Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 14 64 89 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
Results 2,261 to 2,274 of 2274

Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Vipman's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

In 2nd post of this thread I think it says the historic_events.strings.bin isn't generated correctly or something and that's why it takes so long to start a campaign. Simply delete it and let the game generate a new one. Though this made me wish for a tool that while open would automatically deletes this file every time it's created...
    - - - 2D ARTISTS URGENTLY NEEDED - - -

KEA's Avatar Hastatus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    In 2nd post of this thread I think it says the historic_events.strings.bin isn't generated correctly or something and that's why it takes so long to start a campaign. Simply delete it and let the game generate a new one. Though this made me wish for a tool that while open would automatically deletes this file every time it's created...
    That did the trick, thanks a lot!

Gigantus's Avatar Whenever somebody calls me ugly I get super sad and hug them because I know how hard life is for the visually impaired.
    Artifex

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    Though this made me wish for a tool that while open would automatically deletes this file every time it's created...
    Fixing this issue was on the top of the to do list, but unfortunately the developer discontinued working on the tool. Personally I run the provided Python string bin converter every time via a desktop short cut - that way all changes are transferred to the TXT files anyhow.

Member of the H.E.L.P. Project

KEA's Avatar Hastatus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I am not happy with Geomod automatically changing files that had not been touched during that session. For example, when I know that there are problems with historic events I'll leave it alone when running Geomod. In PI2 there also seem to be problems with descr_sm_factions that is somewhat "killed" by Geomod during saves. So I don't make any changes with factions in Geomod, but nevertheless have to remember to replace the one automatically saved by Geomod with my backup.

irishron's Avatar Moderator
    Artifex Moderation Mentor

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    I am not happy with Geomod automatically changing files that had not been touched during that session. For example, when I know that there are problems with historic events I'll leave it alone when running Geomod. In PI2 there also seem to be problems with descr_sm_factions that is somewhat "killed" by Geomod during saves. So I don't make any changes with factions in Geomod, but nevertheless have to remember to replace the one automatically saved by Geomod with my backup.
    Sinople has in various posts when he has been online has said that Geomod's language is Pure Basic and anyone wishing to work on it and update it to do so, and you can consider this as permission given. You wish to make an updated version?

makanyane's Avatar Equites Alares
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If you're doing a test/development thing then it's perhaps best to do it in a different mod folder to the one you actually eventually want to use... so you could run things in 'geomod_test' and just move the bits you want to 'your_mod' when you're sure they are correct.

Gigantus's Avatar Whenever somebody calls me ugly I get super sad and hug them because I know how hard life is for the visually impaired.
    Artifex

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If you are not happy with it (commented lines are not preserved) then proceed as Mak suggests. Otherwise I wouldn't be too bothered about it as data as such will not be changed, merely initially rewritten in the 'correct' format.

KEA's Avatar Hastatus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    If you're doing a test/development thing then it's perhaps best to do it in a different mod folder to the one you actually eventually want to use... so you could run things in 'geomod_test' and just move the bits you want to 'your_mod' when you're sure they are correct.
    brilliant idea! I'll do so in the future.

Libertus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I don't mean to be a bother, but I'm a novice modder and I've been trying to use Geomod. Well I read Gigantus's manual and quite a few others and finally figured out how to make a Balareic Islands province. I've already unpacked my game and was too lazy to find all the files I needed so downloaded Gigantus's Bare-Geomod to a folder I made in the Medieval total war 2 folder. Now I'm just wonder how do I get my new map into my main game? I tried to just copy the modded "Imperial Campaign" and replace the vanilla one, but it hasn't been working.

Thanks so much for helping

Artifex

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This tutorial should help: Creating a World - Basic Mapping from scratch. You should be able to skip the graphical part and go straight to the text editing part.

Libertus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Okay, so tried to copy the files listed on the tutorial from my geomod edited base folder to my regular folder. I deleted the map_rwn file. While I try to play game however, it exits with an "unspecified error" and the file doesn't regenerate. Any idea how to fix that?

Artifex

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

There are tons of possibilities what might have one wrong. If so far you have only created a new region, then I would suggest to start over again.

You got two options, use Geomod to create a new region or do it manually. To get to know all the file interacting I would suggest to install Bare Geomod (to have a separate mod set up) and then to modify the map files according to the basic mapping tutorial.
    Once familiar with the procedure you can try the Geomod tool, the manual for it will come handy then.

Libertus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Okay thanks. Ill try it!

Artifex

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

One is glad to be of service

Thread Information