are being dismissed OUT OF HAND without due consideration at all. Because they are Americans, and for no other reason.

Mad respect to the first Euro with the balls to admit to that.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

my only issue is that I have a sneaky suspicion the American soldiers are being dismissed OUT OF HAND without due consideration at all. Because they are Americans, and for no other reason.

Well, even American scholars, after studying, says German soldiers are most effecient one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBritannia View Post
    To everyone saying America had the best troops, let me remind you of this: in less than 4 years, America suffered hundreds of thousands of more total casualties than Britain did, and American fought fewer battles than we did.

In Europe alone, if I remember correctly, total casualties (civilians, killed, wounded, and I think captured) for the Americans equalled around 1 million.
    You know, that explains it. That explains it.

You know, not all of us are here dismissing the American soldiers just because they're American. I dismiss them because of their proven poor combat performance, ineffective generals (except, maybe, for Patton), egotistic nature in the war, and by the fact they suffered heavier casualties in 3.5 years than the British did in the whole war.

The British were far better, and the Germans an innumerably amount of times better.

Saying that American soldiers were superior to German soldiers is just ridiculos, unless you mean the conscripts and militia sent to fight them in late 1944 and early 1945.

Don't worry, that suspicion is incorrect.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

You know, not all of us are here dismissing the American soldiers just because they're American. I dismiss them because of their proven poor combat performance, ineffective generals (except, maybe, for Patton), egotistic nature in the war, and by the fact they suffered heavier casualties in 3.5 years than the British did in the whole war.
    That is a silly statement - if for no other reson that the US moblized far larger military. Depending on how you tally millitrary deaths both nations suffered ~400,000 dead. Given that the UK was not significantly fighting (on the ground) much before the invasion of France , nor in Asia till late 41 using time is willfully misleading. You might as well argue that the UK had a better army because the Russians suffered more casualties in less time as well...

the Germans an innumerably amount of times better.
    Sure operationally German army doctrine - it terms of unit flexibility, managing replacements and such was excellent and it fact allowed Germany to compensate for a vast array of other deficiencies. But soldier is a broad term - certainly Germany was not so vastly great in the air or on the water. Moreover Germany had the luxury of fighting more or less only in Europe and only in a fraction of the world. The the US (and UK) had to fight all over and maintain vastly greater logistical networks - they could not for example mirror the German unit replaceable strategy because it would be logistical imposable while also sustaining LL to the UK and US, a vast naval effort and fielding new ground divisions...

German ground doctrine was 2 world wars in the making and based what over something close to 100 years of Germany maintaining a large standing army - the US was pulling a army out of its hat and had zero tradition of large scale army operations - without the luxury of just fighting in Europe and just close to home. The rep of the German army might be a bit less if the fiasco in waiting that was Sea Lion had been attempted for example.

Saying that American soldiers were superior to German soldiers is just ridiculos, unless you mean the conscripts and militia sent to fight them in late 1944 and early 1945.
    And that's the point - the US army was created from scratch expanded massively and thrown against a veteran force fighting exactly the kind of war it (the German army was designed for). Again chance the situation and I suspect Germany would have fared rather tying to manage amphibious operation in the Pacific at the drop of a hat.
    Last edited by conon394; May 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachus View Post
    The earlier divisions were effective, but the later ones were just awful. You can't generalise the Waffen-SS, you need to take in to account all factors which will involve you having to disregard the popular perception you hold of them.
    I thought the very earliest Waffen-SS divisions weren't too good either, as in they were suicidally fanatical to the point that it was a detriment to their combat effectiveness. So yeah you're absolutely right that we shouldn't generalise and should try to take into consideration all the factors involved. A signifigant factor for the relative success of Finland was not being between Berlin and the Red Army. Italians reportedly performed quite well under German leadership.

And then again, having the best soldiers doesn't mean much in a long war. The Germans propably had the best soldiers, and the Japanese initially had the best pilots and navy personnel. They were still doomed to lose in the face of greater industrial might.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

They were still doomed to lose in the face of greater industrial might.
    Not really - that is sort of after the fact analysis. Better politics (and particularity some kind of coordinated policy from Japan rather than dueling Arny and navy ambitions and lack of mutual support), better alliance management, less insane racial executions, better joint Axis cooperation, better manipulation of Western fear about reds, a bit less racial superiority and more rational examination of things like obvious intelligence failures, and more of all that on the allies side and the Axis could well have won
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Not really - that is sort of after the fact analysis. Better politics (and particularity some kind of coordinated policy from Japan rather than dueling Arny and navy ambitions and lack of mutual support), better alliance management, less insane racial executions, better joint Axis cooperation, better manipulation of Western fear about reds, a bit less racial superiority and more rational examination of things like obvious intelligence failures, and more of all that on the allies side and the Axis could well have won
    Yes it's a statement with the benefit of hindsight. But in the case of Imperial Japan, their war with the US was decided by the Navy, and in that department they were sure to loose. Japan could not keep up with the US in replenishing their losses and once they lost the upperhand in the Pacific, Japan could not supply its troops overseas well enough, nevermind that they never supplied them well enough in the first place. Also the Axis in Europe was damn inefficient in using the industrial capacity of the occupied regions, and the Nazi strategic planning was pretty much relying on their own propaganda being true.

Usually the scenarios where the Axis wins is dependant on the Axis doing all the right choices, and the Allies doing the wrong ones. That's not realistic in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Which is rather a lot of "better this and that" to explain how they "really had a shot".