Thread: Oliver Stone's Alexander!

Default Oliver Stone's Alexander!

It's a'right I supose.
    The King over the water!

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Default Re: Oliver Stone's Alexander!

I like it man, the music is extraordinary

I liked the first battle scene which was fairly accurate for a Hollywood movie.

A disastor in my opinion. Oliver Stone was quite literally on drugs when he made it, and was busted shortly after its release. The dialogue was ridiculous, the plot was an amorphous blob with no beggining, middle, end or even purpose and really there were zero interesting characters developed in the film.

If you watch the whole thing on mute, you might think it could be a good movie, but once you actually hear the drivel spilling from the actors mouths you realize this movie is about as compelling as Battlefield Earth.

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Black Watch 42 View Post
    It's a'right I supose.
    Shortest review ever?
    Film isn`t all that bad, it`s somewhat different than regular everyday hollywood bs. Hardly a masterpiece tho.
    TAOISM - **** happens.
    HARE KRISHNA - **** happens rama rama ding ding.
    HINDUISM - This **** happened before.
    ISLAM - If **** happens take a hostage.
    BUDDHISM - When **** happens, is it really ****?
    ADVENTIST - **** happens on Saturdays.
    PROTESTANTISM - **** won't happen if I work harder.
    CATHOLICISM - If **** happens, I deserve it.
    ORTHODOX - Happening of a **** was a conspiracy
    JUDAISM - Why does this **** always happen to ME?
    RASTAFARIANISM - Let's smoke this ****

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

There was some good scenes in it!

Like when they crossed the mountains...

A terrible movie not one redeeming quality in my eyes.

Heard about oliver Stones new film W about our president

Alexander was dull
    :I
    zzzzz

I thought the fight at Guagemale was cool and so was the one at the end except for when the whole screen turns strangely red after he's hit by the arrow. I don't know if Colin Ferrel or whatever, was a great choice to be Alexander the Great.

i felt the film focused far too much on alexanders sexual endevours, rather than his battle strategies/actions and the motives behind those who betrayed him.
    i would like to see a remake made that shows his genius in its true form, without the BS of his mother/sexuality and all that.

One of the worst films of all time.

And you know what else I hate about Stone? On the advertising posters for his new film W the strap line is "Anyone can grow up to be president."
    This is bollox. This is the same trick Micheal Moore pulled with his film Fahrenheit 9/11, where he portray Bush as a slacker who was always on vacation and wasn't really responsible for anything.
    With that strap line, and to an extent within the film W itself, Bush is portrayed as an ordinary man who ended up as president, when the reality is that he and his family have aways been a part of the elite of American society.

Indefinitely Banned

Movie was lame, but Gaugemela was good. Wrote a 6 page paper on it for class, comparing it to the historical battle.

besides that it was terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    One of the worst films of all time.

And you know what else I hate about Stone? On the advertising posters for his new film W the strap line is "Anyone can grow up to be president."
    This is bollox. This is the same trick Micheal Moore pulled with his film Fahrenheit 9/11, where he portray Bush as a slacker who was always on vacation and wasn't really responsible for anything.
    With that strap line, and to an extent within the film W itself, Bush is portrayed as an ordinary man who ended up as president, when the reality is that he and his family have aways been a part of the elite of American society.
    The strap line is obviously intended as a play on words. It takes the traditional saying, and adapts it to refer to W's character-development in the movie - he "grows up" to become President...that is to say, he reached middle-age as a hard-drinking, hard-partying, coke-snorting loser who'd done nothing with his life and then grew up and became a man, and in the process became President.

The strap line does not mean that W is an example of "anyone growing up to be President" in the traditional sense of the saying.

You misunderstood.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny the Scourge View Post
    The strap line is obviously intended as a play on words. It takes the traditional saying, and adapts it to refer to W's character-development in the movie - he "grows up" to become President...that is to say, he reached middle-age as a hard-drinking, hard-partying, coke-snorting loser who'd done nothing with his life and then grew up and became a man, and in the process became President.

The strap line does not mean that W is an example of "anyone growing up to be President" in the traditional sense of the saying.

You misunderstood.

No, it is you who doesn't understand the advanced PR techniques that are being used on Bush's behalf. As I wrote, even back when Bush WAS a hard drinking hard partying guy he was never anything close to the ordinary man, because of his CONNECTIONS.
    Understand that he has always been an elite. Understand that the ONLY reason he was able to become president was because of his connections. This is what they are currently trying to stop you from understanding and it seems it's working.

W did in his life, dodged Vietnam and became president largely due to cronyism and, to an extent, corruption.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cň am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brŕth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhěthein buaile fŕs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sěos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ŕird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    No, it is you who doesn't understand the advanced PR techniques that are being used on Bush's behalf. As I wrote, even back when Bush WAS a hard drinking hard partying guy he was never anything close to the ordinary man, because of his CONNECTIONS.
    Understand that he has always been an elite. Understand that the ONLY reason he was able to become president was because of his connections. This is what they are currently trying to stop you from understanding and it seems it's working.
    You haven't understood a word I've said, Empi.

Neither the strap-line for the movie you're talking about, nor I just then in my reply, say anything whatsoever about W. being an ordinary man, not of the elite, who then somehow made himself President through his own hard work.

The movie is a biopic, interested in the human story of Bush's personal growth. All good stories concentrate on the ways a character changes. Bush was a dissipated loser - then he "grew up", as in the play on words used here. Afterward he became President, which was only possible because he had stopped his childish behaviour.

There is no insinuation that Bush's family-connections were not absolutely imperative to his political success. The strap-line does not suggest that. I did not suggest that. Why would anyone suggest a ridiculous and manifestly false thing? Of course they were. There's no way a dullard like W could have made it to the top without his Daddy's name behind him.

So when you make angry complaints of this sort about it, you just make yourself seem gauche and clumsy. You didn't "get" the joke in the movie's strap-line.
    Last edited by Cluny the Scourge; October 30, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

This movie bored me to tears, a lot of the battle scene were just Alexander charging at people and the acting was brutal. Alexander was Irish, his mam was Spanish or Portugese and everyone else was American or British, no one was Greek

I'm not a particular fan of this movie, but I did like the battle with the elephants. There aren't enough war elephants in movies.

It was a good movie
    Reap the promised end to the struggle. Reap every point on our linear path.
    Reap the smiles in time we borrow, every harvest relies on the last.
    Reap the promising song of the sparrow, that they learned from the birth of sea.
    Silenced by the threnody of the crows. Reap the fallen fruit of the dogwood tree.
    But I witnessed in all this silence one soul's definition of beauty. and a backlit smile so temporary.
    A facade so rich with evil history. Cast in direct opposition set to overwhelm this moment to shine and sleep.
    came out on top of what was borrowed, and found all that beauty to be still...

It was alright. The scnese with his mom bored me

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast