Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

I decided to use my buckup files and start with those provinces from beggining. I launched geomod, did nothing, just clicked exit and save. Campaign stopped working, and I have errors in log with non-existing characters Like in here:
    "The character record Khanzada Subhan is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree." There is no guy with such name in my files. Why geomod broke my game?

hey guys, i wanted to add a new region but i keep getting these two errors :
    15:08:36.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 12229, column 5
    Expected year_founded, found population
    15:08:36.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 12229, column 5
    could not create settlement at script line 12229.
    can someone please explain them to me ?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

The last time I cked all versions of Stainless Steel had its regions maxxed at release.

yeah i know i deleted a region !

I still don't fixed crashing campaign after I edited those provinces, but I've found somehing weird: File map_regions.tga opened in GIMP looks like no changes was made at all. What does it mean?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

"The character record Khanzada Subhan is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree."
    This is a non fatal error, happens when you haven't assigned a heir to a faction and the second named character in descr_strat isn't in the family tree.

Check your text\names file for the entry (it may be completely different, eg {Fritz}Khanzada) and then look for the entry in brackets in descr_strat.

Did Geomod freeze when it saved?

Last not least you may have a virtual store issue: run this tutorial from step 3 onward and then delete the M2TW directory in the virtual store.

This Khazanda error is long gone. Geomod crashed at the first save attempt when I changed those provinces. But when I launched it again, everything seemed to be ok. I had no problems with next saves. And then started this cmpaign crashing issue.

Blog Entries

When Geomod crashes at save then it usually results in some text files being messed up and the map graphics not being saved - depending on what caused the error. A probable cause can be determined from the percentage when the crash\freeze occurred, check the manual for possible explanations.

Geomod freezed at 99% which means resources and characters maps. I should look in descr_strat for those errors?

Any ideas? Making regions manually is much slower than with the geomod.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I made by hand so I would not know except I did have the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlements.txt not want to turn back into a string.bin because of errors in the descr_strat, descr_regions, descr_mercsenaries, win_conditions, and a couple of forgotten goodies left over from editing the campaign_script. Doing it with Geomod I never did.

Any ideas about this geomod freezeing? Debbuger haven't found any invalid positions and multiple resources, so what else could be wrong?

Blog Entries

99% - check if there is a comma missing (or too many) in the resources section. To confirm it's the resources section you can simply remove it temporarily and then try to save.

I removed all resources, still freezeing.

Blog Entries

My mistake - trading resources are covered under 3-6%

Looking closer in my manual I can only guess that it has to do with one of the map files.
    What were the latest changes you made?
    Are you able to start your mod?

I'm able to start my mod, but campaign is crashing at the full loading bar, last changed file is map_regions, I added new province, and I don't see any error here, city and port are in right place, no new characters. But geomod is freezeing even on my buckup not changed map.
    Last edited by Hellvard; October 07, 2014 at 02:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Check the consistency of the color of the region and it's RGB code. Run your log in trace mode and post it here (compressed).

KEA's Avatar Senator

What might has caused the error message "Die Dimensionen der Karte sind ungültig!" (The Dimensions of the map are invalid)? I am getting this error when trying to open the map of PI2 with Geomod. Game itself loads without any problems.

RGB values are the same in descr_regions and in map_regions. Log attached to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    What might has caused the error message "Die Dimensionen der Karte sind ungültig!" (The Dimensions of the map are invalid)? I am getting this error when trying to open the map of PI2 with Geomod. Game itself loads without any problems.
    Check the dimensions of the map graphic files. Defaiult is the size listed in descr_terrain
    Code:
    Name                                                   Size (see descr_terrain.txt - dimensions)
    map_regions                                        default
    map_features                                       default
    map_trade_routes                               default
    map_roughness                                   twice default
    map_heights                                        twice default plus one pixel
    map_fog                                              twice default plus one pixel
    map_ground_types                             twice default plus one pixel
    map_climates                                      twice default plus one pixel
    water_surface                                      256 x 256
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellvard View Post
    RGB values are the same in descr_regions and in map_regions. Log attached to this post.
    I haven't really got much hope here. Every time Geomod freezes\crashes it usually scrambles some text files - most notably descr_strat.
    By the looks of it you may not have done the basic step of open\save without editing in Geomod. If you have a freeze there already (which seems to have been the case) then it needs to be fixed first before you do any additional editing.
    I would suggest to start again with a version that works in the game and then do the open\save check on it. After that do your changes in small steps and keep back ups all the time.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 08, 2014 at 07:52 AM.