Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The science delusion

Roman Knight's Avatar Campidoctor

Default The science delusion

Anyone with the magnificent combo of abilities, observation and memory, will know that I am an atheist, but there's a problem...

There are people on this forum who decide that they, being the smartest, most "enlightened" people in the world, can "disprove" any religion in existence, and as such, laugh at the believers. What I find incredibly annoying is these people, who obviously don't understand what the scientific method is, yet are self-proclaimed experts.

Before I end my rant by responding to the later posts that will hopefully appear, I pose a question. How do you know/can you prove that next time you drop a pencil it won't fall up?

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: The science delusion

Putting myself in an atheist perspective, which I can do.

Nobody knows, science is a good tool, perhaps religion is too?

The good advice is, see the world from many points of view. You learn more, you can do more useful stuff.

I pose a question. How do you know/can you prove that next time you drop a pencil it won't fall up?
    Because that prediction is consistent with the principles of the observable reality.

Kiljaden's Avatar Centenarius

No one who realizes what the word "proof" means would ever suggest that science proves anything. The Scientific Method combined with the peer-review process provides a method to achieve demonstrations for detailed explanations for known facts beyond any reasonable doubt.

For those of you that don't know, the word "proof" can only be used in mathematics, though it is abused in common discourse. Much like the word "theory" is abused on common discourse, but when referring to a formal Scientific Theory, the distinction must be made that the Theory is the graduation point of science, there is no better way to describe the efficacy and demonstrability of your explanation of natural phenomena.

Having made these semantic distinctions, I personally positively assert that gods do not exist based on logical reasoning and objective observation. I do not positively assert that I "know" or am "certain" that gods do not exist, of course.

In regards to religion, it is possible to demonstrate that religions are false as soon as you can get rid of this "faith" nonsense, which is the singular defense that believers have against reason and logic.

Roman Knight's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon View Post
    Putting myself in an atheist perspective, which I can do.

Nobody knows, science is a good tool, perhaps religion is too?

The good advice is, see the world from many points of view. You learn more, you can do more useful stuff.
    No you're not in an atheist perspective, what I'm trying to say is to accept ignorance, not assume there must be another way to know.

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

How do you know/can you prove that next time you drop a pencil it won't fall up?
    Because stuff that falls falls down on Earth.

Duh. Even three year olds know that.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Knight View Post
    No you're not in an atheist perspective, what I'm trying to say is to accept ignorance, not assume there must be another way to know.
    The admission of ignorance leads by necessity to openmindedness, if it is not an excuse for arrogance. In openmindedness, all possibilities are the same, including the possibility that there are alternative ways to gain partial knowledge.

Whenever one is sure of anything, there lies a problem. Doubt is in terms of thought, the best position on everything.

Djûn's Avatar ॐमणिपद्मेहूँ

I'm an agnostic myself and I completely agree with Roman Knight's OP. There is nothing to confirm that the sun will 'rise' every day, its just an almost certain bet. Just like it is nigh on impossible to show that the laws of physics have remained constant since the beginning of the Universe.

We simply must accept these things are a certainty for as far as we can use them in application, for doing anything else would grind thinking to an near-standstill.

It always grates in my head when a scientist proclaims an absolute - never, always, universal law etc...

Hand of Nergal's Avatar Miles
    Somewhere west of the Pillars of Heracles

Agreed, scientists cannot possibly know everything, there is much that they dont know, and in a sense, for a long time, I was obsessed with science and it became my religion. However, science cannot answer all of our questions, there is much that we cant see, and much confusion.
    The beauty of science is that its laws are not based on opinions or faith or any it that, it makes assumptions based on evidence, proving itself, justifying itself. Anyone using similar experiments will arrive at the same conclusions, so it is in fact the only 'universal' thing in the universe.

For those things that science cannot answer, I pray to the gods for the wisdom to understand, and resort to the ancient art (and science) of magic
    "Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis-and the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars"- Robert E. Howard

Broken Pope's Avatar Ordinarius

I don't claim to know for certain there is no God. I don't claim to know for certain the pencil will not fall up. I simply know the probability for God's existence and the unexpected buoyancy (in air) of a wood / graphite artefact to be roughly equivalent.
    The last of the famous international playboys.

Incorrect.

1) probability of God, undetermined.
    2) probability of the event you mention, very very low.

Uncomparable.

Same old atheist mistake.

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

What I find incredibly annoying is these people, who obviously don't understand what the scientific method is, yet are self-proclaimed experts.
    That's big talk right there. In order to not look a bit silly you're going to have to show that you have at least a basic understanding of what philosophers/sociologists/historians of science actually think science is. You'll also have to contextualise that in a basic theory of knowlege. From the little you've said so far, I'm guessing that your idea of scientific method is a sort of despairing intuitive falsificationism, and your theory of knowlege is probably not something you've really thought about. I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't expect to be.

P.S. This is a pompous post, but you set the precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon View Post
    Incorrect.

1) probability of God, undetermined.
    2) probability of the event you mention, very very low.

Uncomparable.

Same old atheist mistake.
    According to science a premise without evidence most likely leads to a negative - No evidence for or against God means likely option is no God

Not true. In science, God is an unnecessary hypothesis, just like Laplace said. But on the other hand, science is not truth. It is a model of reality, and a method to discover useful things.

Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Jams79 View Post
    According to science a premise without evidence most likely leads to a negative - No evidence for or against God means likely option is no God
    Whether God exists or not really has nothing to do with science. Science only deals with physical units and their effect upon each other. God's existence or lack there of simply has nothing to do with that way of thinking about the world. You might as well try to use literary criticism to work out how to build a bridge.

when you place god in opposition to what is discovered you place it in opposition of your God given ability to reason-- God does not break the law it set down, you should revere science as the greatest thing that God ever gave you, a tree outside of the garden, open for knowledge, to discover a way back to eden with the power of reason.

Anyone with the magnificent combo of abilities, observation and memory, will know that I am an atheist, but there's a problem...

There are people on this forum who decide that they, being the smartest, most "enlightened" people in the world, can "disprove" any religion in existence, and as such, laugh at the believers. What I find incredibly annoying is these people, who obviously don't understand what the scientific method is, yet are self-proclaimed experts.

Special pleading.

You can also not prove that after death we will not rejoin the carebears in Caralot. Didn't you know? It is written!
    Last edited by PacSubCom; October 15, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Science deals with Cosmic Process. Religion deals with Comic Purpose.

Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Science deals with Cosmic Process. Religion deals with Comic Purpose.
    I think religion make ontological as well as epistemological claims, but not necessarily in the same sphere as science.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast