Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nakharar's Basics: Regions with Geomod

Default Nakharar's Basics: Regions with Geomod

Hello welcome to Nakharar's tutorial. In this tutorial i will explain how to use the tool GeoMod to make modding much easier.

First of all a translated English Version is available for download here

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=201955&page=3

new version from there

The tool was created by Octavius and i think its a great tool which means you dont need to do so much boring code work.

This tutorial which specificly focus on the regions part.

--------------

First of all getting the right files into the Geomod for it to work effectivly.
    The files needed are:

data/world/maps/base/map_climates.tga
    data/world/maps/base/map_ground_types.tga
    data/world/maps/base/map_heighs.tga
    data/world/maps/base/map_regions.tga
    data/world/maps/base/map_features.tga
    data/world/maps/base/descr_sound_music_types.txt
    data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat
    data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_mercenaries
    data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_win_conditions
    data/text/rebel_factions_descr.txt.strings.bin
    data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin
    data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin
    data/text/expanded.txt.strings.bin
    data/descr_sm_factions.txt
    data/descr_rebel_factions.txt.
    data/descr_religions.txt
    data/export_descr_buildings

---------------------------

For GeoMod to open it has to detect all these files in one folder in the correct places. The job has been made easier because
    Octavius has included all of these in one folder mtw2 files and Gigantus has replaced them with an English version.

---------------------------

Now onto the actual modding

When GeoMod opens if you open it with the MTW2 files you will notice it only opens on the West of Europe and America. Now im going to add one more region to Armenia. I simply zoom out pressing the zoom out button and then using the zoom in zoom in on the most easternly part of the map. First im going to add a new region called Van so i click on the regions tab in the top right. If i go back to the main tab for maps on the right there are four boxes to tick, Features(rivers etc), resources, characters and cities and ports. I tick the boxes cities and ports and features. Now the map features and all cities and ports apear on the map.

As you can see there are a list of regions which are there so you can modify them and change there entries in the .txt files too. On the right
    there is a option new i will click on that.

It automaticly assigns a non used colour and has the entries New_Province, New Region. Im going to modify that to Van_Province, Van Region. Im going to make the Agriculture 3 for better farms, the city will be called Van.

I go back to maps and press draw regions draw my region. I then go back to Regions and go to community and start some modifying there. Modifying the settlement. I press move for the settlement and draw the dot on my map it automaticly assigns the position.

I then change the religion to 80 percent Orthodox and 20 % Islam. The Religion must total 100.

Now the descr_strat stuff like population and all.

Going to make Van a City and make it have a population of 3000, i simply change the population number and the level of the city.
    Its going to be a city so im going to keep it as a settlement going to add new buildings. You just press on add then start clicking on the buildings you want. I added a few buildings.

By clicking on various you have the chance to finalize a few options. Really straightforward.

------------------

Now thats adding a region and that really teaches you the basics for modifying regions too. You must always validate on every tab, to make sure it saves. Also by removing regions your merging them with local ones though they are compltely removed.

check out my mod EOR see my sig
    Last edited by Nakharar; November 18, 2008 at 09:48 AM.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Default Re: Nakharar's Basics: Regions with Geomod

Nice tutorial mate. It helped me out . This tool rocks.

I must say that, after some doubts at the beginning, this is one of the most useful tools for modding I've ever used, in a really tedious aspect of modding as mapping.

Thanks to the developers and to you for the tutorial.

Thanks man + rep also thanks to Octavius hes the main man here

i didnt make the program Octavius is

Zmaj od Noćaja's Avatar Miles

This didn't work for me...I modified SS6.1 map. I removed Sharjah region (it became a part of Fars region), then added 1 region in the balkans, but map never showed it..now it crashes. I did all you said step-by-step, saved it in the end and nothing...Also, when I put a pixel for a town, it didn't automaticly move it...So - help?

I don't know what this is...I only tried to erase a region by geomod....when I did as you said - it joined 2 regions in 1. But then game won't start. it just keeps sending me back to pick a campaign...

hmm what does system.log say??

Nop..I did manage to delete a region, however, but I did it manually, with Irfanview and paint...
    Then I went and did everything you said s-b-s, and still nothing.
    system.log isn't turned on, don't know how to enable it...but isn't it only active when the game crashes? Because game doesn't crash, it only returns to the previous screen.
    And as I said, geomod never automaticly puts town on some place. where I put it - there it remains.
    p.s. should I click on generate map? I didn't do this on this occasion, but on previous I did it without result..

20:28:38.654 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    20:28:38.654 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    20:28:38.669 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:28:38.669 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:28:38.669 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:28:38.669 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:28:38.669 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:28:38.669 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:28:55.232 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 664, column 1
    Settlement(Venice) in region(Venice) has not been given a core building. Any settlements above village level must have an appropriate core building! This settlement is level 3, and should have a level 2 core building.
    20:28:55.232 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 664, column 1
    could not create settlement at script line 664.

here's log

Hey nice tutorial Nakharar! This got me started using GeoMod (which is also great, by the way).

Coder on Dark Ages: Roman Revival, the alternate history mod for BI.

Under the Patronage of Augustus Lucifer, member of the House of Ward.

So I finally added a region, but I had to do half of work manually. Don't know is it because I use Vista, but there's something terribly wrong with geomod. It's really one of the best tools i've seen, but it appears that he for some reason, always delets all constructions on all towns, which you could see in my post above. So then, I had to paste original descr_strat and manualy add region (which was quick, but I'm just telling you to know). After that I had to paste some more txt files, which were messed up by geomod (descr_merc and campaign_script).

I achieved my goal, but I'm not satisfied, because I'd really like to know why is this happening - geomod messing up some txt files...and I'd really like to do everything with it 'cause it's great stuff. So if anyone could help - I'd appreciate it.

hmm im not the creator Octavius ive also noticed some .txt files get a bitcookoo especialy descr_strat in your case too it seems you havent put a wall onto Venice or a core building

Yes, but the worst thing is - I never changed Venice! And it striped off all constructions on all towns.
    Which Octavius - is it just Octavius, or does the name has something else to it...I sent him pm, still no answer..so I'll wait a while...

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Here is the topic of the tool :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201955

Octavius can be found there

Thanks for the great tutorial.
    Last edited by R-teen; November 18, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaj od Noćaja View Post
    Yes, but the worst thing is - I never changed Venice! And it striped off all constructions on all towns.
    Which Octavius - is it just Octavius, or does the name has something else to it...I sent him pm, still no answer..so I'll wait a while...
    I answered to Zmaj od Nocaja and he solved the problem.

Please be carefull, many people are using the wrong version of Geomod, the "building bug" has already been corrected, see here to download the corrected version : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=201955&page=3

cool i will edit the link also guys im open to rep

Marin.Subasic's Avatar Libertus

Very Good Tool and Tutorial.

BTW not Geomod is fully working no silly bugs

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast