Page 13 of 132 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast

Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon View Post
    that is because some of the files are read only - explained in the first post.
    As I said in my post, I already took all read-only status off my files.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    When it's loading up my map files, it gets to around 12% loading when the program crashes .
    This does correspond to the descr_names.txt file. Check if it is not corrupted or something like that. This must work with the vanilla map and files.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    This does correspond to the descr_names.txt file. Check if it is not corrupted or something like that. This must work with the vanilla map and files.
    Ok now it gets up to 36% before it just stops (it doesn't crash any more, the program just hangs). I guess you can call it an improvement
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; May 04, 2009 at 05:01 AM.

Well, 36% is a very strange value for a freeze. It is still related to the characters' names but it is more difficult to identify where it could come from.

Can you send me all your files Geomod is working with ?

Well, 36% is a very strange value for a freeze. It is still related to the characters' names but it is more difficult to identify where it could come from.
    The first time the new crash happened, it did say that it couldn't find some names, and then it hung at the 36%. That was caused by not having the correct descr_names present. Once I updated that file, Geomod still hangs at 36% but I no longer get any error message.

Can you send me all your files Geomod is working with ?
    Sure thing. I'll upload them and PM you.

Darkstar's Avatar Senator

I'm having the same issue as Caesar. The first time I launched I got a bunch of error messages about missing names. I corrected the issue in my descr_names file but it's still hanging when I try to launch.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Correcting things only in descr_names will most likely not be enough. You might have to do the same corrections in data\text\names.string.bin with the BinEditor (or convert and do it in the txt version).

@ Caesar Clivus :

Geomod is stuck on the name "Mael isu". I checked names.txt.strings.bin and found out that the internal name is "Mael_Isu". Geomod is protected against the underscore/space, like the game. But it is not protected against uppercase/lowercase (I don't know if the game is).

Thanks to you I discovered that Geomod can crash if it does not find the linked name, I thought It was enough protected (you have already seen the error message).

EDIT: I find out the problem in the source code, will be corrected for the next release. As you can't know where are the problems in your files, I checked all the names and made a list for you of the bugged names :
    - Mael isu
    - mac Aengus
    - sah
    - sekerpare
    Last edited by Octavius; May 04, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Hey, kind of a silly question but is there a "back" or "undo" button. Such a thing would be pretty awesome...

there is in the new version

Quote Originally Posted by Nakharar View Post
    there is in the new version
    I downloaded the 0.3 files and replaced them in my own copy but I don't see it.

Blog Entries

Check the pic here
    It isn't a button, it is in the 'toolbar' and it is for drawing only.

Does Geomod still shut down if something is wrong?
    You have edited 50 regions and then on the 51st you are too quick to press the validate button that you forgot to add a creator faction(or whatever that causes a crash) so you lose all the work.

Is there a 'Oops, Something is wrong, try again' warning nowdays?

Shut down is only for critical errors. The lack of a creator faction was a bug of the ancient english version indeed. This was corrected in this version. It is important to report bugs and fatal errors, because they should never happen in normal conditions and I must correct them.

Normal or minor errors are notified by a message and no shut down.

Blog Entries

Does Geomod still shut down if something is wrong?
    You have edited 50 regions and then on the 51st you are too quick to press the validate button that you forgot to add a creator faction(or whatever that causes a crash) so you lose all the work.
    Man, am I glad that that is over! There were times that I wanted to kill someone.

But saving is rather easy: Ctrl+S - it has become automatic with me by now.

@ Caesar Clivus :

Geomod is stuck on the name "Mael isu". I checked names.txt.strings.bin and found out that the internal name is "Mael_Isu". Geomod is protected against the underscore/space, like the game. But it is not protected against uppercase/lowercase (I don't know if the game is).

Thanks to you I discovered that Geomod can crash if it does not find the linked name, I thought It was enough protected (you have already seen the error message).

EDIT: I find out the problem in the source code, will be corrected for the next release. As you can't know where are the problems in your files, I checked all the names and made a list for you of the bugged names :
    - Mael isu
    - mac Aengus
    - sah
    - sekerpare
    Thanks Octavius. I'll take a look at it all tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    Check the pic here
    It isn't a button, it is in the 'toolbar' and it is for drawing only.
    I see now, thank you.

ED: God dammit, why does it not work without me porting over MORE files from base M2? *annoyed
    Oh well, I can't wait for English buttons. At least I can kind of make out what they say, thank god for the Normans.
    Last edited by SSJPabs; May 05, 2009 at 09:06 AM.

What are the wishes for the next release ? I already noticed :

- make possible to have several resources on the same tile
    - use of the scroll mouse button to zoom in or zoom out

What are the wishes for the next release ? I already noticed :

- make possible to have several resources on the same tile
    - use of the scroll mouse button to zoom in or zoom out
    I'd like some sort of regions overlay (with white lines heh). It would be useful to see all the regional borders rather than just the one I am editing when I'm working in map_heights or _terrain.

ED: WHOA WHOA WHOA! What is this? After using the new Geomod, it screwed up the win conditions. Now the factions that have 0 in their win_conditions file (Pope, Aztecs, Rebels) automatically win the campaign in turn 1. What is that?!
    Last edited by SSJPabs; May 05, 2009 at 10:12 AM.

Darkstar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    Correcting things only in descr_names will most likely not be enough. You might have to do the same corrections in data\text\names.string.bin with the BinEditor (or convert and do it in the txt version).
    Made the corrections in both files with help of the Name Verifier and am able to launch Geomod successfully now. Thanks gigantus.