Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

I bet the problem is more complex. I can't open ANYTHING with Geomod - it just won't work. Wheter I select an extracted vanilla data folder, a kingdoms campaign (also extracted), a data folder from Geomod's own directory (i.e. th sample files), or my mod - all the same: Geomod puts out the missing files message and crashes before even loading completely. The files are exisiting in all cases, copying (and therefor replacing) didn't change a thing

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You may have gotten hold of the old version. This is the current version. Or you are trying to open the wrong folder (mods\mymod\data instead of mods\mymod). Check out the manual, it's described in detail.
    One culprit could be the VirtualStore, check the tutorial here from step 3 onward and then delete the M2TW folder in the Virtualstore folder.

Try to open my Bare Geomod installation with the Geomod Tool. If it still throws errors then there is something very basic that's wrong.

Copying your files into Geomod's folder was unlikely going to work, it is designed to be the other way round. To reset everything proceed as follows:

1. Delete the tools\Geomod folder
    2. Re-install Geomod
    3. Make a copy of your mod
    4. Open that copy with Geomod by selecting the mod's root folder, eg mods\mymod
    5. Geomod's error messages can be found in the root folder of that mod after closing Geomod.
    6. Copy the missing files from the ...\Medieval II Total War\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data folders into the corresponding folders of your copied mod
    7. Try again to open with Geomod

Apologies for doubleposting.

Solved the problem, selected datafolder instead the parentdirectory. Most embarrassing
    Thanks fpr your help, Gigantus, anyway

Blog Entries

No problem, keep the manual handy - there are more pitfalls where you might need it, faulty generating of the historic_events.string.bin file comes to mind.

I have a problem guys, when i change region properties (owner, religion) or move characters around the map everything works just fine. But when i create new region i cannot start grand campaign. When i click start it throws me to the main menu of the game.

I change mod files in Geomod and copy/paste (rewrite) them to the main medieval folder.

What am i doing wrong? I cant find answer on the forums.

Blog Entries

A crash to menu (CTM) usually has a well documented error message in the log. Check there ([m2tw]\logs folder), search for lines that contain [error]

A suggestion: don't mod in the medieval main folder, use my Bare Geomod mod folder instead.

05:18:13.114 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3981, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 3981.

this seems to be the problem, not sure what to do.

Blog Entries

Is this your new region?
    Does the region have a black pixel (RGB 0,0,0) in map_regions?
    If the black pixel is at the coast, try moving it inland to see if it was in fact placed in the water.
    Don't forget to delete map.rwm after the change

Ok it seems that i forgot to delete map.rwm after making changes. THANK YOU so much man! I have spent like 2 hours trying to figure it out.

Blog Entries

Don't fret, it has happened to all of us.

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

When trying to load with Geomod my own mod or Bare Geomod and probably any other mod, when loading is almost full, like 99%, it gives me the blue screen of death. Can't remember anything I did to my PC to break anything. On the blue screen it says something about igxpdx32.dll , searched on google and it seems it's about the graphics driver. Reinstalled the driver, blue screen still appears. My mod is running fine and I didn't change anything to it since about a week ago, only worked with Geomod and no errors at that time.

I wonder if reinstalling Geomod would fix this, but Downloads aren't back yet so I guess I'll wait a few days...
    Any other idea?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Blog Entries

It's most likely related to the issue of switching to a simpler color scheme when Geomod opens. If you click on the related message that pops up you will get a message "The color scheme has changed" - at the bottom is a link that leads to this help issue: "Why are some visual elements being automatically turned off?"
    If you receive a message that some visual elements, such as window frame transparency, have been turned off, or if you receive a message that the theme has been changed to the Basic theme, one of the following might have happened:

• A program that you're running is incompatible with Aero themes. When this happens, some visual elements are automatically turned off. When the program is no longer running, the visual elements that were turned off are turned on again automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    I've already found that on google, along with lots of other forums. They all say a) reinstall graphics driver, which I did and didn't help, and b) disable hardware acceleration on youtube videos, but I can watch them without any problem so it's another issue.
    But now I have found about WhoCrashed program somewhere in that link. Installed, let it run, and it says same thing, reinstall my driver... I have downloaded the driver from motherboard site to reinstall, and I have never updated the driver previously so that couldn't be cause of the crash. This is the report, maybe you can spot something.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 2/24/2013 7:55:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022413-02.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: igxpdx32.dll (igxpdx32+0x3E67C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF2D467C, 0xFFFFFFFFA5135C64, 0x0)
    Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\igxpdx32.dll
    product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT(R)
    company: Intel Corporation
    description: DirectDraw(R) Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igxpdx32.dll (DirectDraw(R) Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology, Intel Corporation).
    Google query: Intel Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 2/24/2013 7:55:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: igxpdx32.dll (igxpdx32!DrvEnableDirectDraw+0xECA)
    Bugcheck code: 0x8E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF2D467C, 0xFFFFFFFFA5135C64, 0x0)
    Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igxpdx32.dll (DirectDraw(R) Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology, Intel Corporation).
    Google query: Intel Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Sat 2/23/2013 10:52:32 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022413-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: igxpdx32.dll (igxpdx32+0x3E67C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF2D467C, 0xFFFFFFFFA5825C64, 0x0)
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 2/23/2013 9:47:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022313-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF2D467C, 0xFFFFFFFFA5667C64, 0x0)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

igxpdx32.dll (DirectDraw(R) Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology, Intel Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It's most likely related to the issue of switching to a simpler color scheme when Geomod opens. If you click on the related message that pops up you will get a message "The color scheme has changed" - at the bottom is a link that leads to this help issue: "Why are some visual elements being automatically turned off?"
    I have XP SP3 and using Windows classic theme that's all grey since forever. Didn't change any color scheme, theme or anything.
    If you click on the related message that pops up you will get a message "The color scheme has changed"
    Didn't get any pop-up and never saw that error in my life, just geomod opens, is loading till almost full and screen goes black a few seconds and blue screen appears. I hope I understood what you were saying correctly.
    Last edited by Vipman; February 24, 2013 at 02:17 AM.

Blog Entries

My stuff was win7 (aero) related.

Have you tried running Geomod in compatibility mode?

Hi, links dead. Could you refresh to link?

Download section of the site isn't working yet, wait a few days...

@Gigantus Compatibility mode doesn't help... I already have XP, I doubt geomod was designed for older windows'es...

Instead checking the Run in 256 colors makes it to work, thankfully, but my screen looks completely horrible... At least I know it's something with the driver afterall... Reinstalled driver from the CD I got with motherboard, didn't help... I have no idea how the hell did it run fine until a few days ago and now it doesn't

Do you have a dedicated graphics card besides the onboard chip?
    Is this a laptop/notebook?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ahi Beyi View Post
    Hi, links dead. Could you refresh to link?
    The download section will be down for a few more days while the new forum software is being set up.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Do you have a dedicated graphics card besides the onboard chip?
    Is this a laptop/notebook?
    Think one of those DirectX reports could show the way?
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 24, 2013 at 07:08 AM.

It could even though I have found some lacking.