Thread: Greatest General Ever [The Noble Lord vs Carl von Dobeln] Commentary Thread

Indefinitely Banned

Default Greatest General Ever [The Noble Lord vs Carl von Dobeln] Commentary Thread

good points you both make, but i disagree with you both.

----

Post your comments on the above captioned debate here. - Senno

Link to Debate Thread.
    Last edited by Senno; November 21, 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added link to Debate Thread.

Knez_Lazar's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Greates general ever:The Noble Lord vs. Carl von Dobeln

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Von Döbeln View Post
    You can't call it an Heritage, Bot Gustavus And Alexander changed the world.

Suvorov didn't do that on a large scale.

Read this, It's written by the Great Spartan JKM
    I hope that i dont mind me, ill be intruder here. But i would like to say that, if u are talking about great generals, its not important to discuss the political impact of their victories, but to separately observe it from a pure strategical aspect. So , ill agree with my montenegrian brother , that Suvorov was indeed great General and leader.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world - that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented!

Roger David Casement-Irish patriot, poet,
    revolutionary and nationalist.

Roman_Wolf's Avatar Campidoctor

i think akexander the great has to be the greatest ever. as he conquered lots of the known world in a very short life time.

i also think that hannibal is a great and genius general. but i hate his guts as he almost finished off my beloved roman empire. Scipio africanus ftw.
    Love is the most powerful thing on Earth, unless you have access to weaponry.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

I must say Alexander the great WAS a great. General.
    but Suvorov...:hmmm: I am not sure. he was definately good, maybe amongst the 100 best military commanders ever, but yet not the greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Indefinitely Banned

I agree with Orko, also I have to say that both of them are good but Alexander is in class of his own.
    And i get the point about Suleiman the Magnificent.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
    they did fight some great battles, but their abilities are to be judged by other things as well. what other qualities they two had????
    we are talking aabout the greatest general. not person.
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Indefinitely Banned

greatest general, i understand.
    thats my point, as a generals what other things they had in their favor?????

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
    greatest general, i understand.
    thats my point, as a generals what other things they had in their favor?????
    natural tactical ability. what did Suleiman had(PLEASE don't say a large empire!)?