Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: GRAND PREVIEW

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Re: Announcing: Dominion of the Sword supermod

Well, we are taking out so many of the low level priest agents. There will only be Bishops etc in the mod. Therefore, buildings need to be better at spreading religion. Because of the cultural complexities that we want to relfect, especially with features like Dual Faith then I imagine it will be difficult to wipe out religions. We will need to check that in testing and it will probably need a few tweaks before we get it right.

Sounds like both an ambitious and interesting Mod, though without a playable Irish faction I do have to say I will have to weigh that heavily against the pluses of this mod. Sorry, but to my Irish mind, a mod that includes Europe must include an Irish faction.

I wish you luck, though. Looks like a great mod in the making.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Indefinitely Banned

Nice plans, I'm wondering, how far is it into development?

P.S. From Wiki:

From year 880 until 1169 Kiev was the capital of the principal East-Slavic state, known as Kievan Rus' (or Kyivan Rus') which was ruled by initially Varangian Rurikid dynasty which was gradually Slavisized.

There was no state called Principality of Kiev in 1080 - that year Kiev was still the capital of Kievan Rus'.
    Last edited by Echad; December 20, 2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: P.S.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

That's what the Principality of Kiev is. A principality, based around-- anyone? Kiev. What people were the ruling elite? The Rus of Kiev.
    That's like me saying the Genoan Italians. It is redundant.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IrAr View Post
    That's what the Principality of Kiev is. A principality, based around-- anyone? Kiev. What people were the ruling elite? The Rus of Kiev.
    That's like me saying the Genoan Italians. It is redundant.
    But you do not call England a Principality of London? Or Republic of Venice a Principality of Venice?

The state was named lke that... Like the Republic of Novgorod since 1136.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Echad View Post
    But you do not call England a Principality of London? Or Republic of Venice a Principality of Venice?

The state was named lke that... Like the Republic of Novgorod since 1136.
    It is like that because the ruler was a prince, and there wasn't any other name for the region or the country. So it was called Kiev. like the Kievan rus' that you mentioned. why aren't they called else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Principality of Kiev would be the official, english name, no?
    It was ruled by a Grand Prince. A prince rules a principality.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Luchan's Avatar Foederatus

sounds sexy...Looking foward to this.

Indefinitely Banned

Oh, I've forgot that Prince is actually Knyaz' and just seen the format this mod will name it's countries - everything is County/Duchy/Kingdom etc... Grand Duchy of Kievan Rus' would be the correct name then, as Principality of Kiev was actually a name of provence, not the state - The state was Rus' and calling a state simlpy Kievan would be like Kingdom of London. And Novgorod had no Grand Duke, just Duke/Prince/whatever up to the 1136, when it became Republic. Do not know the time borders of this mod... Does anyone?

Ali_the_English's Avatar Tiro
    I live in Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, England

I believe it starts in 1080, same as vanilla game.
    Currently working on Dominion of the Sword

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_the_English View Post
    I believe it starts in 1080, same as vanilla game.
    Damn, is there a mod, which tries to change everything from the vanilla?

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

i hope it will start later,because it would be great to play the crusader states with the good features of this mod.But if it realy starts in 1080,then the crusader states would only be an emergent faction so not playable .

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Rodrico Stak's Avatar Miles

This is so amazingly great! When it comes out, this will be the greatest mod I've ever seen or played for Medieval 2. In fact, it was so great that I registered for this forum for the entire purpose of posting this...

Looks like this'll be great, can't wait until it comes out!

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Wow! Thanks...

Rodrico Stak's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Wow! Thanks...
    Well, the truth is like that! You're welcome!

Thanks for the rep!

Indefinitely Banned

Guys, can you give any feedback according the idea to start mod later? Or earlier... We have vanilla for 1080!

earlier would also be great!If you let the mod start in 1025,just after the death of emperor Basilios II.The byz emp was at it's largest then,and it had southern italy,were it waged war with lombardian fiefdoms,muslims,the pope and with the normans.It is just an idea.Or you can let it start in the year 1098,just after the fall of jerusalem.

Very great mod !

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

kekesvar.bingos's Avatar Miles
    The Only and Ultimate Walachian Kingdoms (err yes, there are more of them...)

Default Hello Hross

some time ago (few months i guess...) you asked me for some research work on Czech faction... i'd really love to participate since i have the pleasure to be Czech ... sorry for such a delay .... if you could still use some help please feel free to contact me. Oh and i wish you happy progress!!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Advantages and disadvantages of some dates as starting ones...
    As possible dates as starting ones for a "medeival" mod could for examble be..
    A:801
    B:900
    C:1025
    D:1072 or 1066
    E:1080
    F:1090
    G:1180
    H:1205
    Let us find out what each date has to "offer"...
    A:801AD:It is the 1st year that Charlemagne is under his "imperial" title... In that time in europe has a great francish/germanic state but only few other european factions to be playable...The east roman empire still has all balcans,asia minor and a part of italy...But a mod weach starts at 801 will be a islamic/arabic dominated one...Arabs (3 or 4 major or lesser factions will have all north africa,midlle east and a great part of spain under their rule... And we must NOT forget the islands od sicely and crete as well...A player as an arab chaliph could easily dominate in the mod's world just doing NOTHING.
    B:900AD:The year of ballances.After the batlle of Licaon river in central asia minor between the romans and arabs in 860ad there is a time that comes a ballance between the islamic and christian worlds...The romans once again become the super power of the time with only two thorns in their sides(serbia and bulgaria).Arabs now divited in many factions still dominate in spain,notrh africa,middle east...In europe the francish empire start to became many minnor states much more a mod can afford as playable factions...The "good" issues a mod like this could provide is the turkish emerge and the viking expansion to both eastern and western europe.
    C:1025AD:The year of total superpower(as the historians agree).The roman empire is the ONLY real state in europe.Europe that tries to find a road to leave the dark ages...Arabs are inside a ruthless civil war (once again) living the roman emperors to play as they wish...The new features a mod like this could offer could be the domination of the vikings in all north europe and the 1st apearance of the turkish/turcamanic federations.In a medium dificalty a player of any faction could NOT survive against the only superpower.
    D:1066-1072AD:Two dates that could easily have the title of "the turning point".Both of them mark a major event that changed the world more or less.
    We must remember that even after his victory William did not ocupied England(he needed several year more to accomplish the occupation).
    As for the 2nd date even after the loss of the Maziquert batlle the roman empire DID NOT loose its provinces and remained a hurted but strong superpower(it was a civil war nesesary to change both)...There is no serbia,bulgaria,muslim cretan principallity and others in that date)...
    E:1080AD:This date has severall advantages for a mod to begin...
    1st The roman empire is no longer a superpower(it still has all balcans and domination but allready lost 75% of asia minor and a new greek/turkish state has been created).The muslim world is divited is many but still strong states. Viking origin states in east europe have established and William has not only survived but diminates in most of saxon lands in England...Italian federations of trade are in uprissing...In that date there is a ballance of terror that is going the change soon....
    F:1090AD:Few years before the 1st crusade...Crusades,missions with no chance for success...What huppened?Civill wars kept muslim world away of defending those lands...Muslim states that gained more gold each one alone than all european states together...How a realistic mod could present that issew?The "new"things that a mod like this could offer could be the serbian,croatian and bulgarian rebelions as starting factions of the mod...
    G:1180AD:The year of the last hope for the roman empire to regain asia minor once and for all...From 1080 to 1180 the empire is once again the ultimate superpower(smaller in lands but stiil strong)The crusade states are divited even under the king og Jerusalem...The prince of Antioch is the roman emperor's vassal...Any way is generally the time frame of "Kingdoms".A mod that starts in this date can not show the basic medeival world in a player becouse that world has allready changed...
    H:1205AD:The last good choice for a medeival mod to start could be 1205ad.
    The roman empire does not exist(at least for a sort time).That date could focus more to the latin states of the Latin Kingdom of Constantinople...
    Famous principalities such the principality of ACHAIA (the most famous knights all over europe according to historians of their time).A mod that starts in such a date will nesesary focus on christian factions (new in every way)and had muslim/islamic world out of nessesity...

That is simply my way of view only...
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; December 30, 2007 at 10:05 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

i also like the idea of 801AD and 900AD very much
    I like the idea of startyear 1205 mostly because you can then add the byz empire of trebizond (see=> http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=124746&page=8 for my reasons of why i would add the trebizond empire)
    Last edited by Basileos; December 30, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"