Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop the damn censor.

Well I think we are all old enough and mature enough to handle naughty words. Besides small restrictions such as blocking a swear word can frustrate people. Let us be free! B)

Civitate

I don't know whether or not that is a good idea.

Some people might not care to see f*uck imprinted in every post and might just leave TWC forever. On the other hand however this IS a democracy and we should have the right to vote on it.

Personally I do not care whether all my swearing is blocked but some peolpe might. Create a poll I guess.

I really do not care if we have a censor or not. I'm against it in that I hate not being able to fully express myself with the words that I come up with as I type my posts, but I'm for it so that spammers and flamers don't use curse words in every post that they make.

But in the end, I think it's OK that we have a censor. I mean, when we say :wub: or :wub: it blocks a letter in the words, but the meaning of the word is still there and people get what you're trying to say or how you are feeling when you say it. I just think it's the best way to try and limit spammers and flamers to what they can and cannot use when posting.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

I can truly appreciate what you're saying Siblesz, but it seems a bit of a double-standard to say that this will not limit the way normal people can express themselves, since the message gets conveyed anyhow.. but then, how can this be a limitation to the perpetrators of spams and flames? Won't they also get their point across just like everybody else?
    And then, I think we can all agree that spamming could be defined as the frequently repeated expression of irrelevant, useless and unwanted information.
    Flaming could be defined as the repeated use of obscenities in conjunction with attacking an individual's persona.

In the end, I think it must and will all come down to the editors and our local cyber-sherriffs *knight* to manually censor and even ban individuals who repeatedly committ these cyber-community "crimes."

Banning words is just plain silly, and will always remain that way in my eyes.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Guys, you are starting to sound like hippies here. :wub: doesnt leave much to the imagination. We dont censor your posts, and we sure as hell let you say whatever you want. If you feel you need to say ":wub:" to "fully express yourself, well, then, I d say get a betetr vocabulary. Then again, sometimes even a scream is eloquent.

All I am sayign is I dont really care either way, but dotn make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Boris
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Trobalov's Avatar Greek Pride

All what you say guys about not "cencoring" (although as boris said those * don't leave much to imagination) certain words is sensible. The problem is that even so still there are more than enough kids registered here and never forget that. They may not be active or post alot but still they are RTW maniacs as well and want for example to download TC vids and by seeing uncencored words encourages them to follow the example later on. Also you might say ok but those kids already have learned some swear words. To this I simply answer : I know that, but even so TWC should not be an encourager of swearing or be the first to learn them to express that way. It would be better at least to learn from somewhere else.

Cheers -_-

Life is like Chess, once you make a move you can't take it back.

F*U*C*K

Looks about the same to me. I say dont worry so much.

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

Originally posted by Trobalov@Mar 29 2004, 12:27 AM
    All what you say guys about not "cencoring" (although as boris said those * don't leave much to imagination) certain words is sensible. The problem is that even so still there are more than enough kids registered here and never forget that. They may not be active or post alot but still they are RTW maniacs as well and want for example to download TC vids and by seeing uncencored words encourages them to follow the example later on. Also you might say ok but those kids already have learned some swear words. To this I simply answer : I know that, but even so TWC should not be an encourager of swearing or be the first to learn them to express that way. It would be better at least to learn from somewhere else.

Cheers -_-
    Ok trob, it sok for them to send million sof little digital men to die but they cant heara word because society has arbitrarily put a tabboo on words regarding coitus...that sabsurd. Its not a mater of being exposed to language, its a matter of exageration.
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Originally posted by GodEmperor Nicholas@Mar 29 2004, 05:52 AM
    F*U*C*K

mwuahahahaha
    I bow down before NM's smart use of * to fool the *-replacing automation!!
    Só pra deixar esses gringos curiosos se perguntando que diabos eu escrevi aqui!

Words currently censored on this forum...

:wub:ing :wub:ing
    (the physical act of copulation, you sould all be familiar with it, thats how you got here...)
    a$$hole a$$hole
    (you've all got one)
    :wub:er :wub:er
    (one who copulates )
    :wub:* * * * :wub:
    (thats right, :wub:, a racial epithet, just like cracker, wetback, and plain old "guys from Montana"..which is ostensiably missing)
    :wub:* * * * * :wub:
    (female dog, prostitute, etc...guess what, it happens, deal with it)
    (copulate, though I must say, the word is rather versatile)
    (you probably did this a while ago....)
    a$$* * * * * a$$
    (....and it involved this)
    the* the
    (thats right, "the", because I often mispell this word and im tired of changing it...)
    I see no reason to block any of these words. , and I must admit on further reflection such a system is rather inane. I will remind civitates that they have the power to abolish this. Simpyk post a vote stating the abolishment of the cnesorship of words ( my spelling fixes stay, DAMN IT&#33 . Its up to you...

Boris

Personally, I'm not interested in visiting a board where every post must contain :wub: or :wub:. This is what happens when cusswords are not policed. The censor is not there to confuse the reader, but to remind the writer that he should be looking for a better and more intelligent way of expressing himself.

I have to wonder about people who complain that their enjoyment is hindered by starring out the vowels in :wub: and :wub:, etc. The word "lackwit" comes to mind. My personal opinion is that people who can't put together a simple post without the use of profanity are a waste of my time to read.

Originally posted by morble@Mar 29 2004, 03:29 AM
    Personally, I'm not interested in visiting a board where every post must contain :wub: or :wub:. This is what happens when cusswords are not policed. The censor is not there to confuse the reader, but to remind the writer that he should be looking for a better and more intelligent way of expressing himself.

I have to wonder about people who complain that their enjoyment is hindered by starring out the vowels in :wub: and :wub:, etc. The word "lackwit" comes to mind. My personal opinion is that people who can't put together a simple post without the use of profanity are a waste of my time to read.
    True morble, as I said in my first post, but censoring them seems hardly a way to ensure they are not used. I dotn think ive ever seen a person post constant profanity on thsi site. Im sure if it was, little *'s or not, it would be deleted and edited. again, i must reinstate my complete neutrality... im afarid unpolicing them will sprout people who will constantly use them...and then we'll have to censor it all !

Morble is right once more. Posts containing frequent use of most of the above mentioned swears/cuss words aren't worth reading.

*out of ideas*

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by morble@Mar 29 2004, 08:29 AM

Yet before this censor thingy was it usual in TWC to see posts full of swearing words? It was not was it? What this censor thingy seems to be doing by replacing letters with * is to call all the attention to the swear word. And, as everybody knows what the word is anyway, it is being counterproductive. Honestly, if a member exagerates in swearing he can be warned not to do it. A member who uses swearing occasionally surely does not want all the attention of the readers to be turned to the "dirty little words with a * in them".

And, now that there is this censor, heavy swearing is encouraged, because there is this *, wich means those words can be used at will. I am pretty sure that the use of a censor will not make the slightest dent in the use of swearing on the board.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

IMHO the use of * is plain ridiculous, I see two possibilities: let´s ban all swearing (even in censored form) or even better (and the way I would like it to go) let´s just drop the censor.

Ok it is clear there are many different opinion upon this matter. So I encourage a civitate(or staff although it would be better for the people to decide on this matter ) to make a poll here in Curia about having cencored words or not. Sounds quite simple.

Cheers -_-

Civitate

I have an idea. If the vote passes in favor of dropping the censor and things go badly then we vote to put the censor back up.

Cobra's Avatar Earl of Boof

is :wub: anybetter than straight up :wub:?

Before you ask this question, let me ask you this one Cobra:

Is a post with cuss words any better than a post without cuss words??

Civitate

Originally posted by Cobra@May 1 2004, 08:31 PM
    is :wub: anybetter than straight up :wub:?
    I think people understand the message that is being conveyed. I say we keep the censor. I don't think the site would look any better by having swear words all over. It would probably discourage intellectuals and younger kids from participating. I would think that highly educated people might not want to participate in a forum where it seems that everyone is still in the potty mouth phase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast