Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Stone's Alexander!

Default Re: Oliver Stone's Alexander!

Yeah, but I'll be damned if Angelina Jolie didn't look mighty fine in that movie. Even if she was ridiculously annoying.

after alexander, i was never ever again able to take collin farrell seriously - both in his quality as an actor, as well as a human being
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I'm not even going to go near the historical failings, since they speak for themselves. I will stress that I basically found the film boring. How any film could fail to make one of the most spectacular figures, in one of the most interesting social environments (the Macedonian court) in history is quite beyond me.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    I'm not even going to go near the historical failings, since they speak for themselves. I will stress that I basically found the film boring. How any film could fail to make one of the most spectacular figures, in one of the most interesting social environments (the Macedonian court) in history is quite beyond me.
    Exactly!! I believe it was a gay community funded movie and had no other interest whatsoever! You can watch it once, because the subject is overwhelming, but that's not what an Alexander film should be imo..

Quote Originally Posted by Athenean21 View Post
    Exactly!! I believe it was a gay community funded movie and had no other interest whatsoever! .
    right...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Yeah, but I'll be damned if Angelina Jolie didn't look mighty fine in that movie. Even if she was ridiculously annoying.
    Only good looking person in this movie was...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Pallantides; November 12, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    right...

Only good looking person in this movie was...

he looks a bit like you palla - if indeed the long haired guy who used to be your avatar, is you
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxchamp View Post
    after alexander, i was never ever again able to take collin farrell seriously - both in his quality as an actor, as well as a human being
    You should watch in Bruges. He does a decent job in that one.

@ Pallantides; how could you!?!

I don't know why so many people seem to hate this movie, i myself found it to be pretty good. as a matter of fact, it was actually great
    Reap the promised end to the struggle. Reap every point on our linear path.
    Reap the smiles in time we borrow, every harvest relies on the last.
    Reap the promising song of the sparrow, that they learned from the birth of sea.
    Silenced by the threnody of the crows. Reap the fallen fruit of the dogwood tree.
    But I witnessed in all this silence one soul's definition of beauty. and a backlit smile so temporary.
    A facade so rich with evil history. Cast in direct opposition set to overwhelm this moment to shine and sleep.
    came out on top of what was borrowed, and found all that beauty to be still...

he looks a bit like you palla - if indeed the long haired guy who used to be your avatar, is you

yeah lawl but I'm no way has good looking as Bagoas

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    You should watch in Bruges. He does a decent job in that one.
    i only watched miami vice - i couldn't control myself with laughter whenever they showed farrell close-up

thx for the info mate, i'll have a go at it

P.S.

@ Palla: beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but i don't mean to insinuate anything here
    - Peronje

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I thought this movie was terrible. I found it similar to Sphere, that it was basically just terrible storytelling. The battle scenes were terribly filmed and unconvincing.

It felt like several different episodes of a high budget yet rushed miniseries just pieced together.

The only decent acting in the whole movie was Hopkins, who was a secondary character at best, and Val Kilmer.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Colin Farrel was terrible in this disgrace to Megas Alexandros.
    Music was good though.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

@ Palla: beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but i don't mean to insinuate anything here
    I'm not saying I'm beautiful...just that he is better looking than me.

I'm not saying I'm beautiful...just that he is better looking than me.
    and i agree...although idk much about the male beauty ideal.....*long uncomfortable silence* ..can we talk about smth else please?

btw, i just watched In Bruges, and i must say it's a masterpiece, on behalf of the general story, the scenery and the acting - Farell easily redempted himself - excellent movie!
    - Peronje

Anyone else think he kind of ruined the elephant battle (lol I forget the name of the battle) with the red tint after Alexander was wounded? It was pretty sweet up until that point and the rest of it was cool it's just the red got in the way majorly to me.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Colin Farrell was way to scruffy and manly looking to play Alexander The Great

Colin Farrell was way to scruffy and manly looking to play Alexander The Great

I hate collin, he swears too ing much

too much gay scenes, you can't take alexander seriously after watching those. And not enough battles, even though the level of carnage was good. And Alexander's blond hair and appearance in general looked so unnatural.
    "I have not escaped punishment, as some may imagine; I am punished every hour I live for the folly of my life, and what it drove me to do. My enemy and I were mined from the same mortal seam; cast into the same furnace of creation, our images impressed on opposite sides of the same coin, separate, but not distinct, conjoined by some fatal alchemy. I killed him; but in doing so, I killed the best part of myself." -E.G.

this springs to mind when watching alexander

Last edited by Luxchamp; November 12, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
    - Peronje

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Black Watch 42 View Post
    It's a'right
    I liked it. I didn't find much wrong with it. I think the people who make a big deal about the historical inaccuracies and homosexual implications of Alexander's personal life need to grow the up and just enjoy the damn movie. It's not a documentary people, it's an entertainment piece. Stop acting like critics and stop jumping on the "OMG its teh suck" bandwagon.
    It's ing tiring and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by yar0 View Post
    too much gay scenes
    Nah. Not really. XD

you can't take alexander seriously after watching those.
    Why? Alexander III was bisexual, and had liaisons with many of both sexes.

And Alexander's blond hair and appearance in general looked so unnatural.
    Even though Alexander is often portrayed, even outside OS's film, as having blond hair and striking features.
    Though I kinda agree with you. Farrell was too masculine and "Grrr".
    Alexander III in historical depictions was much more bishounen-looking. Like Soubi from Loveless ;3

Quote Originally Posted by Pivra View Post
    I hate collin, he swears too ing much
    No such thing.
    Last edited by MaximiIian; November 13, 2008 at 12:43 AM.