Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Stone's Alexander!

Default Re: Oliver Stone's Alexander!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
    Consistency being whats especially deficient in the film. I can't think of anything of Oliver Stone's that isn't overrated with the exception of The Doors, and only then because The Doors have always been my favorite band.
    I thought Platoon, Salvador, JFK, Natural Born Killers, and Nixon were very good films even if the factual basis of them were tampered with. Most of the characters in his films seem to very neurotic with the exception of NBK. JFK is still my favorite of his because its really about obsession and becoming overwhelmed by internal and external demons. Costner's portrayal of AG Garrison really pulls out the uphill battle of corruption and paranoia that existed in that time period and the film does give us some pretty good facts and interesting scenarios involving the holes in the case against LHO. His use of alternate timelines and his almost psychadelic use of cinematography really seemed to work in his films in the early 90s, even in Nixon.

I also love The Doors even if his portrayal of Morrison was a little bit off, Val Kilmer seemed to fit very well for the role. The concert sequences were just so epically mind-ing and the whole film comes off as 'out of joint'. I love films that tamper with perception of reality, it really seemed like it was an entirely different world through Morrison's eyes.
    Last edited by Admiral Piett; May 06, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I think it was pretty historic, at least regarding gaugamela, maybe its because i have been dmagaed with crappy unhistorical armors and formations in other movies but it was nice to see a proper phalangite moving with battered linothoraxes phyrigian helmets of all kinds (among others of course) , boeotian style helmets, leopard skins on companian cavalry, proper sarrisas and peltasts, it was really gratifing.

hate that movie

bad actors

bad scenes and alot of gci

Perdiccas_Nile's Avatar Libertus

comon guys the dialogue was incredible!
    "because i know her heart by Hera - and I see her in your eyes!" - "you covet this throne too much!"

breathtaking movie. period.

even if it wasn't as good as it could have been it still was bloody good!

Bleda's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Perdiccas_Nile View Post
    comon guys the dialogue was incredible!
    "because i know her heart by Hera - and I see her in your eyes!" - "you covet this throne too much!"

breathtaking movie. period.

even if it wasn't as good as it could have been it still was bloody good!
    It took my breath away as I shouted at the screen, angry that I had spent money to watch that monumental piece of crap. Go see a play if all you want are well written lines. Period.

It took my breath away as I shouted at the screen, angry that I had spent money to watch that monumental piece of crap. Go see a play if all you want are well written lines. Period.
    It did sound playish bleda, but is that a bad thing?
    do the lines need to be dumbed down to your liking?
    the world really needs more dumbed down movies doesn't it...

*plz escuse while i go and puke in disgust*

It did sound playish bleda, but is that a bad thing?
    do the lines need to be dumbed down to your liking?
    the world really needs more dumbed down movies doesn't it...

*plz escuse while i go and puke in disgust*
    you calling me dumb because I don't like a bad movie? the only thing that needs dumbed down is all the hype about this movie.

well written scripts are important, but meaningless if the movie itself is garbage. there is a lot more that goes into a film than goes into a play. mediocre (over)acting and MILDLY well written lines don't cut it in filmmaking. if you doubt my cognitive ability to analyze a film based on its merits (or lack thereof) feel free to go back through this thread and find any posts I've made about why its such a bad movie, instead of taking a little sentence fragment and declaring my opinions as invalid. in fact I've posted more on this thread than you have on this entire site, so have a good read.

you calling me dumb because I don't like a bad movie? the only thing that needs dumbed down is all the hype about this movie.

well written scripts are important, but meaningless if the movie itself is garbage. there is a lot more that goes into a film than goes into a play. mediocre (over)acting and MILDLY well written lines don't cut it in filmmaking. if you doubt my cognitive ability to analyze a film based on its merits (or lack thereof) feel free to go back through this thread and find any posts I've made about why its such a bad movie, instead of taking a little sentence fragment and declaring my opinions as invalid. in fact I've posted more on this thread than you have on this entire site, so have a good read.
    lol bleda, you're hilarious

1) film was not garbage
    2) acting was not mediocre
    3) dialogue was not "mildly" well written

do you have a film you like so i can attempt to understand your "critique"?

I loved the film... (although parts were not historically accurate) (but that was done because of time limitations) (should have split the film into 2 parts like "Kill Bill")

Or do a mini series, going through alexanders life, to his death in babylon, and then the wars of his successors!

Happy new year!!!!

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

The problem was that the movie focussed on all the non interesting things, and wanted to be arty farty and discuss bs like hir relationship towards his mother.

This could have been an epic movie, they could have shown him crushing the rebelling Greeks, his invasion of Persia, the Battle of Granicus; the battle at the Isus, The siege of Tyre (they changed the landscape forever for crying out loud)

Instead we got close ups of Collin farrel and close ups of Angelina Jolies lips and a hiddeous accent comming from her mouth.

If I want to know about Alexanders personality and how power and succes may have altered it, I'd read a damn book on his life, I go to see a movie called Alexander to see epic Phalanx fighting between Macedonians versus Persians and Greeks not whining and whining and more whining

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

Nah i watched it for his deep connections with his parents and gay best friend lover. Thats what alexander is all about outside of eurosentricism =P

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

Wow we're still talking about this travesty?

lol bleda, you're hilarious

1) film was not garbage
    2) acting was not mediocre
    3) dialogue was not "mildly" well written

do you have a film you like so i can attempt to understand your "critique"?

I loved the film... (although parts were not historically accurate) (but that was done because of time limitations) (should have split the film into 2 parts like "Kill Bill")

Or do a mini series, going through alexanders life, to his death in babylon, and then the wars of his successors!

Happy new year!!!!
    So your response is essentially "Nuh uh, it is good." Followed by what you think are witty comments about "my critique". This thread is about Alexander, the terrible movie. It's not about any other movie and attacking any films that I like isn't going to disprove that Alexander is poorly made film.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrychris View Post
    Nah i watched it for his deep connections with his parents and gay best friend lover. Thats what alexander is all about outside of eurosentricism =P
    lol! That's what Oliver Stone thought the people wanted. When that notion was ruined, he blames the audience.

Oliver on Alexander might interest u:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk57e6IUUHs
    Last edited by Perdiccas_Nile; January 07, 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Its a good movie on mute.

7-8/10 in my book
    Last edited by Perdiccas_Nile; January 07, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Ok if we're giving ratings then mine will be 1 out of 5 stars.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think stone is the most capable person to tell the story. It might not be what everyone wants to see, but the fact of the matter is that stone cares deeply about getting it right. Hephaestion was his counterpart. They were two halves of Alexander. Just as Phillip and Olympias were two halves of Alexander. There was the son Phillip wanted and the son Olympias made. Alexander had a passionate love-hate relationship with everyone in his life except Heph. He alone was consistent. He hated his father for setting the bar so high but he knew his father believed in him. He loved his mother because she thought so highly of him and painted a picture of the man he wanted; she wanted him to be. But he knew she killed his father. So he has to leave. On one hand his conquest is dedicated to Phillip, on the other he's running away from his mother. Winning battles was easy for him, he was a genius and unafraid of death. What drove him was a need to run away. He could never stop. He could never stop. Phillip would have stopped and gone home. Olympias took away his home. He felt like the furies were after him. There was a fire in his blood that couldnt be extinguished.

Everyone else was in it for the loot (except Heph who was in it for alexander) Alexander needed to prove he was more than the agent of his parent's aspirations.

This will sound stupid, but in modern prople I see him sort of like a Kanye West. The ego, the strong mother figures, the artistic sort of metrosexual thing, the drive to power, and the way he looses it from time to time... But smart and ultimately lonely because he isn't really gay (he really is a fish...) and can't really understand women.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 08, 2011 at 02:26 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Personally I liked it.

I dunno, from the reactions it seems to me it's a movie you either hate or like.
    Last edited by NotYetRegistered; January 08, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    I think stone is the most capable person to tell the story. It might not be what everyone wants to see, but the fact of the matter is that stone cares deeply about getting it right.
    And he failed. His good intentions don't account for the final cut.

And he failed. His good intentions don't account for the final cut.
    Which one lol?
    there were 3 of them...

Bleda r u srsly going to tell me u didn't like any of the movie? What's wrong with u lol!

"Because you've fallen in love with all the things in life that destroy men! Do you not see? And you, as well as I, know, that as the years decline, and the memories stale, and all your great victories fade, it will always be remembered, you left your king in Asia! For I will go on...with my Asians!"