Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

You need to move the capital regions to the top in the tool's region window - Geomod sorts the settlements into the descr_strat according to descr_regions.

A faction's first region in the descr_region file will become the first region in descr_strat and thereby the capital when Geomod writes the files.

Hey, first off, thanks for all your work.

When I double click Bare Geomod after opening Geomod I get this error message:

"The following file is untraceable: data\text\historic_events.txt.strings.bin

The program will exit now."

Blog Entries

The file is missing in your mod - check the [M2TW installation]\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data\text folder and copy the file into your mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The file is missing in your mod - check the [M2TW installation]\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data\text folder and copy the file into your mod.
    That worked. Thank you very much!

One more question, did I do something wrong if Bare Geomod won't run in fullscreen mode?

Blog Entries

There is a setting in BG's CFG file that you may have to adjust:
    Code:
    [video]
    movies = 0
    windowed = 1
    borderless_window = 1
    #battle_resolution = 1920 1080
    #campaign_resolution = 1920 1080
    #tga_width = 1920
    #tga_aspect = 1.9
    You can either set 'windowed' to 0 (zero) or you can adjust the resolution numbers to your desktop resolution and remove the hash sign in front of the lines.
    Set 'movies' to 1 (one ) if you wish to see the intro movies.
    The last two lines are related to taking screenshots, for more details about that see here.

thanks again! Something else popped up. When I hit start to begin a new campaign it crashes. Here's the last bit of the log when it crashed. I can't figure out how to upload the whole .txt file. (There's a lot)

07:26:18.689 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/base/descr_sounds_music_types.txt (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    07:26:18.689 [system.io] [trace] file open,,15018398,2751
    07:26:18.689 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/base/descr_sounds_music_types.txt (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    07:26:19.544 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

I fixed a few things but now it just gets stuck while loading the campaign and then kicks me out to main menu

Blog Entries

1. If this is about your mod and not thee Geomod tool then please open a thread in the mapping workshop
    2. Long TXT files can be easily compressed (7Zip is freeware) and then attached here via the Go Advanced option, else upload at a service of your choice and provide the link
    3. Always describe what you have done since last your mod worked - that will make bug hunting easier.

So I downloaded it and installed it and when I click on it to run it it brings up a small window saying Browse for Folder, what folder is that supposed to be? I've tried looking on the thread, but I'm the brightest person and couldn't find it, so to help me could you just tell me the name of the folder?

Blog Entries

The manual will be most helpful.

MystikMocha's Avatar Libertus

For some reason reason Geomod crashes at 47% loading when I choose my mod folder and start it. Never used it before, and did not edit any files. Any clue on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Check in the manual - there is a list of percentage errors at the end that should point you into the general direction of the error.

I had the cursor on the map problem so after searching this thread I checked "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." However I now cannot access most of the functions since it is now at a bad resolution and I can't adjust the size of the window. I've tried adjusting my screen's resolution but that didn't solve anything either.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Adonnus's Avatar Civis

I am trying to make a mod but I keep getting the same error. After I mess around adding a few new cities, all perfectly validated/saved/working in game, the Geomod editor refuses to load my mod any more with the error "The region/settlement is not associated with any in the data/text/imperial campaigns regions and settlements.bin.string file! The program will now exit."

In that file, AND in the descr_regions file, the name of both settlements and regions are listed and spelled perfectly with no typos. Checked and triple checked. I can't figure out what is going on.

When I open it up in bineditor I get this nonsense

⁂⁥⁤⁥⁧⁲⁡⁩⁥ ⁐⁲⁶⁩⁣⁥–⁂⁥⁤⁥⁧⁲⁡⁩⁥†⁐⁲⁶⁩⁣⁥ ⁂⁥⁤⁥⁧⁲⁡⁩⁥ ⁂⁥⁤⁥⁧⁲⁡⁩⁥ ⁗⁥⁸⁦⁲⁤ ⁗⁥⁸⁦⁲⁤​⁖⁥⁩⁳⁡⁦⁲⁤⁲​⁖⁥⁩⁳⁡⁦⁲⁤⁲ ⁗⁡⁴⁥⁲⁦⁲⁤ ⁗⁡⁴⁥⁲⁦⁲⁤​⁖⁥⁤⁲⁡⁦⁲⁤⁲​⁖⁥⁤⁲⁡⁦⁲⁤⁲ ⁄⁵⁢⁩ ⁄⁵⁢⁩ ⁄⁵⁩⁢⁩ ⁄⁵⁩⁢⁩Ѯ䌠漠爠欠Р䌠漠爠欠ठ䌠漠爠挠愠椠朠栠攠ठ䌠漠爠挠愠椠朠栠攠ܠ䈠攠氠映愠猠琠ܠ䈠攠氠映愠猠琠༠䈠攠愠渠渠†䴠栠愠搠愠朠愠椠渠༠䈠攠愠渠渠†䴠栠愠搠愠朠愠椠渠Ԡ䌠爠漠漠洠Ԡ䌠爠漠漠洠ࠠ䌠爠漠洠愠搠栠†ࠠ䌠爠漠洠愠搠栠†ࠠ䰠椠洠攠爠椠挠欠ࠠ䰠椠洠攠爠椠挠欠ठ䰠甠椠洠渠攠愠挠栠ठ䰠甠椠洠渠攠愠挠栠†
    Last edited by Adonnus; October 04, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

The error message is pretty clear, but I am baffled by the text output you get (never seen that before). Not sure what the reason could be, there are no Chinese symbols anywhere in the tool's program: simply delete the string.bin file and let game generate the string.bin file by starting your mod. If that doesn't help then use the bin editor to generate a string.bin file from the txt file and check the result. ('import' txt file and 'export' again to clear any formatting problems - then 'save' as string.bin file)

Hey,

I use the bare geomod and open geomod with no problem. whenever i make any changes it makes no difference. they will not be on my baregeomod game. when i open up geomod again my changes are gone. i definitely save but dont know where its all going. can anyone help? i just want to add a few regions.

thanks

Blog Entries

'Validate' is the magic word. Whenever you make a change in Geomod you need to validate it (provided the button is visible). This checks for errors and writes it to the files which then get saved on exit.

Please remember the issue with the historic_event.string file (delayed loading) and delete the file before starting your mod (after editing with the tool). Check my manual for easier reference.

Hi,

I tried again. validating after everything i did. i saved. went into the files and double clicked the convert_all.bat. it came up a black box for a second then it disappeared. I then ran the bare geomod and again there were no changes. i load geomod back up and no changes are there so i would need to start editing again. i assume if geomod is loading up to the correct screens i am clicking on the correct mod folder etc?

thank you for the reply

Blog Entries

convert_all only works if you have installed the correct python version

Make sure you have a Python version less then 2.7 installed, else install from the applicable download link
    Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.6.6) - for 'regular' operating system
    Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.6.6) - for 64 bit operating system
    What exactly are you trying to change and how are you proceeding?