Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the children of Adam and Eve commit incest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Did the children of Adam and Eve commit incest?

This is something I never understood. If there were only Adam and Eve at the beginning like the Bible says, how did mankind populate themselves? If we are to believe the bible, that can't happen without having Adam and Eve's children committing incest. But I find this quite weird, since Judeo-Christian religion prohibits incest severely. Is there any clear answer to this?

Default Re: Did the children of Adam and Eve commit incest?

The Old Testament narrates that Abraham banged his own half-sister and Lot made sweet love with his daughters (even though it also says he was sleeping but come on ...). I fail to see where incest is forbidden in the Bible.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

It says that Adam & Eve were created first but that doesn't mean others wern't created after them, if not that than my guess is they got jiggy with some mokeys or something

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”
    - Charles Darwin

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

It actually states quite clearly that other human beings exist later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon View Post
    Does it say where they came from, i.e. that they did not come as fruit of the incestuous relationships that the OP mentions?
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Nice to know that the Bible Brigade has an answer for everything.

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Octy View Post
    Nice to know that the Bible Brigade has an answer for everything.
    Well, they do have thousands of years of study behind them...

I read a page on a kabbalah link that makes more sense to me than incest. It refers to Adam and Eve as the spiritual forces of nature that we descended from.

There are lots of video’s that look at things from a completely new angle. The site is starting a free course in January .

http://www.kabbalah.info/course/main/bb.php?id=comments

What do you think ?

But never denies that they did no incest. In fact, the guy that killed his brother with a donkeys jaw got relocated with one of his sister who turned into his wife....
    Under The Patronage Of Leonidas the Lion

This forum is a hive of intellectual debate.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    The OT doesn't expressly forbid incest, and it occurs several times throughout it, by the main protagonists, no less. Thus, it's all alright
    This is not true. The Old Testament very explicitly bans incest in multiple places. This has been pointed out before several times in this thread.

Could someone tell me where this misconception comes from? I'm kind of puzzled. I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't know that incest was banned by the Bible: most non-Jews don't pay much attention to the commandments in the Old Testament. But why do so many people actively think it's not banned? It's not banned by the time of the stories of Genesis, granted (almost nothing is), but people seem to think it's not banned at all.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical View Post
    This is not true. The Old Testament very explicitly bans incest in multiple places. This has been pointed out before several times in this thread.[/SIZE]
    Yep. Yelling really gets your point across that much better...

Quote Originally Posted by Murfios View Post
    ...killed his brother with a donkeys jaw...
    O___e

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Incest is a modern construct. Well as compared to the bible anyway. If your the only people on earth you dont have much choice now do you?
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Incest is a modern construct. Well as compared to the bible anyway. If your the only people on earth you dont have much choice now do you?
    The next time a woman says to me 'I wouldn't sleep with you if you were the last man on Earth' I'll be sure to use the Genesis story as a riposte.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    The next time a woman says to me 'I wouldn't sleep with you if you were the last man on Earth' I'll be sure to use the Genesis story as a riposte.
    Hmm..in reality most woman, in case there are no man left on earth but one, would say to that last man only: "take off your pants"
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Incest is a modern construct.
    Do you also agree regarding pedophilia?

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Hey now, abstinence is always a choice.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Garrigan's Avatar Domesticus

The Old Testament narrates that Abraham banged his own half-sister and Lot made sweet love with his daughters (even though it also says he was sleeping but come on ...). I fail to see where incest is forbidden in the Bible.
    Werent they supposed to be some of the only humans "worth" saving as well

Once known as Kasey| Hoplite for The Greek Wars Mod

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

It's only incest if Cain married his twin sister, not Abel's twin sister as commanded.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast