Page 21 of 124 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 46 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: RotN Workshop: Units Previews and discussion

hæressiarch's Avatar ☢☠☣♈

Default Re: RotN Workshop: Units Previews and discussion

yeah... this symbol was desecrated in our modern history they have diferent meaning thanx to one mad guy and his followers...

okay. something form RotN units workshop.

CELTIBERIAN INFANTRY:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by hæressiarch; February 18, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    click?

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Hard looking bunch, haer.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

helmersen's Avatar Long live the King

The look strong

they are also taller than spaniards
    click?

Chloe's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Librarian Citizen Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

Fearsome Celtiberians!
    I want you all to know how beautiful you are. No body--and nobody--can ever change that fact, and no mirror will ever be able to truly reflect it. The world is a better place with you in it.
    I used to be Legio.

these are designed to be recruitable by carthage but i am waiting for pirates_say_arrgg - our carthaginian boetarch to accept/correct them. i will show you ones designed to serve in gaulic, roman and iberian armies. also mercenary celtiberians will apear in the game.

now i am working on gauls in carthaginian army. i have some idea about them from pirates, hamsha and books i had to swallow, but i still look for sth. to make them look entirely diferent when recrited by diferent factions. they require special dispensation i think
    click?

You're holding a carrot in front of a donkey's nose, haer, I am really excited to see them!
    I want you all to know how beautiful you are. No body--and nobody--can ever change that fact, and no mirror will ever be able to truly reflect it. The world is a better place with you in it.
    I used to be Legio.

i can tell you also that i am very very well educated about their body paintings and tatoos as well as scarifications. books from hamsha are really helpful. miss ethnologist is now very busy but i have her blessing to take care of this aspect of celtic war culture . i am drawing skirmisher's arm and torso right now
    click?

Salvor Hardin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by haeressiarch View Post
    they are also taller than spaniards
    That is because of the helmet

The unit looks fantastic, as usual, H. Nevertheless, I do not think that chainmail was very common in Ancient Spain. As far as I know, no remains of it have been found in Celtiberian or Iberian settlements. Another issue is that of Hannibal's mercenaries using Roman equipment after Trasimene and Cannae, of course.

@ Salvor Hardin

you are right about the armor Salvor. i was going to make them more celtic than iberian. this unit is still marked as "under construction" so if you have any sugestions go ahead . i still have pectorial and other stuff mounted on this model so there won't be a problem to change it . your opinion about them has great value

their height is not only the matter of their helmets. i've just made all celts taller than romans and iberians. celtiberians are somewhere between their heights.
    click?

Well, H., thanks for your vote of confidence. But I must confess that I have not a strong base to support my point of view:

In his book, Armas de Grecia y Roma: Forjaron la Historia de la Antiguedad Clasica, Fernando Quesada Sanz says about the famous vase ceramic from Liria (roughly translated from Spanish):

Probably depicts Iberian troops enrolled in the Carthaginian army or in the Roman, but it could also depict Roman soldiers disembarking in Iberia to fight against the Carthaginians, given the uniformity of weapons and their wearing scale or chainmail armour, which in Iberia were seldom used -there is not a single remain of Iberian or Celtiberian chainmail -.
    But in the same author's essay: ‘Not so different: individual fighting techniques and battle tactics of Roman and Iberian armies within the framework of warfare in the Hellenistic Age’, there is a table (in page 9)in which he writes that Celtiberian warriors might use chainmail occasionally.

So, in the end, I think that the unit might be historically accurate. Apart from your work being excellent.

That said, I strongly recommend you reading the article, that can be freely downloaded here:

http://www.ffil.uam.es/equus/warmas/online/online.html

I think that you will find it interesting, amusing and, hopefully, inspiring.

@ Salvor Hardin

thank you Salvor! you know how i love spanish language spanish sites are probably the best ones to gather info about weapons and armors, and not only of spanish origin. thanx alot again
    +RAPE
    click?

pirates_say_arrgg's Avatar Kitani

They look good, I personally like the sword and helmet the best.

Talking about weaponry...will we see any Spanish unit armed with soliferreum or falarica? Perhaps one of already projected units could be armed with one of those, instead of javelin.

@ Salvor Hardin

i will post some early designs as soon as possible (after adding all carthaginians to the game ) or i will ask hamsha to do so. Phalarica and saunion were most characteristic for iberians so we can't ignore them in RotN. i've made nice espasa model also. i will post those units (they are still in "under construction phase). it will be funny to show that the same model of celtiberian for iberians has pectoral, falcata and celtic spear

something new from carthaginian preview:

okay i've decided to upgrade five units with more details i hope you will like new arrows in quivers (?) sorry i have bad english

i've replaced standard alpha channel texture maps for arrows with true 3D models. they look good in the game enviroment

i think that each archer unit will have this upgrade... (that means more work...)
    Last edited by hæressiarch; February 18, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    click?

some screenies from what i am doing now... it is harder than modelling and texturing for me...

placing UI cards, adding descriptions and setting recruitment limitations... (ror) it's fun but takes a lot of time.

cheers all!
    Last edited by hæressiarch; February 18, 2009 at 06:01 PM.
    click?

Mathais's Avatar Hastatas Posterior

Nice screenies haer! I love the look your doing with the back grounds very nice idea.

@ Mathais

thank you i hope that you will like our loooong units descriptions too
    click?

OMG haer ty jestes fantastyczny!
    You are fantastic, and I love the unit info!
    I used to be Legio.

peanut's Avatar Wimmer

Very nice Celtiberian, Excellent Bowmen and really cool Units Cards. You are doing great work guys!

sa-nata-a-na

Thread Information