Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 69 94 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 2392

Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Does Geomod simply freeze or does it give an error message?

The main culprit is usually found in the descr_strat file:

• The top list does not include the "unlockable end" section (not mandatory for play but Geomod requires it)
    • Custom forts in the 'region settings' section at the bottom of the file
    • Small formatting errors that the game ignores but Geomod does not (missing comma in the trading resources is the most common)

Generally you can get an idea by looking up the percentage number of the freeze in the manual's list.

As to 'moving regions: first use the region's color to create the new area where the new region should be. Make sure not to paint over existing ports and settlements by activating that display mode. Move the ports and settlements if necessary.
    Now move the settlement (and port) of the old region into the new region (see description in the manual)
    Last step before adjusting other text details would be to paint over the old region with colors of neighboring regions.
    This way all previous details of the region are preserved, eg rebel group, buildings, faction owner etc.
    Don't forget to (re)move the old garrison.
    Geomod freezes with that campaign, It probably will take as much time to find the errors as it would be to edit the settlements in GIMP.

When selecting the color, I verifed that the RGB matches up for each settlement, then wrote those values down, then I created the new regions in Japan. Then I selected border regions with the color selector, floodfilled the old regions individually to enlarge existing regions (absorbed into the other regions). None had ports, but of course had the settlement site, which I painted over that sole pixel as well.

Then in each of the three new regions in Japan, I placed a single pixel for the port using the color picker to set the precise value, then did the same for the correct RGB value for the settlement, filling precisely one pixel. Now what I didn't do is assign in the descr_strat the new regions's settlements since I don't know the precise show_cursorstat coordinate. How do you get that value from GIMP? GIMP will tell you the coordinates along the X and Y axis, so there must be a formula to then alter that into something the descr_strat can interpret.

It would be wonderful to get Geomod to work instead for all of the placement issues, but that seems to be very difficult. While both Bare Geomod is very easy and a huge time saver, and Geomod straight forward and intuitive, more times than not you cannot simply open an existing mod with Geomod. It's more for starting from scratch as a tool. It's easy to make a mistake when placing specific RGB single pixel values, and that why I used flood fill to avoid painting issues with a brush.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 04, 2015 at 10:03 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar Old age is having a choice of two temptations and choosing the one that will get you home earlier.
    Artifex

Blog Entries

Tell me the freezing percentage and I will tell you were to look for the problem Sometimes it is irritatingly simple to fix.

From the manual:

Freezes

A freeze is a program crash without an exit from the program. The freeze referred to here happens either during opening of the mod or when saving it. When this happens, make a note of the percentage displayed in the progress bar and look up the possible cause in the list below.
    - 0% religions
    - 1% rebel factions, map loading (no entry in region settings for rebels or creator, unrecognized TGA format of map files)
    - 2% resources
    - 3 - 6% resources' names, buildings or hidden resources
    - 7% cultures or factions
    - 8% regions
    - 9% regions' names (city, province, legions)
    - 10% resources in descr_regions, historical events or mercenaries
    - 11% descr_sounds_musics_types
    - 12 - 47% character's names
    - 48% victory conditions
    - 49 - 55% ancillaries
    - 56 - 66% character traits
    - 69 - 78% units
    - 79 - 86% descr_strat.txt
    - 87 - 94% campaign's characters
    - 95% campaign's towers and forts
    - 96 - 97% descr_terrain.txt, loading maps
    - 98% fog and cities & ports maps
    - 99% resources and characters maps

By me: Geomod is actually designed with detail work in mind. You need at least a basic map like here to start using the tool.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 04, 2015 at 10:14 PM.

Tell me the freezing percentage and I will tell you were to look for the problem Sometimes it is irritatingly simple to fix.

From the manual:

Freezes

A freeze is a program crash without an exit from the program. The freeze referred to here happens either during opening of the mod or when saving it. When this happens, make a note of the percentage displayed in the progress bar and look up the possible cause in the list below.
    - 0% religions
    - 1% rebel factions, map loading (no entry in region settings for rebels or creator, unrecognized TGA format of map files)
    - 2% resources
    - 3 - 6% resources' names, buildings or hidden resources
    - 7% cultures or factions
    - 8% regions
    - 9% regions' names (city, province, legions)
    - 10% resources in descr_regions, historical events or mercenaries
    - 11% descr_sounds_musics_types
    - 12 - 47% character's names
    - 48% victory conditions
    - 49 - 55% ancillaries
    - 56 - 66% character traits
    - 69 - 78% units
    - 79 - 86% descr_strat.txt
    - 87 - 94% campaign's characters
    - 95% campaign's towers and forts
    - 96 - 97% descr_terrain.txt, loading maps
    - 98% fog and cities & ports maps
    - 99% resources and characters maps

Geomod is actually designed with detail work in mind. You need at least a basic map like here to start using the tool.
    After rechecking the descr_strat, I found a fort, so I semicoloned it. No unlockable issues. No missing commas in the descr_strat. Then I retried using Geomod with the campaign. I now says 10% error with the descr_regions file. None seem apparent unless it's unable to digest some of the many resources used for the AOR versus standard resources for these regions. Finally, a cryptic issue at a specific line number in the EDU. That one makes no sense as Geomod is taking issue with using ownership all, as an error. The 1326 campaign uses that just about always due to the AOR Geomod takes issue with the very first region and after clicking "OK" it happens over and over. The values look precisely the same as other descr_regions files I've checked. Whatever the errors are, the seem to be numerous and difficult to find.

It's back to the brute force method of using GIMP to pixel edit the regions, I guess.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 04, 2015 at 10:32 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar Old age is having a choice of two temptations and choosing the one that will get you home earlier.
    Artifex

Blog Entries

10% could be a missing or surplus comma used in the regional listing of the hidden resources (a spelling mistake would create a regular game error as well)
    Not sure about the 'all' issue in the EDU - I'll have to test that, usually it's a surplus comma at the end of the ownership line that causes that error message

Note: surplus (trailing) commas are causing errors because of the simple way the tool is coded: it expects another entry to follow after the comma, the game simply ignores those 'missing' entries.

Edit: I used 'all' for the Turkomans ownership entry in Bare Geomod and had no problem.

Edit2: The tool hasn't got a problem with the hidden resources in descr_regions - in fact it removes irrelevant trading resources (relevant in RTW)
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 04, 2015 at 10:43 PM.

Artifex

Blog Entries

I think Microsoft is throwing curve balls here. Recently (after using win7 for a long time) I am getting this error message:

Luckily the program still runs once I click 'OK'
    I managed to resolve the issue, here a statement from this webpage for the reason: "The problem is that the KB2999226 (Universal CRT) which is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 failed to install."

I didn't have the 2015 version installed to start with, but downloading and installing the correct version of it (64 bit in my case) fixed the matter.

Thanks for your help, Gigantus. I did it the brute force method with GIMP, then used Withwnar's map utility to get the map coordinates for the descr_strat file. As this is off-topic, I'll begin a new topic explaining what I did to make it work as it may help another non-mapper do some rapid editing of a map.

I still plan to use Geomod as it's logical to use that from scratch to avoid multiple difficult to find errors. That's more for starting with a new mod.

Laetus

When Geomod loads my mod, it gives message about debugging and supposedly "fixing" the "descr_regions.txt" located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\my_mod\data\world\maps\base.
    However, when I save this change I can no longer start my mod's campaign. When i replace all my data files with the ones I have backed up, I am able to start the campaign again. However, i still can't start using the tool without it making my campaign unplayable

FYI, I did go through and find the errors in the descr_strat.txt and EDU files, so I'm not just being lazy. I would like advice on what "errors" could be present in the descr_regions.txt

Artifex

Blog Entries

The errors relate to entries in the hidden resource line of descr_regions. In RTW you could enter trading resources there as well but they have no function in M2TW - hence all entries in that line that are not present in the hidden_resource line of the EDB will be removed for 'good housekeeping'.

If you are working the first time with Geomod on your mod is always recommended to first 'validate' all regions - that way write errors will be avoided. Have a look in my manual for further tips.

When loading my mod into GeoMod a get an error:
    "The data\world\maps|base\descr_regions.txt file has been debugged, it contained one or more errors."
    GeoMod works from there, but when I save ALL the resources have been removed from the file (Explorers Guild and such remain).
    I found a resource that has been moved into neighboring region, but change in the descr_regions has not been made.
    Also debugger said that there are 2 resources in America which have errors so I removed them manualy, but GeoMod still removes are resources from the file each time I start the program.

Does anyone knows how I can solve this?

Artifex

Blog Entries

Check your export_descr_building - see which hidden resources are listed there at the top, those are the entries that will remain in the descr_regions file.

Edit: I need to read the manual more closely next time.

Edit #2: This tool is incredible!
    Last edited by Absolutex; January 25, 2016 at 03:18 PM.

Also, I've discovered a fix for the problems associated between the map and mouse cursor (Windows 10, but it should work on 7 and 8 too). I think the rubber-banding occurs when you have high DPI settings: I right-clicked Geomod.exe's shortcut, went to Compatibility, checked "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings," clicked apply, then ran the tool on Bare Geomod. Now if you move the mouse slowly over the map then it should no longer rubber-band you back to the edge.

Hellvard's Avatar Centenarius

I have a problem with GM, it is consantly freezing for a few seconds every 3-5 minutes, any chances to fix it? It's not preventing me from working with GM, but it's highly irritating

Artifex

Blog Entries

No idea why - any chance Absolutex's fix above might help?

I've been using Geomod for a while now (about 3 years or so) and am suddenly having a small problem. When I open my mod it loads to between 27 and 37% (names) then it says it's stopped responding, then a couple seconds later it pops up loaded and seems to work fine. Geomod has also stopped generating a log file no matter what I do (even intentionally creating an issue I know shows up in the log.)
    I have tried removing all characters from the mod and it still only gets to the 'names' section (rather then the 79-86% desc_strat range where no characters would normally create a problem.)
    I am using the CNP (character names project) which one would assume is causing the issue, but I've been using that for longer then this problem has occurred.
    When I load the mod it works fine (atleast upto 100 turns) and nothing shows in the log.

Any ideas?
    I have re-installed Geomod to see if it had gotten corrupted somehow, but I did not re-download the installer.

Edit:
    Umm, it suddenly stopped having this issue for no apparent reason...
    Last edited by CavalryCmdr; February 05, 2016 at 06:17 AM.

Internet hiccup cause multiple posts. Sorry.

Artifex

Blog Entries

Ah yes, one of those "how do I get rid of the keyboard imprints on my forehead" moments.

Yes, it seems I tried almost everything except restarting my computer..

hey why is there no geomod folder im my mods file?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellvard View Post
    I have a problem with GM, it is consantly freezing for a few seconds every 3-5 minutes, any chances to fix it? It's not preventing me from working with GM, but it's highly irritating
    are u trying to learn maping?