Thread: Mod no longer works.

Yep, you heard me, the mod wont detect the existence of the .exe, to spite a new, fresh install, and a custom install at that.

Any help?

i give the up.
    Last edited by Squid; October 28, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Double post

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Mod no longer works.

Please don't post back to the same topic - you've added nothing.

You also didn't let us know what happened prior to the mod 'not working'. Where is the 'exe' - is it in the standard folder or somewhere else.

A little bit of detail would help, otherwise you're waisting your time and ours.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I had this problem a few times, when my discs was scratched, i just burned the files from original onto discs and reinstalled i was fine, if not and the mod cant find the exe, youve probably installed the mod into the wrong directory, Right directory being where the exe is located. Failing that, Your RS shortcut's target line could be wrong, check it, right click and properties.

Should be c:\program files\The creative assembly or Activision\Rome - Total War\

Hope i helped

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Next time try a search, this is the most common problem I know as I've posted this at least a dozen times:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You didn't install it in the correct location

The default location the installer gives, is not necessarily where you have RTW installed to.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

No.

THis is NOT the problem.

I have a clean install, normal rome total war works perfectly, other mods, work perfectly.

Installing RS natively now makes it so the RomeTW.exe no longer exists within the files, and is more of a ghost application only able to be run by the native RTW and BI. It doesn't detect the EXE after the mod is installed.

On top of this, it seems it may just be generally something wrong with the file itself, I have downloaded and redownloaded the file for RS, and each time, you know what I get?

After the install, the launch icon freezes windows explorer when right clicked, and I have to wait and do nothing before it will actively right click, and when I go to properties, it has the same file path as rome total war, just with all the add-ons associated with the mod itself.

"
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidSK View Post
    Next time try a search, this is the most common problem I know as I've posted this at least a dozen times:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You didn't install it in the correct location

The default location the installer gives, is not necessarily where you have RTW installed to.
    "

Should have asked for the full topic first mate.

That is not the problem, the install actually incripts the .exe so the system wont recognize it with the icon from the looks of it. I can no longer even find the exe inside of the file. Yet normal RTW seems to detect the exe in the proper place, and run it correctly.
    Last edited by General Frum; October 29, 2008 at 07:36 PM.

well when you install, an exe gets put on desktop, though if it isnt in your file it wont connect, umm tried used search via the start ?

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Quote Originally Posted by General Frum View Post
    No.

THis is NOT the problem.

I have a clean install, normal rome total war works perfectly, other mods, work perfectly.

Installing RS natively now makes it so the RomeTW.exe no longer exists within the files, and is more of a ghost application only able to be run by the native RTW and BI. It doesn't detect the EXE after the mod is installed.

On top of this, it seems it may just be generally something wrong with the file itself, I have downloaded and redownloaded the file for RS, and each time, you know what I get?

After the install, the launch icon freezes windows explorer when right clicked, and I have to wait and do nothing before it will actively right click, and when I go to properties, it has the same file path as rome total war, just with all the add-ons associated with the mod itself.

""

Should have asked for the full topic first mate.

That is not the problem, the install actually incripts the .exe so the system wont recognize it with the icon from the looks of it. I can no longer even find the exe inside of the file. Yet normal RTW seems to detect the exe in the proper place, and run it correctly.
    Your terminology seems a bit mixed up, but I think your description makes the "did you install it into the right place?" question still valid. Your normal RTW shortcuts will certainly still run the game, because they're pointing to the correct folders and executables. Same goes for your other mods.

The RS shortcuts that have appeared on your desktop may be pointing to nothing, since the path that was offered at the beginning of the install was probably not the location of your game.

I'm not sure what you mean about encrypted files, but your description of a ghost application and rtw.exe no longer existing sounds exactly like RS was installed somewhere other than the game location, and it created all of its sub-folders and shortcuts regardless of anything being there.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Frum View Post
    <snip>
    The symptoms of installing RS into a non-existent install are exactly what you describe. For instance, you installed RTW into c:\rtw, but you installed RS into c:\RS, the RTW shortcuts would continue to work as they did before, and the RS shortcuts would tell you it can't find the exes.

This co-incidentally enough is exactly what you are describing.

In all likelyhood, your RTW is installed into C:\Program Files\Creative Assemby\Rome - Total War, however; as I stated in my last post, the installer will install RS into C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War, and hence RS will not work, but RTW will continue to work.

Even more importantly if you had installed RS over top of RTW correctly, then neither RTW nor any other mod you have would work correctly.

Lastly, the installer does not touch or alter or move or change or do anything else to any of the exe, as it would be illegal for us to have it do so. So claiming the installer is doing anything to the exe even more plainly shows you are not understanding the problem and/or what we are telling you the solution is.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Hmmm.

Than tell me, why are all the file locations the same?

It says it does not detect the exe.
    The RTW files are butchered as should be.

And that is enough proof to me that it installed correctly.

Also, since I am using a recently bought version, it is activision, not creative assembly.

The older version went with creative assembly, but I got this version so i could actually install it and activate it.

All I am saying, is that before the install, doing a search for RomeTW.exe will turn up something, after the install, it comes up with nothing at all.
    It may just be the disk itself i am using, though HIGHLY unlikely, I guess I will install everything on the old disk set...
    Last edited by General Frum; October 30, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Post pictures of your folder before (with just RTW or RTW BI installed) and after the install. We're only interested in the 'game' folder - this is where the 'exes' live.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Better than the folder with the exes in it, post a screen (or more if necessary) of the contents of your program files directory.

I think I may have found it.

I feel like an idiot for not noticing, but I had two The Creative Assembly folders, one was a copy that I made and the backup I was using incase I had to reinstall... it was differently named, and empty from when I replaced the files inside of my original install... I was using that.

Well, thankyou for the help, I am sorry I was a bit nasty with you lot, bad week, combined with weeks of no killing in this game had me hurt... deeply.
    Last edited by General Frum; October 31, 2008 at 04:13 PM.

Hooray!

I'm sure there will be no shortage of us on the forum that have done this same thing.